Anyone Still Using a 3GS ( May 2013 ). ?

AnthonymcQAnthonymcQ Posts: 222
Forum Member
I use this as a home phone line, so mainly it just recieves texts / calls when I am out.

I am trying out a new sim in my mobile mobile, so tried out my 3GS for proper use for the first time in a year or so.

I was pretty shocked to see the battery has gone so bad. I did a bit of browsing and it dropped ten per cent in ten minutes...

Has certainly put me off ever getting a phone with a non swappable battery.

It's a shame as its still a very usable phone, though compared to recent phones the speed at which it runs is so noticeably slower.

The value of trade in is so low now (£30-£45) I will just keep it in a dock as an iPod.

Anyone still using a 3GS daily ?

Comments

• steffanglsteffangl Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    AnthonymcQ wrote: »
    I use this as a home phone line, so mainly it just recieves texts / calls when I am out.

I am trying out a new sim in my mobile mobile, so tried out my 3GS for proper use for the first time in a year or so.

I was pretty shocked to see the battery has gone so bad. I did a bit of browsing and it dropped ten per cent in ten minutes...

Has certainly put me off ever getting a phone with a non swappable battery.

It's a shame as its still a very usable phone, though compared to recent phones the speed at which it runs is so noticeably slower.

The value of trade in is so low now (£30-£45) I will just keep it in a dock as an iPod.

Anyone still using a 3GS daily ?

Although its technically not replaceable, it's pretty easy to change the batteries in iPhones. Unscrew the 2 small screws at the bottom and when the cover comes off its the first thing you see.

I agree it's a pain though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Father in Law still uses my old 3G I gave him in November 2011 when I got my new 4S, and, although he isn't a heavy user, he hasn't mentioned about a poor battery, and he would say if it was a problem.

Although, I suspect he hasn't updated any software since I gave it to him.
  • MatthartlaneMatthartlane Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah I'm still using mine but I have just made the decision to go for a sim free galaxy s3.

For me the 3GS has started to really become very slow and unresponsive + battery is indeed awful (I am on the latest software).
  • douknowotimean?douknowotimean? Posts: 1,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My mum has a 3GS. She has to charge it up every day, but other than that it works perfectly fine.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Yes, and so far it's still doing fine for what I need.
    I've no plans to upgrade in a hurry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    if you have an iPhone 3GS and the battery is no longer holding its charge, visit your local Apple Store who once diagnosistics have been performed on your phone will usually offer you a replacement refurbished iPhone for £55.
  • n1guyn1guy Posts: 1,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steffangl wrote: »
    Although its technically not replaceable, it's pretty easy to change the batteries in iPhones. Unscrew the 2 small screws at the bottom and when the cover comes off its the first thing you see.

I agree it's a pain though.

Wrong, on the 3g/s the screen comes out first after unscrewing, basically everything has to be pulled out to get at the battery which is stuck to the back cover, its a major pain, there are also different varieties of apple batteries, you have to find the one that matches the logic board, there is no way of know unless you pull all apart.
  • copthis1copthis1 Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simonpoole wrote: »
    if you have an iPhone 3GS and the battery is no longer holding its charge, visit your local Apple Store who once diagnosistics have been performed on your phone will usually offer you a replacement refurbished iPhone for £55.

What a 3GS?
  • Mark SmithMark Smith Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    copthis1 wrote: »
    What a 3GS?

If it was a 3GS it would surely only be a refurb? I think the iPhone 4 replaced the 3GS as the entry level 'cheap' iPhone around the time when the iPhone 5 was announced/released.
  • Mystic EddyMystic Eddy Posts: 3,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark Smith wrote: »
    If it was a 3GS it would surely only be a refurb? I think the iPhone 4 replaced the 3GS as the entry level 'cheap' iPhone around the time when the iPhone 5 was announced/released.

Correct. Which is why in the post mentioning the £55 price, the poster stated it would be a 'replacement refurbished iPhone'.
  • gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am (although not for much longer). I've noticed that many apps are incredibly slow and often crash now. As others have mentioned, the battery life is shocking when using internet based apps, especially Facebook and Foursquare.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    copthis1 wrote: »
    What a 3GS?

Yes, a refurbished iPhone 3GS
    Mine looks brand new, and they all have new batteries.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    we have 4 in my family, all still working fine