Options

Scunthorpe couple win £1m EuroMillions lottery twice

Comments

• Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's greed pure and simple to keep playing after winning a million the first time, if anything this will put more people off playing as they don't like their noses being rubbed in in by two obscene greedy pigs.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maximum publicity for WINNERS and NONE for LOSERS

How about those who misplaced their winning tickets?
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    £2m might not exactly be life changing in terms of being able to easily live off the interest.

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I'd quite like your life if two million quid wouldn't exactly change it. :D

It'd change my life, no question. Two million quid is forty grand a year for fifty years, even without any interest.
    I am confident I could live out the remainder of my days with ease on that. I'd give up my job, because the boss gives me the pip and I'd find something to do that I liked doing.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    Nobody would keep the original sum and live off the interest , they would probably have bought a house, treated the family, car, holidays, etc so there wouldn't be a million left

Wrong. I would always try living off the interest if I could. I would see lottery winnings as financial security.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Espresso wrote: »
    I think I speak for a lot of people when I say I'd quite like your life if two million quid wouldn't exactly change it. :D

It'd change my life, no question. Two million quid is forty grand a year for fifty years, even without any interest.
    I am confident I could live out the remainder of my days with ease on that. I'd give up my job, because the boss gives me the pip and I'd find something to do that I liked doing.

I didn't think the interest would be as high as that.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being single, I would want a house, holiday, car, family to share, then find a part time job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't think the interest would be as high as that.

I didn't say anything about interest, though..
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's greed pure and simple to keep playing after winning a million the first time, if anything this will put more people off playing as they don't like their noses being rubbed in in by two obscene greedy pigs.

Why is it greed, its a game there money goes to good causes and they get a chance to win. Your insult says a lot more about you than it does about them.
    Wrong. I would always try living off the interest if I could. I would see lottery winnings as financial security.

Which would be about £10k a year at present rates then minus your tax at £ 2000 leaves you with £8k
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Tbh I've never understood why lottery winners go down the publicity route, no one likes a show off, imagine if someone ran around their town centre waving their bank statement in everyone's faces shouting "look what I've got, look, LOOK!", seems the same to me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say anything about interest, though..

I'd rather live off the interest.
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    Strewth! :o

There really are some sad, whiny people who clearly hate seeing anyone have good luck.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kaz159 wrote: »
    Yes, the interest on a million according to google is just over 40k a year. I could live quite nicely on that for the rest of my life.

I found this as I wondered if the winning money was taxable:
    Q: Does the money go into a special account so that the win is tax free?

There is no tax on the win itself, but if the win produces an income through interest, then that will be taxed as part of your normal income tax.

From Meet the man who pays out the money! at the National Lottery blog.
  • Options
    Babe RainbowBabe Rainbow Posts: 34,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-32149418

And go public just to rub our noses in it .. gits.

That's just bloody greedy, frankly :(

Of course, I wouldn't say that if it were me :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather live off the interest.

Nothing wrong with that if you're very young.
    If you're middle aged, then it makes less sense.
    If you're old, then it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What a loser :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    Why is it greed, its a game there money goes to good causes and they get a chance to win. Your insult says a lot more about you than it does about them.

Which would be about £10k a year at present rates then minus your tax at £ 2000 leaves you with £8k

Not according to the link below. 4th one down.

http://www.euro-millions.co/faqs
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with that if you're very young.
    If you're middle aged, then it makes less sense.
    If you're old, then it makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Live off the interest and make a will stating that the fortune left goes to whoever in the family that's young when they're 18 years old.
  • Options
    Plucky_OctopusPlucky_Octopus Posts: 736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tellystar wrote: »
    I think a million IS a life changing amount- even half that would be as well.those who don't obviously have too much money

I agree in principle with this, but I live in south London. (If I was lucky enough to win 1mil) by time I'd bought a nice family home, done it up, new car and holiday I'd be out of money. Which says more about the housing market but it horrifically wouldn't take long to spend, but mortgage free house so yes life changing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Live off the interest and make a will stating that the fortune left goes to whoever in the family that's young when they're 18 years old.

Why?

Aside from the fact that no eighteen year old is equipped to cope with a windfall like that,
    why should I not spend my money - and it would be my money - as I see fit?

You say you'd live off the interest. You've said it more than once. Lots more than once, I see, in the two threads that there are on this subject. I think we get it, you know.

But not everyone is you and as you must have read - seeing as you commented on it - I've already said what I'd do if it were my imaginary money.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

If somebody came up to you in the street and said inside this suitcase is a million quid in £50 notes and says take it and spend it however you like, no strings attached. So, you say thank you very much and take the suitcase.

A few weeks later the same thing happens. Are you saying you'd refuse to take the money second time round, because I bet you wouldn't and that applies to almost everybody.

It's not particularly nice to call people that have won money in a legitimate way 'obscene greedy pigs', because if it happened to you, I bet you'd soon change your tune.
  • Options
    kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    Well I've won a few times at the bingo and I still go back to play, guess I'm just an obscene greedy pig but I can live with that and the extra in the bank :)
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »

No one who plays gives a toss about good causes, they want to win big money, so what if I called them greedy obscene pigs, it's greed to keep playing after winning a life changing amount of money, it's obscene to rub others noses in it and pigs like these two have their noses in the trough wanting more so my description is rather accurate.

My insult says nothing about me, you may think otherwise but in reality it says nothing at all.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    I wonder if the people who are so angry and bitter at a couple winning twice and only ending up with £2m are angrier and more bitter at those people who win lots lots more than that with just one win? They deserve sympathy these winners; twice their numbers have come up and they have just a couple of million to show for it, yet the guy who won on Tuesday presumably for the first & probably only time has £53m to eke out for the rest of his days. I don't see much ire going in his direction.

You'd hope a second win would be a biggie, not one where you're having to do the sums to work out the balance between a bit of luxury and not having to work again. They have my sympathy and good wishes. Two wins and they're not even close to some of the more decent payouts.
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not according to the link below. 4th one down.

http://www.euro-millions.co/faqs

You do not pay tax on winnings but you pay it on interest earned from your bank which is what I was saying.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they win it a third time, if only to wind up the jealous losers even more