Options

What keeps you awake at night?

Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
Forum Member
✭✭
As it's Friday the 13th and in honour oif the horror film... what films, TV or literature gets your imagination racing and keeps you awake late into the small hours?

I started watching a documentary about ancient alien visitations at about midnight last night which was a bad move. Despite every rational bone in my body telling me it's all rubbish ad that even if there were aliens out there abducting people the odds they chose me are about 7 billion to 1, I still get that childish "what's in the wardrobe, what's under the bed?" feeling!

Another one for me is sharks. I mlove them and am fascinated by them and would love to swim with them but I have a chidlhood trauma from watching Jaws when I was about 6 or 7 and have had an over-active imagination in that direction ever since. Interestingly although I have repetative dreams about aliens (the actual Xenomorphs form the films) I don't have dreams about sharks?!

So what sparks your rational or irrational fears and keeps sleep at arms length?

Comments

• Options
    Miasima GoriaMiasima Goria Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    My lodger, scratching and my bedroom door whilst whimpering.
  • Options
    wallo mr slugwallo mr slug Posts: 9,734
    Forum Member
    I used to have this irrational fear that there was a wasps nest under my pillow (I had some bad experiences as my dad was a pest controller) but if I stayed still on my pillow they wouldn't come out...
  • Options
    PoisonDwarf18PoisonDwarf18 Posts: 6,902
    Forum Member
    Demons and nasty stuff. :(
  • Options
    calamitycalamity Posts: 12,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nothing , I sleep like a log, and I feel for anyone who has sleep problems.
  • Options
    Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    Stress!
  • Options
    Bobby RalgexBobby Ralgex Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alien brain spores, floating through space towards Earth.
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wifes' overactive libido. :yawn:
  • Options
    KBBJKBBJ Posts: 10,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smallville repeats and boxsets.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital spy threads.

I worry about the people on here.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crabs
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    not sleeping.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,455
    Forum Member
    I usually sleep well every night, because I stay awake watching TV until I can't keep my eyes open.

But if I have something exciting the next day, or something horrible and makes me nervous, then I will be awake all night :(
  • Options
    excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assa2 wrote: »
    As it's Friday the 13th and in honour oif the horror film... what films, TV or literature gets your imagination racing and keeps you awake late into the small hours?

I still get that childish "what's in the wardrobe, what's under the bed?" feeling!

So what sparks your rational or irrational fears and keeps sleep at arms length?

This covers it - taken at a convention but watchable, coming soon to FX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBiI6YRfWIY&feature=related
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My girlfriend....;) :D
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Cat and / or the crack heads that live on my road.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,335
    Forum Member
    Wasps in my room. I got a couple buzzing round my room in the night a couple of weeks ago.

Foxes yelping outside the house

If there is a noise - when I stay in hotels, I hear doors banging and people talking in the corridors.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont really have trouble sleeping. But, i have had my moments.

I am scared shitless of insects. Spiders in particular. If i see one in my bedroom before i go to sleep, even if its been removed (which is has to be) i cant get rid of it. I dream about spiders coming out of the pillows and invading me.

I think thats the only thing that makes me loose sleep.
  • Options
    Special K_Special K_ Posts: 6,320
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »

I am scared shitless of insects. Spiders in particular. If i see one in my bedroom before i go to sleep, even if its been removed (which is has to be) i cant get rid of it. I dream about spiders coming out of the pillows and invading me.

I am scared shitless of insects too. If I see a spider in my bedroom and it's too big or moves to fast to kill it I will sleep on the sofa in my lounge. I remember once waking up with a spider on my mouth!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My 8 month old son, at 1am, 4am and 6am!!!!!
  • Options
    Kenco KingKenco King Posts: 19,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing Really as I sleep very well indeed.

About 3 weeks ago mind you, I was Woken up around 3am by a Thunderstorm.
  • Options
    wildmovieguywildmovieguy Posts: 8,342
    Forum Member
    A huge erection. Sometimes it just wont go away.
  • Options
    India_RainIndia_Rain Posts: 2,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guilty conscience.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately last night it was watching 3 guys 1 hammer after reading about it on the curiosity thread. I saw about 90 seconds worth, absolutely dreadful.
    Kept waking with a start all night. I'm not usually squeamish, but to think that people could be so evil is shocking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »

Me too! I also worry about spiders under my pillow or coming up behind the headboard. Once I've got that in my head I just can't sleep!

Worrying about my kids also keeps me awake
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Special K_ wrote: »
    I am scared shitless of insects too. If I see a spider in my bedroom and it's too big or moves to fast to kill it I will sleep on the sofa in my lounge. I remember once waking up with a spider on my mouth!

Aaargh!!! On your mouth? Bleurgh :(