Incident With Cab Driver

Comments

• TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd probably kill him. Ideally with fire.

Or just forget about it.

Probably the former.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    The thought of 'being a victim' is far from my mind. Just pointing out how a minority of the public can do stupid things that could end up into something serious.

What the other person did had nothing to do with you nor any consequence to you.
  • Peachy KeenPeachy Keen Posts: 2,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the other person did had nothing to do with you nor any consequence to you.

Sometimes l wonder why l post on this forum!
  • jasvinyljasvinyl Posts: 14,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And today's subject matter is: How To Pick An Argument, In Three Easy Lessons
    Forum Member

I acknowledged that the first one shook you up and so you reacted in a angry manner.

The 2nd was like.. Wow if I had been doing this or not doing that, then this or that would have happened. When nothing did. Its like making something about you, when it really wasn't.

Sorry but that is how I see it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I acknowledged that the first one shook you up and so you reacted in a angry manner.

The 2nd was like.. Wow if I had been doing this or not doing that, then this or that would have happened. When nothing did. Its like making something about you, when it really wasn't.

Sorry but that is how I see it.

I was shaken up by both incidents. If l was not, l would have not reacted.
    Forum Member
    I was shaken up by both incidents. If l was not, l would have not reacted.

Why would the 2nd incident shake you up though?
  • viertevierte Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree with all your posts in this thread, there's been plenty of times people have done that on the bus or the door has just been wide open because of the heat and I've never been shook up about it because to be honest it doesn't seem like a big deal. You do come across like a bit of a drama queen.
  • Jean-FrancoisJean-Francois Posts: 2,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    Cant comment on the thread in question, other than at one time black (licensed) cab drivers were a law unto themselves, with form for straddling two lanes, failing to give signals, often making U turns in a busy main road regardless of how much traffic they held up, slowly creeping forward from a side road to join a busy main road, dropping off or stopping for passengers at inconvenient places regardless of nuisance caused to other road users although some now seem better behaved these days.

As a former London black cab driver allow me to comment.
    Not guilty on straddling two lanes, almost always in the nearside lane, hoping to see a hand raised, plus left lane could be buses and taxis only.
    I always indicated if I was going round something parked in my lane, or if I was overtaking, or approaching a street that I wanted to turn into, I often did not indicate if I was turning left into a street from standing still at a red light, so guilty there.
    I would U-turn anywhere that it wasn't prohibited, main road, side road, wherever, if it got me from A to B quicker then a U-turn it would be, but I tried NOT to hold up the flow of traffic.
    If a hand went up, I'd try not to inconvenience traffic behind me, but there was no way that I'd go past someone who wanted to pay money to me, and I'd try not to hold up traffic if a fare said, "Can you drop me here please?"
    I'm sorry if anyone got upset at me, or any other black cab driver, but we are out there to get a living, not win a popularity contest.
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My god, don't come to London, your have a heart attack within minutes.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was walking on the pavement and had to move to the left because there were two bins in my way but l was still far enough away from the kerb when this cab suddenly mounted on the pavement behind me and was too close for comfort. I shouted out my disgust at the driver as he stopped a few yards further on to let his passengers out. All l got back was a torrent of abuse, no apologies for nearly giving me a heart attack!

I noticed the cab's right-hand wheels was parked on the pavement when l was having the argument with this poor excuse of a driver. After l had my say, I stared at him until he drove off.

Would anyone reacted the same way as me or think nothing of it and simply walk on?

I probably wouldn't have called him an idiot, but I would have let him know I had noticed his mounting the pavement near to me, by feigning dodging out of the way, and saying something like "Jesus Christ" quite loudly, with a sharp look back. Then I'd have walked on.

It was a bit of stupid, but you weren't hurt, so best to just walk on and forget it on this occasion.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    Generally if I have a problem with cabbies I think "what would Leslie Grantham do?" and then try not to do that.

LOL! :D
  • DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cessna wrote: »
    Cant comment on the thread in question, other than at one time black (licensed) cab drivers were a law unto themselves, with form for straddling two lanes, failing to give signals, often making U turns in a busy main road regardless of how much traffic they held up, slowly creeping forward from a side road to join a busy main road, dropping off or stopping for passengers at inconvenient places regardless of nuisance caused to other road users although some now seem better behaved these days.

Maybe if you are not a Londoner you won't get this, but if I walked out of Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese pub, or Peterborough Court, both on the left, eastbound side of Fleet Street, EC4, hailed an eastbound black cab and asked for Charing Cross station, and the driver didn't make a U turn and head west, then I'd want to know why.
    Sure it would be better if I'd crossed the road and hailed one heading west, but I go for the first one that I see.
    Our black cab drivers know the quickest way of getting from A to B, and if that means making a U turn, then we expect they'll do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JB3 wrote: »
    Is it any wonder so many FM's don't bother to post threads when they get belligerent/know it all reactions like a fair few here?
    I agree.
    That's true, you just get pathetic replies from those who are mentally deficient in some way or other.
    Forum Member
    Andrew-W wrote: »
    I agree.

