Options

sky installer recruitment

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
Forum Member
Hi Guys n Gals,

Ive been accepted to an assessment for Sky Home Field Engineer (yes, i know its not a 'real' engineer job ). I've been looking around online and there is a fair amount of info, including topics on these very forums but they all seem quite old and wondered if there was any installers out there that could give me an up to date idea of what to expect in regards to the interview, ladder assessment role-play and medical.

I have experience working at heights and fit and healthy. so that wouldn't be an issue.

While i have your attention, can you give me an idea of working life. how many installs are u expected to complete ? are the targets and bonus' realistic? I'm hardworking and don't mind the hours / weekend work. whats the training like ? i live on south coast, do u know where i would be sent for it?

Ive been looking to work for sky for a while and very excited to be picked for the assessment. as much info as you give me would be a great help.

Many Thanks

Comments

• Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not an engineer.

I went for one of these last year, the ladder assessment is easy, they just ask you to put on a harness and hat, and boots, and climb up the ladder while attaching the harness to the ladder as you go up, and when you get to the top let go, of the ladder and lean back looking to your left and right with your arms behind you back. If they are busy I think you only do this if you are successful.

First off they just tell you loads of stuff about Sky and the role. You get to meet engineers as well and they talk about it, you go with them to do the ladder assessment. They show you the van as well.

The interview questions are a bit weird, if I remember rightly you have five interviews and each interviewer asks one question, its all different people. one of them was something like "can you tell me about a time you have had to put health and safety into practice?" and you have to answer in a certain way which they tell you about before the interview in an email they send.

The roll play I had was you go to the customers house, they have children and a dog and you have to diagnose and repair the problem , no signal etc. The dog jumps up at you, the kids tries to pick up your equipment etc. They write as you do it but don't give anything away. They give you details of the customer before hand and you have to remember stuff about them.

I failed and did not get the job, there were four people when I went.

Only one of us got the job and he was double my age.

I can't really give you any advice obviously lol but I would say concentrate on how to answer the interview questions as them seem to base a lot of it on how you answer them and not just the answer.

GOODLUCK.
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    the only thing I would need to know is if you had DBS clearance but I would hope Sky make sure that any one representing their product is safe to enter your home
  • Options
    itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the only thing I would need to know is if you had DBS clearance but I would hope Sky make sure that any one representing their product is safe to enter your home

DBS means you have no criminal record, it does not mean you are not a mad man.;-)
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    DBS means you have no criminal record, it does not mean you are not a mad man.;-)

that is true you may have committed a crime but not been caught or charged. but I would like to think the person entering my home was not a threat
  • Options
    Forum Member
    that is true you may have committed a crime but not been caught or charged. but I would like to think the person entering my home was not a threat

they asked if i was ok with being checked for criminal convictions etc . I'm a good boy so i said no probs :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Im not an engineer.

I went for one of these last year, the ladder assessment is easy, they just ask you to put on a harness and hat, and boots, and climb up the ladder while attaching the harness to the ladder as you go up, and when you get to the top let go, of the ladder and lean back looking to your left and right with your arms behind you back. If they are busy I think you only do this if you are successful.

First off they just tell you loads of stuff about Sky and the role. You get to meet engineers as well and they talk about it, you go with them to do the ladder assessment. They show you the van as well.

The interview questions are a bit weird, if I remember rightly you have five interviews and each interviewer asks one question, its all different people. one of them was something like "can you tell me about a time you have had to put health and safety into practice?" and you have to answer in a certain way which they tell you about before the interview in an email they send.

The roll play I had was you go to the customers house, they have children and a dog and you have to diagnose and repair the problem , no signal etc. The dog jumps up at you, the kids tries to pick up your equipment etc. They write as you do it but don't give anything away. They give you details of the customer before hand and you have to remember stuff about them.

I failed and did not get the job, there were four people when I went.

Only one of us got the job and he was double my age.

I can't really give you any advice obviously lol but I would say concentrate on how to answer the interview questions as them seem to base a lot of it on how you answer them and not just the answer.

GOODLUCK.

ok thanks buddy. the ladder stuff I'm fine with, from the sounds of it i just need to get some past experience stories ready to fire at them if they ask.

looking forward to it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    How did your assessment go?