Top Of The Pops 1980 - BBC4

Comments

• Alex_DowlingAlex_Dowling Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the Musicians Union strike affected Top Of The Pops in 1980 I think BBC Four would have it not broadcast during the BBC Proms season like they did with the 1979 episodes.
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe we've had 4 years of TOTP reruns on BBC Four,and the 1980 is a brilliant year for the show .Looking forward to seeing the Tommy vance and roger daltrey hosted show (Bet they cut roger's watch yer backs quip as vance announces the villiage people ;) )
  • merrim01merrim01 Posts: 2,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to 1980!
  • Alex_DowlingAlex_Dowling Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will BBC Four show the pilot episode of new look episode from the 9th July 1980 in 2015 and that was Peter Powell and BA Robertson were the presenters and the studio crew filled in for the acts and that was around the time of the Musicians Union strike.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    Will BBC Four show the pilot episode of new look episode from the 9th July 1980 in 2015 and that was Peter Powell and BA Robertson were the presenters and the studio crew filled in for the acts and that was around the time of the Musicians Union strike.

I doubt it as it wasn't supposed to be broadcast but it would be fascinating in any case just to see the novelty of the crew performing!
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The really big new look comes exactly a year later on Thursday 9th July 1981, but guess what, yep, Savile introduced it so we will never get to see it on BBC4. A shy or embarrassed looking Phil Lynott gets a quick thanks from Savile at the start for doing the new Yellow Pearl theme. So July 1981 is where the 80's begin proper to me as the show I best recall and identify with.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Regarding the 'Yewtree' episodes, can't anything be done for us TOTP lovers?
    I would love to see every episode. Why should we suffer for the sins of others.
    The BBC could re-edit their input if these people must be erased from history. They already edit the repeats for 3 different time slots.
    Or they could also make them available to download.
    There are many others responsible for genocide that get plenty of air time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC could re-edit their input if these people must be erased from history. They already edit the repeats for 3 different time slots.

This subject has been discussed to death on the 1978 and 1979 threads for TOTP. I don't think anything will change. Not showing DLT is a bit rough in my book, but there you are. TeleAddict on the '79 thread even reckons there is a rumour he's doing next months Celeb Big Brother! As far as allowing us to download the offending shows I don't think that is a goer either. Nearly all the BBC's Desert Island Discs are available to download but when I tried to get Jimmy Savile's from 1985 it was listed but unavailable to listen to or download. I had earlier in the year listened to Rolf's but I wonder if that has been removed now as well.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

But not in the role of presenting light entertainment telvision programmes.
  • China GirlChina Girl Posts: 2,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Rich Tea, all set up for the new decade :)

Good old BBC 4 :) New Romantics here we come! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    China Girl wrote: »
    Hi Rich Tea, all set up for the new decade :)

Good old BBC 4 :)New Romantics here we come! :)

Make up bags at the ready.....men! :o :cool:
  • Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You are spotting the posts that offer a download of certain shows arent you?

You can login 4Shared if you have a Facebook account & download them for offline viewing or as Im sure a few of us are doing, converting them to 'proper' Dvd & adding to the collection!

Better than nothing.

Im sure we would like the chap our thanks.

(And hope some git doesnt spoil it by reporting him like before!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I doubt it as it wasn't supposed to be broadcast but it would be fascinating in any case just to see the novelty of the crew performing!

Clips could appear on The Story Of 1980.

You never know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    You are spotting the posts that offer a download of certain shows arent you?

You can login 4Shared if you have a Facebook account & download them for offline viewing or as Im sure a few of us are doing, converting them to 'proper' Dvd & adding to the collection!

Better than nothing.

Im sure we would like the chap our thanks.

(And hope some git doesnt spoil it by reporting him like before!)

Yes, thanks very much and sorry if this subject is a bit old now. I only found this forum a few months ago.
    I bought the 1000 episode and Christmas 1983 episode from eBay years ago. Both feature Jimmy Savile if any one needs them for a collection.
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    I think I'll start a TOTP 81 thread as it's only 386 days till it dawns :p
    I'm also doing it to annoy Jedikiah as he seems to have it in for '81.:D

Haha!

Just stumbled on this thread now! I'm still with 1979!!! ;-) :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UrsulaU wrote: »
    Haha!

Just stumbled on this thread now! I'm still with 1979!!! ;-) :cool:

Don't desert 1979 just yet, it still has life left in it yet! I wasn't expecting 1980 to immediately generate so much comment so quickly, maybe it will be the best and most popular of the BBC4 TOTP threads to date in that case. :cool:

Talking new romantics and I think we are really talking the very late part of 1980 before that starts to impact noticeably.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 205
    Forum Member
    shackfan wrote: »
    How do you know this? Just curious.

My father in law was the lighting director at the BBC.

He was involved in all live shows in particular the Top of the pops, and last year I met up with the late Mile Smith and he confirmed.
  • highlander1969highlander1969 Posts: 6,832
    Forum Member
    1980 and beyond..hopefully. So wish I had my DVD recorder from the '76 run. Keep telling myself 'glass half full'. :)
  • Dan_CbbcDan_Cbbc Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://youtu.be/mTiYKPVaRvU

Does anyone know what this track is playing on Brookside, I thought I'd try here as I've tried the music forum
    Forum Member
    Dan_Cbbc wrote: »
    http://youtu.be/mTiYKPVaRvU

Does anyone know what this track is playing on Brookside, I thought I'd try here as I've tried the music forum

Sorry Dan, It's almost impossible to make it out. Great clip though. Bazza and Terry were legends. I think the guy who plays Terry's in jail now for involvement in a murder.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Am I right in saying that the theme tune changes to Yellow Pearl instrumental come August next year, or was it much later than I imagine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0CFTQkaY1U
    Forum Member
    Am I right in saying that the theme tune changes to Yellow Pearl instrumental come August next year, or was it much later than I imagine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0CFTQkaY1U

I think it's summer 1981 Nosmo.
  • chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    I think it's summer 1981 Nosmo.

July 9th 1981 to be exact.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    July 9th 1981 to be exact.

Which we won't see as Uncle Jimmy presented it.:(
  • UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    The really big new look comes exactly a year later on Thursday 9th July 1981, but guess what, yep, Savile introduced it so we will never get to see it on BBC4. A shy or embarrassed looking Phil Lynott gets a quick thanks from Savile at the start for doing the new Yellow Pearl theme. So July 1981 is where the 80's begin proper to me as the show I best recall and identify with.

I was always surprised that Phil Lynott was asked to do the new 80s theme tune! :confused:
    Because a) He was a 70s rocker & b) It was quite a dancey tune!!

I would've thought someone like The Human League or Depeche Mode would've been asked - or even maybe Madness!!
This discussion has been closed.