Options

Back in time for dinner BBC2 8pm

Comments

• Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    My mum made our own home made crinkle cut chips. I think it was the same cutter for pastry. I use to love having that job to do.

We never had any frozen food from what I can remember.

You could buy a special crinkle cut chip maker in places like Woolwroths. my Mum had one. It was just a piece of metal with a wavy edge secured on a wooden handle.

My friends Mum had her whole kitchen colour co-ordinated. She had a big rack on the wall with all her bright blue kitchen utensils. She had matching blue towels, mugs, Teatowels, dish drainer, even a plastic mat on the floor in front of the sInk!!
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotgossip wrote: »
    You could buy a special crinkle cut chip maker in places like Woolwroths. my Mum had one. It was just a piece of metal with a wavy edge secured on a wooden handle.

you can still get them! http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR5.TRC1.A0.H0.Xcrinkle+cutter.TRS0&_nkw=crinkle+cutter&_sacat=0
  • Options
    suesuesuesuesuesue Posts: 16,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can still get that in most supermarkets, as you can the cod in butter sauce.
    I loved the cod in shrimp one more than parsley, butter or cheese. It was a lurid pink colour and had quite a piquant flavour compared to the more bland alternatives. They stopped making it years ago, don't know why. Whenever I've mentioned it I get blank stares - anyone here remember it (Findus I think)?

As for the discussion up thread about ice creams, for me if was :
    Lord Toffingham (toffee centre as it suggests) though I think it changed name
    Top 10 (coffee flavour, v sophisticated),
    Heart (you guessed the shape) with a strawberry centre
    and a jelly centre one, don't remember it's name
    Eeeee they don't make ice creams with the imagination they used to - bloody Magnums are boring in comparison :p
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    Cod in Shrimp, don't remember that one.

I did buy a couple boxes of boil in the bag fish, months ago, swear it was from Iceland, but I haven't seen it the last couple of times I've taken a foray in there.
    Maybe the portions are smaller but I boil two at a time, 10 minutes after you've had the first one with some tatters you're ready for the other one.

What happened to Walls Rum n Raisin Ice Cream it seemed to go persona non grata for years, you couldn't find it.
    Used to be standard fare for Sundays as 'afters'
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Eeeee they don't make ice creams with the imagination they used to - bloody Magnums are boring in comparison :p

The Champagne Magnums that they brought out for the 25th (?) anniversary last year were fantastic !

Boil in the bag fish..........Kippers still usually come as boil in the bag.

Not sure about frozen fish as I never look in the frozen food section........
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember having chips a lot in the 70's, we used to make a Vesta Beef or Chicken Curry in the cast iron frying pan - as I recall the sauce and rice were tasty, the 'chicken' was pretty innocuous but not very meaty. It was served with fried chips on the side - with bread and margarine (usually Blueband)

When I was about 12 or 13 I started carefully making my own chips, I used to chip the potatoes - which had been washed & peeled in the sink, carefully drying them in a tea towel to remove the surface water. The skill was getting the oil at the right temperature, dropping a small chip in the oil after a minute or so as a guide.

You had to watch the chip pan like a hawk - but the results were amazing, golden brown and awaiting a shake of salt and lashings of malt vinegar.....I only ever had cod in butter/parley sauce the odd time, the smell was not great - but it tasted okay, I do recall having mostly deep fried sausages and grilled fish fingers...
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Yes, I loved that one, the only thing was that it was actually in the 60s and not the 70s.
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Good song choice :D living in the past.
    On the subject of the music used, I believe (but can't prove without research) that there were quite a few musical anachronisms.

Certainly in this week's episode I clearly heard "I'm Every Woman" By Chaka Khan, from the late 70s used earlier in the decade. Worse than that, though, they used the late 80's remix :o>:(

However, they were probably used because they fit what was happening on-screen rather than being entirely accurate; and I'm fine with that.
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    My mum made our own home made crinkle cut chips. I think it was the same cutter for pastry. I use to love having that job to do.

We never had any frozen food from what I can remember.

