24 Alternatives

I was wondering if anyone knows of any shows that are similar to 24 that I could get into once the show finishes.

I'm going to miss it greatly so I'd like another show that involves action/espionage/politics/etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slightly more light hearted, but Burn Notice is pretty good.
    It's like The Equilizer meets MacGuvyer, and tells an ongoing story of a former CIA agent who has been "Burnt" (forced into retirement against his will). He wants to get find out who burnt him and get back into the game, but has been left with no money, so takes jobs helping people to pay for his living.
    Each episode follows a formula. He comes into contact with someone who needs his help (either directly, or indirectly through other people) and he uses his spy skills to help them. In the meantime he's also getting the next piece of the puzzle about who burnt him.

3 Seasons have been made so far, and the story is progressing.

What makes this show so great (IMO) is two things.
    1: The style it's made in. The main character narrates over the top what he's doing, and it's slightly tongue-in-cheek. For example: We're seeing a car chase between the main character and some baddies. He'll say (in voice over) "When you're fleeing from the bad guys, you need to make a cool getaway. Try and slip away from them."Then suddenly a car will pull out of a junction and block him. The voice over will continue "What you don't want to do is stop. Like this."

2: The characters. Put simply, they are brilliant. The main character, at first glance, appears to be fairly wooden. But when he's in character you can see the actor can act. His alter-ego's are brilliant. Oh, and he's got a thing for his fridge and yogurt.
    Then there are his 2 associates. Fiona is a weapons and explosives freak, thinking every situation can be solved with a little dynamite. Then there's Sam (Played by Bruce "Evil Dead" Campbell) who is just great. Finally there is his Mum, a chain-smoking nice person.

I can't say more than that, but seriously check it out. Give it a few episodes :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another vote for Burn Notice. Another part of the show I like is when he says what his relationship is with someone and it says at the bottom, then have way through he changes it to an insult to the person.
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen "The Unit" but I've always thought of that as a good alternative to 24, I know it's cancelled now but it always looks interesting and has Dennis Haysbert in a lead role. I never had time to check it out though.
  • Captain StableCaptain Stable Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes Craig. I forgot that aspect.
    You'll see someone and the caption comes up with their name. Then the VO says "he's an angry Russian Mobster" and that gets added to their name :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    If you've not tried it already La Femme Nikita had some writers in common with 24 and was similar in quite a few ways. I would definitiely recommend it. Guess it depends whether you mind having a woman in the hero role and as the main character... The majority of the other characters in it were male though and had to help her out a lot.
    Forum Member
    Alias was a load of very entertaining nonsense for the first 3 seasons as well imo...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never seen "Sleeper Cell", but I am informed that it generally appeals to 24 fans
    Forum Member
    Sleeper Cell was good and probably cheap now. I picked up season 1 for a fiver from CEX. It was more about the characters within the terrorist cell and their motives and doubts. It was imo more like the 'thinking man's' 24. There was less action iirc but a lot of tense moments where the undercover agent's cover/life was at risk.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dlm88888 wrote: »
    Sleeper Cell was good and probably cheap now. I picked up season 1 for a fiver from CEX. It was more about the characters within the terrorist cell and their motives and doubts. It was imo more like the 'thinking man's' 24. There was less action iirc but a lot of tense moments where the undercover agent's cover/life was at risk.
    Sounds good to me, will def check that out
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sleeper Cell and The Unit are both excellent shows!

Never seen Burn Notice so I will probably start on that when 24 ends. Probably should finish The Wire first!
  • Alvar HansoAlvar Hanso Posts: 2,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well if you havent seen it, which I doubt, I would suggest the now finsihed prison break

for my money, the energy of the show was similiar to 24

I use to tell people, it is somewhat like 24 meets the shawshank redemption
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    well if you havent seen it, which I doubt, I would suggest the now finsihed prison break

for my money, the energy of the show was similiar to 24

I use to tell people, it is somewhat like 24 meets the shawshank redemption

i've actually never seen Prison Break
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ThePhenom wrote: »
    Sleeper Cell and The Unit are both excellent shows!

Never seen Burn Notice so I will probably start on that when 24 ends. Probably should finish The Wire first!

The Unit and Burn Notice were/are two shows that won me as a dedicated viewer after the very first episode. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, Prison Break is a good call. Well, the first two seasons. After that, it's pretty awful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smerph wrote: »
    Yeah, Prison Break is a good call. Well, the first two seasons. After that, it's pretty awful.

Agreed, season 1 is excellent. 2 is v good

3 and 4 are quite poor
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,737
    Forum Member
    I second BURN NOTICE and SLEEPER CELL.

I would also recommend THE SHIELD (at seven seasons - now ended) and our very own Brit crime drama SPOOKS!
  • SeawolfSeawolf Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Another for Burn Notice, Sleeper Cell and The Unit.

For a look at the other side of the law Sons of Anarchy is great as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think is Thread is a great idea

try human target

just remebered about Dark Blue - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Blue_%28TV_series%29

i love burn notice as well
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    spaintv wrote: »
    I second BURN NOTICE and SLEEPER CELL.

I would also recommend THE SHIELD (at seven seasons - now ended) and our very own Brit crime drama SPOOKS!

Cheers for the spooks recommendation! Watched the 1st ep...Love it!
    :)
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member
    Human Target