Options

Tropic of Cancer

mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
Forum Member
✭✭
On BBC2 now - with Simon Reeve. Anyone else watching?

Starting out in Mexico - quite interesting so far. I like his style as he doesn't just show the spangly bits.

Comments

• Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :) I'll be watching it later on this week.He's a good presenter.A bit left field but all the better for it.
    He's a an awful lot like Brian Cox on 'Wonders Of The Solar System'(on immediately after).Both very talented guys with a great future ahead of them i'm sure.
  • Options
    juswotmawatchinjuswotmawatchin Posts: 5,252
    Forum Member
    Oooh Oooh Look ........

Yet another programme which involves someone on holiday and BBC have paid to see thier Holiday video.

Loux theroux, paul merton, Charlie Boorman, Stephan fry, Robson Green,

Can someone tell me how to get a TV company to pay for me to do all the things I would like to do on a travelling holiday ?

This Guy does seem to be more Coxy.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    This is not making me want to go to Mexico.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh Oooh Look ........

Yet another programme which involves someone on holiday and BBC have paid to see thier Holiday video.

Can someone tell me how to get a TV company to pay for me to do all the things I would like to do on a travelling holiday ?

I certainly wouldn't lump Simon Reeve together with the various zelebs that manage to bag themselves a gig overseas (I'm not including Stephen Fry) . He usually provides some interesting insight into the places he visits - and i don't think he's in the business of drumming up trade. It's not necessarily meant to make you want to go to Mexico, it's hardly'Wish you were here' and I really don't think it's meant to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't annoy the Mexican taxi drivers!
  • Options
    Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Simon Reeve is fantastic - can't believe the taxi drivers! I like that he - like Charley Boorman - don't offer a tourist guide but take you a bit behind the scenes and keep filming or do something a bit different.

But yeah - safer to watch from my sofa!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Windy999 wrote: »
    Don't annoy the Mexican taxi drivers!

That's generally true everywhere though.
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Oooh Oooh Look ........

I would like to do this job too but then again they probably wouldn't hire me since I would have to avoid the USA, Australia, Italy and the Middle East and any Islamic country. What show did Robson Green do, I can't imagine a more boring travel companion.

I say we blame it all on Michael Palin. I hope there isn't another Stephen Fry as he seemed rather ill-suited for the job as was Paul Merton.
  • Options
    MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Have some charisma and screen presence?

You've got your work cut out for you, I fear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes,

defo think that he is showing us more than just the beaten track. ( lucky to not be beaten so far ) .

He is digging up some resonance tho, very good.

There is a bit of Alan Partridge about him ...( " that bloody hurts" ...wrestling LOL):rolleyes::D
  • Options
    jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    Get some charisma and screen presence?

Don't give up, Robson Green apparently had a show as well. Plus look at all those store dummies that worked on 'Wish You Were Here' back in the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would like to do this job too but then again they probably wouldn't hire me since I would have to avoid the USA, Australia, Italy and the Middle East and any Islamic country. What show did Robson Green do, I can't imagine a more boring travel companion.

I say we blame it all on Michael Palin. I hope there isn't another Stephen Fry as he seemed rather ill-suited for the job as was Paul Merton.

I think this is where a proper journalist/presenter comes into his or her own. Fry and Merton may be amusing (although I have to say I stopped finding Merton entertaining several years ago now), but that won't automatically make them good presenters for a travelogue.

I like Simon because he isn't afraid to show the warts and get slightly political. I don't suppose he has endeared himself to industry in Canada with his expose of their practices whilst mining gold. I wouldn't even have known about it without this programme - one of the reasons I like his style and find it both entertaining and informative.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ouch. Beaten up by girls.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Ouch. Beaten up by girls.

Girls with abs bigger than my biceps :eek: :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Windy999 wrote: »
    Girls with abs bigger than my biceps :eek: :)

Yeah, I wouldn't have called them girls to their faces :o.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Moggio wrote: »
    Have some charisma and screen presence?

WOW YOU are reaaaalllyyy GOOD.:yawn:

You can judge peoples personality and looks just by dubious anonymous writings.;):rolleyes:

I hold my hands up.
    All these others deserve the acclaim as charismatic and camera centric.:):)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WOW YOU are reaaaalllyyy GOOD.:yawn:

You can judge peoples personality and looks just by dubious anonymous writings.;):rolleyes:

I hold my hands up.
    All these others deserve the acclaim as charismatic and camera centric.

I think you would have to admit that you were very quick to condemn this programme well before you had seen enough to make a reasoned judgement.

Surely you would agree that suggesting Simon Reeve should go under the same heading as Robson Green going fishing around the world is not fair or indeed accurate?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I think you would have to admit that you were very quick to condemn this programme well before you had seen enough to make a reasoned judgement.

Surely you would agree that suggesting Simon Reeve should go under the same heading as Robson Green going fishing around the world is not fair or indeed accurate?

I didnt condem it, I just think, here we go, yet another person getting paid to travel around and go/do what they want ?

They would appear to be all categories of Holiday videos.

But I am willing to concede that this is a good programme to avoid this thread becoming of topic and into a debate as to what and what is not a holiday video.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The way the locals were growing food in organic gardens in Havana was interesting. Very efficient use of space.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    The way the locals were growing food in organic gardens in Havana was interesting. Very efficient use of space.

I'm fairly sure I saw some soundbite from Gordon Brown about expanding the availability of allotments in the UK - it immediately made me think of Havana and I wondered if that was what had given him the idea. I think he was talking about using bits of unused waste ground in cities to make allotments.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :( Saw on the news today.They're going Loco Down In Acapulco(the drug cartels that is).Hope it doesn't spread to killing tourists as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »
    :( Saw on the news today.They're going Loco Down In Acapulco(the drug cartels that is).Hope it doesn't spread to killing tourists as well.

Yes - it was a bit of an eye-opener when the guy in Mexico said that the crime and murder rate now made Mexico more dangerous than Columbia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Yes - it was a bit of an eye-opener when the guy in Mexico said that the crime and murder rate now made Mexico more dangerous than Columbia.

:eek: And that takes some doing.
  • Options
    shoulderduffshoulderduff Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Simon Reeve and his travels.
    I remember his Meet the Stans programmes and Places that don`t exist.
    I suppose after Equator and Tropic of Capricorn he had to do Tropic of Cancer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 708
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What an interesting programme, I will be watching next week.