We didn't have frozen food as we did have a freezer until late 80s!
    The ice box of the fridge may have had a packet of frozen peas in it sometimes.

And we had a crinkle cutter as well. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cod in Shrimp, don't remember that one.

I did buy a couple boxes of boil in the bag fish, months ago, swear it was from Iceland, but I haven't seen it the last couple of times I've taken a foray in there.
    Maybe the portions are smaller but I boil two at a time, 10 minutes after you've had the first one with some tatters you're ready for the other one.

What happened to Walls Rum n Raisin Ice Cream it seemed to go persona non grata for years, you couldn't find it.
    Used to be standard fare for Sundays as 'afters'
    Didn't know rum n raisin had gone thought it was one of the most popular ones. When I got an ice crem machine a few years ago I made rum n raisin. Hadn't reckoned on how 'hydrated' the raisins became so kept topping up the rum which they quickly absorbed. Wow it blew your socks off but was the best R&R I'd tasted :)
    Vienetta was our choice for special 'afters
  • Options
    niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We didn't have frozen food as we did have a freezer until late 80s!
    The ice box of the fridge may have had a packet of frozen peas in it sometimes.

And we had a crinkle cutter as well. :D

Our current freezer has had the same pack of frozen peas in it from the Week we bought it! For some reason we never remember they are there (and the wife has used them several times on sprained knees and ankles, so they may be too good).
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Our current freezer has had the same pack of frozen peas in it from the Week we bought it! For some reason we never remember they are there (and the wife has used them several times on sprained knees and ankles, so they may be too good).

When my rugby playing son lived at home we always had a bag of peas for medical use only.
    Has anyone mentioned Artic roll?
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the cod in shrimp one more than parsley, butter or cheese. It was a lurid pink colour and had quite a piquant flavour compared to the more bland alternatives. They stopped making it years ago, don't know why. Whenever I've mentioned it I get blank stares - anyone here remember it (Findus I think)?

I remember the cod in shrimp sauce but I never had that one as I am allergic to shrimps.

I also remember the Lord Toffimghams lolly, I used to love it. I also think it changed its name but can't remember what to.

I remember a choc ice called Coconut Nice that I used to love. Coconut ice cream with chocolate round it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the cod in shrimp sauce but I never had that one as I am allergic to shrimps.

I also remember the Lord Toffimghams lolly, I used to love it. I also think it changed its name but can't remember what to.

I remember a choc ice called Coconut Nice that I used to love. Coconut ice cream with chocolate round it.
    In fairness I doubt if it contained real shrimp, I'm guessing it was before labelling had to show a nod to accuracy ;-)
    Got thinking about what Lord T was called before; google didn't answer that but I found this:
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/bring-back-lord-toffingham-ice-cream
    So not just me fancying an occasional blast from the past.
    I think I remember the coconut choc ice. Wasn't there also a mint and rum n raisin version?
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,626
    Forum Member

This was my favourite one too, followed by cod in cheese sauce. The cod in parsley sauce that you can get today is utter pants. >:(
    Didn't know rum n raisin had gone thought it was one of the most popular ones. When I got an ice crem machine a few years ago I made rum n raisin. Hadn't reckoned on how 'hydrated' the raisins became so kept topping up the rum which they quickly absorbed. Wow it blew your socks off but was the best R&R I'd tasted :)
    Vienetta was our choice for special 'afters
    Me neither, it used to be my favourite too, but never eat ice cream today, just gone right off it.
    It might amuse you to know that I am making a list of days gone food that I haven't had in ages - Angel Delight, Dream Topping, boil in the bag kippers, to see if they are still available, i really fancy trying them again. Birds did a type of Angel Delight which was a flavoured powder in a box, my favourite was caramel and it was much more flavoursome than AD and cheaper too. But I have found that manufacturers don't like giving value for money and change their popular products for a cheaper version. I dread the words 'Great New Taste! on a favourite product. I used to love Muligatawnay Soup, it was always on my shopping list, then one day I saw 'Great New Recipe', and my heart sank. It looked different and most certainly tasted different - haven't bought it since.
    For years I bought a particular blend of Kenco's ground coffee with fig seasoning - then came the day of the dreaded 'Great New Blend', indicating that the size of ground was now suitable for however the coffee was made. As soon as I opened the new pack I knew the bean had been changed, the aroma was totally different, and so was the now inferior taste. >:( Their Tv advert infuriated me - "We now use the same bean for our instant as we do for our ground". No you bldy well don't! You use the same bean for your ground as you do for your instant - a very significant difference! >:(>:(
    Now Heinz have withdrawn their curried beans with sultanas and substituted the very inferior Heinz Beanz Curry - minus sultanas. :cry:
  • Options
    lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    Birds did a type of Angel Delight which was a flavoured powder in a box, my favourite was caramel and it was much more flavoursome than AD and cheaper too.

