Options

Any sci-fi/space operas in the pipeline?

I want spaceships, faster than light travel, energy weapons and bug-eyed aliens. Can't survive on ST re-runs...

Comments

• Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incursion
    Intergalactic war Series following a squad of Human Soldiers fighting Aliens. Each Series is planed to be on a new planet.

Created by Steven DeKnight for Starz. Probably mostly planet bound but I'm sure there will be some Spaceships to be seen.

Defiance

Set on an Earth that contains both humans and Aliens (after a war with said aliens), again mainly planet bound but there's some Space scenes in the trailer.

Airing on Syfy in the U.S.
  • Options
    AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^^Sounds good.
  • Options
    paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    ^^^Sounds good.

16th April in the UK according to Geektown

Blood and Chrome which aired on Machina's YouTube channel may be shown on SyFy
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tenesmus wrote: »
    I want spaceships, faster than light travel, energy weapons and bug-eyed aliens. Can't survive on ST re-runs...

If you like animation there's some decent space Manga stuff out there. Outlaw Star is probably my favourite.

...oh, and there's always ST the animated series of course ;)
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    ^^ If it's animation then you can't look past Legend of the Galactic Heroes - the very definition of space opera/saga.

Non-animation - the two shows mentioned above are the only ones I'm aware of.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Non-animation - the two shows mentioned above are the only ones I'm aware of.

There's also Robert Hewitt Wolfe's (ST DSP, Andromeda) Defender though after being announced as in development a year ago I've not heard anything else.
    Defender – In the aftermath of an intergalactic war between humans and transhumans, the starship Defender, populated by a combustible mix of former enemies, is sent on a seemingly simple goodwill mission, which turns into a fight for their lives and for the safety of the Universe at large. Executive producer/writer: Robert Hewitt Wolfe (Alphas). A production of Universal Cable Productions.

From the same Press Release there's High Moon
    High Moon – Based on the novel, The Lotus Caves, by John Christopher, this imaginative, out-of-this-world series explores a world where the countries of Earth have established colonies to mine the Moon's resources. When a new life form is discovered, chaos erupts as various factions race to uncover its powerful secrets. Executive producer: Bryan Fuller (Hannibal, Pushing Daisies). Co-executive producer: Jim Danger Gray (Pushing Daisies). Writers: Bryan Fuller and Jim Danger Gray. Executive producer: Granat Entertainment. A production of Universal Cable Productions
  • Options
    circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Incursion sounds promising if deknight is behind it!

how has the BSG web show/movie done on blu ray and on sci fi? it was brilliant,would love a blood and chrome tv series
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    Incursion sounds promising if deknight is behind it!

how has the BSG web show/movie done on blu ray and on sci fi? it was brilliant,would love a blood and chrome tv series

I thought the only reason it became a webshow was because Scy Fy passed on the pilot?
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    INCURSION sounds very similar to "SPACE: ABOVE & BEYOND" which aired on FOX in the mid-1990s. I'm in! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    INCURSION sounds very similar to "SPACE: ABOVE & BEYOND" which aired on FOX in the mid-1990s. I'm in! :)
    It's still very early days for this so I wouldn't expect to see it on screen for quite a while yet, maybe 2014 but could be later.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Defiance sounds a bit like Alien Nation from 25 years ago..........

Blimey............25 years..............:eek:
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Defiance sounds a bit like Alien Nation from 25 years ago..........

Nothing like Alien Nation. Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3XKZU459DI
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    16th April in the UK according to Geektown

Blood and Chrome which aired on Machina's YouTube channel may be shown on SyFy

I see that title, and immediately think it ought to be a "mash-up" with Spartacus - Gladiators and (old-style) Cylons going "head to dome" in the dusty arenas of Ancient Rome!

:D
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Curran (Defiance) played Van Gogh in on of the best Dr Who episodes ever.:D
    LINK to pics, and LINK to Wiki
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Nothing like Alien Nation. Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3XKZU459DI

Looks interesting, had elements of the universe created by joss whedon for firefly and i am 100% sure i saw and heard Brent spiner (Data from TNG) in there as a long hair alien.

definitely look it up when released in April.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy_C75 wrote: »
    Looks interesting, had elements of the universe created by joss whedon for firefly and i am 100% sure i saw and heard Brent spiner (Data from TNG) in there as a long hair alien.

definitely look it up when released in April.

That's Tony Curran if you mean the character I think you mean.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    That's Tony Curran if you mean the character I think you mean.

The resemblance between Brent Spiner and Tony Curran, when made up, is uncanny and very easy to mistake one for the other.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    There's also Robert Hewitt Wolfe's (ST DSP, Andromeda) Defender though after being announced as in development a year ago I've not heard anything else.

From the same Press Release there's High Moon

Ah, High Moon sounds interesting. I'll watch out for that. Thanks.