That's true, you just get pathetic replies from those who are mentally deficient in some way or other.

Or maybe we just have different life experiences and dont need to make a drama where one isnt necessary. Most people would just shake their heads and walk on.
    I dont mean that unkindly, for me its a fact. I dont react or get mad when people pull out in front of me, or when people let doors slam in my face. Others react all the time over things that are not worth it.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,857
    Forum Member
    OP, Why not move to the right instead of towards the road? As a motorist, I'm fed up with the amount of pedestrians who stand right at the edge of the kerb meaning I have to move to my right so not to get too close to them. You might not have been standing on the edge but I suggest you move to the right if you don't want incidents like that.

If cars break down on a motorway, all people in the car are supposed to leave to the left side of the car too in order for their own safety.

As for why the taxi driver might have mounted the kerb, well you could probably shed more light on that. Was it a narrow road with not much pulling in space and he needed to mount the kerb so not to risk his car sticking out? A lot of roads were built in the days of the horse and cart and are designed for that useage not cars, so a lot of roads are not really suitable for cars and can be very tight in general.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was walking on the pavement and had to move to the left because there were two bins in my way but l was still far enough away from the kerb when this cab suddenly mounted on the pavement behind me and was too close for comfort. I shouted out my disgust at the driver as he stopped a few yards further on to let his passengers out. All l got back was a torrent of abuse, no apologies for nearly giving me a heart attack!

I noticed the cab's right-hand wheels was parked on the pavement when l was having the argument with this poor excuse of a driver. After l had my say, I stared at him until he drove off.

Would anyone reacted the same way as me or think nothing of it and simply walk on?
    Styker wrote: »
    OP, Why not move to the right instead of towards the road? As a motorist, I'm fed up with the amount of pedestrians who stand right at the edge of the kerb meaning I have to move to my right so not to get too close to them. You might not have been standing on the edge but I suggest you move to the right if you don't want incidents like that.

If cars break down on a motorway, all people in the car are supposed to leave to the left side of the car too in order for their own safety.

As for why the taxi driver might have mounted the kerb, well you could probably shed more light on that. Was it a narrow road with not much pulling in space and he needed to mount the kerb so not to risk his car sticking out? A lot of roads were built in the days of the horse and cart and are designed for that useage not cars, so a lot of roads are not really suitable for cars and can be very tight in general.

Wouldn't it depend which way he was going on the pavement. If there were two bins in his way, and they far side from the road, he'd either have to move to his left or right, dependent on whether the road was to his left or right when walking, to avoid them.
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Wouldn't it depend which way he was going on the pavement. If there were two bins in his way, and they far side from the road, he'd either have to move to his left or right, dependent on whether the road was to his left or right when walking, to avoid them.

OK then "away" from the road rather than "towards" it.

looked pretty clear to me they were walking towards the road.. maybe not though
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    Wouldn't it depend which way he was going on the pavement. If there were two bins in his way, and they far side from the road, he'd either have to move to his left or right, dependent on whether the road was to his left or right when walking, to avopid them.

Most of the street bins where I live tend to be quite close to the road and it seem from the OP's post that he/she did walk right toward the road too.

As a motorist, I've had a number of times in the last few years, pedestrians just step out right in front of me, and thats the actual road! They don't look left/right, they just step out and I wonder who the OP blames in incidents like that? Drivers or the persons stepping out into the road without looking at all?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because it was a dangerous thing to do and, as l have balance issues, it was only by holding the rail that stopped me from falling over on the bus.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't know why he found it necessary to mount the kerb. The road was wide enough.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the street bins where I live tend to be quite close to the road and it seem from the OP's post that he/she did walk right toward the road too.

As a motorist, I've had a number of times in the last few years, pedestrians just step out right in front of me, and thats the actual road! They don't look left/right, they just step out and I wonder who the OP blames in incidents like that? Drivers or the persons stepping out into the road without looking at all?

I always acknowledged the drivers by putting my hand up if l think it was my error. It's a pity that some drivers don't have the balls to own up when it's their fault!
    Forum Member
    I don't know why he found it necessary to mount the kerb. The road was wide enough.

Well if he was really out of line and you were not at fault at all then maybe you should have got his plate number and complain about him but again, moving suddenly towards the road without looking is not smart.
  • CosinCosin Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll give you a bell OP
  • Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cosin wrote: »
    I'll give you a bell OP
    You little tinker!