Instant Whip! I loved the caramel one too - and the strawberry flavour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    daisydee wrote: »
    This was my favourite one too, followed by cod in cheese sauce. The cod in parsley sauce that you can get today is utter pants. >:(

Me neither, it used to be my favourite too, but never eat ice cream today, just gone right off it.
    It might amuse you to know that I am making a list of days gone food that I haven't had in ages - Angel Delight, Dream Topping, boil in the bag kippers, to see if they are still available, i really fancy trying them again. Birds did a type of Angel Delight which was a flavoured powder in a box, my favourite was caramel and it was much more flavoursome than AD and cheaper too. But I have found that manufacturers don't like giving value for money and change their popular products for a cheaper version. I dread the words 'Great New Taste! on a favourite product. I used to love Muligatawnay Soup, it was always on my shopping list, then one day I saw 'Great New Recipe', and my heart sank. It looked different and most certainly tasted different - haven't bought it since.
    For years I bought a particular blend of Kenco's ground coffee with fig seasoning - then came the day of the dreaded 'Great New Blend', indicating that the size of ground was now suitable for however the coffee was made. As soon as I opened the new pack I knew the bean had been changed, the aroma was totally different, and so was the now inferior taste. >:( Their Tv advert infuriated me - "We now use the same bean for our instant as we do for our ground". No you bldy well don't! You use the same bean for your ground as you do for your instant - a very significuant difference! >:(>:(
    Now Heinz have withdrawn their curried beans with sultanas and substituted the very inferior Heinz Beanz Curry - minus sultanas. :cry:
    I remember the first time I had Angel Delight, went to a friends after primary school for me tea. Thought it was manner from heaven! Went on to mum about us trying it. She must have thought reverse psychology, bought a strawberry one saying it was just for me expecting me to feel sick by so much pink gloop and never to ask for it again. I asked to make it up myself, must have seen an advert with it served in a glass with desiccated coconut and a glacé cherry (I'm class, me!). There was enough for four glasses of it and yes I wolfed them all! Still love it :p

Was the Birds version called Instant Whip? Loved the butterscotch one :)

Boil in the bag kippers with a knob of butter are also still going. My mum loved Heinz curried beans, very old school sultanas in anything curried. Think morrisons still do a version.

Know what you mean by "new, improved" coz you know it means "we've b**gered this product up" . As a teen I used a clear hair conditioner that looked like water by Alberto vo5. It wasn't expensive but gave you amazing shiny hair. One day I was looking for it and my heart sank when I saw the dreaded words "new, improved". It was now a standard cream conditioner, completely different and I've never found one as good as the original since.

Anyone remember frozen cod balls (either Findus or Birds Eye)? I must have been too young to understand the sniggers :D
  • Options
    CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much preferred Instant Whip to Angel Delight. The wrong one was discontinued in my book.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Boil in the bag kippers are readily available in every supermarket !

and they're relatively dirt cheap

I often have a bag for a meal........I find its enough for one just on it's own or maybe with a bread roll

I usually boil them for 10 minutes longer than it says on the pack which I find dissolves most of the little bones........although any that are left I just eat. I also eat the skin nowadays which I certainly wouldn't have done 20 years ago.........:o

I agree with the poster above about 'new, improved'........the ones that come to mind are Heinz Oxtail Soup, Baxters Leek and Potato Soup, Ham and Cheese Toast Topper.........all these has 'new improved recipes' that were awful........although I'm probably going back 25 years for all of them........:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyone remember Dream Topping? Lovely but too much and you could go very green.

I often make up a packet of Angel Delight (or the Asda cheap version) and scuff the whole lot myself late evening.
  • Options
    cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm now craving butterscotch Angel Delight something fierce >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cavalli wrote: »

I have 3 packets of butterscotch in my cupboard and 3 banana and 1 strawberry.

I will be having one later after all this talk about them. :D

Strangely as a kid I just couldn't stand butterscotch anything. Now I love it!
  • Options
    SweetiecatSweetiecat Posts: 1,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lorry wrote: »
    Instant Whip! I loved the caramel one too - and the strawberry flavour.

Instant whip was much nicer than Angel Delight in my opinion. Strawberry was my favourite followed by butterscotch.
    Birds instant trifles gad dream topping on the top instead if cream. My brother and I used to make one if my gran was coming to tea and put loads of hundreds and thousands on the top.

I hated cod in parsley sauce with a passion but liked the butter sauce and really liked the pinky coloured shrimp sauce.

Does anyone else remember the little vol au vents we had at parties? They had a pink coloured 'shrimp' filling or creamy mushroom or creamy chicken made with the chesswoods canned stuff.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone remember Dream Topping? Lovely but too much and you could go very green.

I often make up a packet of Angel Delight (or the Asda cheap version) and scuff the whole lot myself late evening.

I suppose replaced by more expensive desserts in plastic packaging that have fixed shelf life whereas these other would last ages in the cupboard and just need milk. They have also brainwashed the kids to want these more expensive ones by using lots of TV advertising.

Must get some next time shopping and make up using my old (antique according to some!) hand whisk.
  • Options
    daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,626
    Forum Member
    I remember the first time I had Angel Delight, went to a friends after primary school for me tea. Thought it was manner from heaven! Went on to mum about us trying it. She must have thought reverse psychology, bought a strawberry one saying it was just for me expecting me to feel sick by so much pink gloop and never to ask for it again. I asked to make it up myself, must have seen an advert with it served in a glass with desiccated coconut and a glacé cherry (I'm class, me!). There was enough for four glasses of it and yes I wolfed them all! Still love it :p

Was the Birds version called Instant Whip? Loved the butterscotch one :)

Boil in the bag kippers with a knob of butter are also still going. My mum loved Heinz curried beans, very old school sultanas in anything curried. Think morrisons still do a version.

Know what you mean by "new, improved" coz you know it means "we've b**gered this product up" . As a teen I used a clear hair conditioner that looked like water by Alberto vo5. It wasn't expensive but gave you amazing shiny hair. One day I was looking for it and my heart sank when I saw the dreaded words "new, improved". It was now a standard cream conditioner, completely different and I've never found one as good as the original since.

Anyone remember frozen cod balls (either Findus or Birds Eye)? I must have been too young to understand the sniggers :D
    Thanks yes - it was Instant Whip, and butterscotch - not caramel. It was much better value as it made a pint whereas AD only makes about 1/2 pint I think. Instant Whip tasted much better anyway. Glad to hear that Morrisons do their own version of curried beans, I'll give them a try.
    Talking of conditioner, I used to buy a sachet of conditioner from Woolworths for 6d and it was great for giving smooth shiny hair, I think it was called Raine. Sadly it disappeared. :(
    CABINET wrote: »
    I much preferred Instant Whip to Angel Delight. The wrong one was discontinued in my book.
    I think it may well have been a case of replacing it with an inferior product. >:(

:D Sorry!
  • Options
    cikacika Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can proudly claim some responsibility for that. I was stopped in the street by a market researcher when it was being developed to sample various flavours - very slick operation, crèche for the children and everything. Spent a morning sampling. Butterscotch was my favourite!