DOGS. Here to stay it seems

Comments

• i4ui4u Posts: 54,939
    Forum Member
    horns wrote: »
    Er, sorry? You've lost me. :confused:

Maybe someone will buy you a DOG for christmas, dare I suggest you read the thread and all will become clear.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've read the thread, but your last post seemed to make little sense. If you were making a point, please elaborate and I'll be happy to address it.
  • Victim Of FateVictim Of Fate Posts: 5,157
    Forum Member
    i4u wrote: »
    Maybe someone will buy you a DOG for christmas, dare I suggest you read the thread and all will become clear.

I think horns is asking - and correct me if I'm wrong horns - in what capacity you heard a senior programme exec fail to understand the need for something to be edited down from filmed material to aired material.

Was this someone you personally know, is it hearsay, is it something you read or saw on TV? It seems unbelievable that someone in that position wouldn't understand the need for editing, so it would be useful to know in what context this was said. Your entire claim that "quite often senior execs don't understand" is based on this.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    The capacity of being able to correct someones insight in thinking DOGS are always top left and of a certain size thus enabling programme makers to allow for DOGs when shooting material.

This is the post I'm confused by. I'm assuming the 'someone' refers to me - although please note that at no point was I self-aggrandising enough to use the word 'insight' to describe what I post.

I don't remember making any claim that DOGs are always in the same position. There is certainly no need for such an assumption for us to be able to allow for DOGs when making a programme. We generally know whch broadcaster we're producing a show for, and they provide us with a detailed technical specification to adhere to, which would include the precise location of any DOG.

As far as I can tell, that seems to be the point the poster was trying to make. If I've misunderstood, hopefully they will let me know...
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    horns wrote: »
    if getting your logo on screen has little value, why would so many companies be so keen on sponsoring sporting events?

i didn't say the presence of a logo had no value though.

what i did say was that an omnipresent logo during programmes likely adds little to all the other promotion / branding on a tv channel.

also, your sporting analogy doesn't quite work, because in the vast majority of cases people already know what channel they are watching.

you also didn't really answer the questions in the post you replied to, which were :

why do they want to create that association?

having created that association, what do they then hope people will do?

Iain
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we've covered those points amply already, to be honest.
  • QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm gonna sound really thick, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

What's a "DOG" ?? I'm assuming it's not a woofwoof variety...
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    QTC13 wrote: »
    I'm gonna sound really thick, but I'm gonna ask anyway.

What's a "DOG" ?? I'm assuming it's not a woofwoof variety...

It stands for Digital on-screen graphic and really means anything that is displayed on the screen apart from the content you are watching. But what we are on about here are the ones that stick on the top left or right of the screen that tells us what channel we are watching as if we don't already know
  • jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,627
    Forum Member
    I'd be interested to know if it's only old fogeys like me who find DOGs so distracting.

Is it just those of us who grew up having only two or three channels of clean pictures to watch?
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    It stands for Digital on-screen graphic and really means anything that is displayed on the screen apart from the content you are watching. But what we are on about here are the ones that stick on the top left or right of the screen that tells us what channel we are watching as if we don't already know

And also "digitally-originated graphic".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackthom wrote: »
    I'd be interested to know if it's only old fogeys like me who find DOGs so distracting.

Is it just those of us who grew up having only two or three channels of clean pictures to watch?

I can remember that and I'm only 38. How old are you, you young whippersnapper? ;)
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    I can remember that and I'm only 38. How old are you, you young whippersnapper? ;)

You're just a bairn. I'm looking forward to getting my free bus pass next year. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're just a bairn. I'm looking forward to getting my free bus pass next year. :cool:

Bah! Pensioners get everything ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »

Ah thanks for that.

I think sometimes they (the DOGS) are more interesting than the programmes lately.:D:eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm 32 and if I'm honest, I hardly notice them :o - reading this thread makes me feel like I'm missing the point, or missing the DOG :D

I don't actually watch alot of TV anyway, probably not enough to notice such an irritation.

I'm watching ITV2 now and find myself keep looking at the top left corner to see if it's still there :mad: Think this thread has started something now:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm 32 and if I'm honest, I hardly notice them :o - reading this thread makes me feel like I'm missing the point, or missing the DOG :D

I don't actually watch alot of TV anyway, probably not enough to notice such an irritation.

I'm watching ITV2 now and find myself keep looking at the top left corner to see if it's still there :mad: Think this thread has started something now:mad:

Sounds like cue-dots at the cinema, every 20 minutes during a film (at the reel change - not that you get that so much these days as it's all digital). Once you're told about them, you'll always spot them.

Here's a link about DOGs:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_on-screen_graphic
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like cue-dots at the cinema, every 20 minutes during a film (at the reel change - not that you get that so much these days as it's all digital). Once you're told about them, you'll always spot them.

Here's a link about DOGs:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_on-screen_graphic

Thanks for that link.

I can't believe there is such a lot of "uproar" from viewers over such a tiny thing. lol, that said, I hadn't actually paid much attention to it before and I might end up regretting asking what a DOG was in the first place:o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that link.

I can't believe there is such a lot of "uproar" from viewers over such a tiny thing. lol, that said, I hadn't actually paid much attention to it before and I might end up regretting asking what a DOG was in the first place:o

Well, (a) they're pointless from a viewer's point of view, as they're just a branding exercise and they deface what you're watching, often ending up stamped on people's foreheads and looking very out of place when you get something like a new drama on BBC4, and shining like a beacon during a dark film or TV show, and (b) If you tolerate that, then you can see what will be next, as shown on CBBC with an animated logo.

Don't forget that BBC1, BBC2 and C4 also tried to put them on digital versions of their channels back in the late 90s but people power got rid of them. Same on Sky Movies. Not sure if Film4 once had one, though.

The BBC had a logo like "BBC ONE NORTHERN IRELAND" scrawled across the screen of that variant and looked ridiculous.

That is why there is an uproar.

It's also led to IPPs (in-programme pointers) like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyAAojv-A5M

and also the end-credit squeezing you see along with continuity announcers yapping away about nothing in particular (the latter being around the longest out of these)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, (a) they're pointless from a viewer's point of view, as they're just a branding exercise and they deface what you're watching, often ending up stamped on people's foreheads and looking very out of place when you get something like a new drama on BBC4, and shining like a beacon during a dark film or TV show, and (b) If you tolerate that, then you can see what will be next, as shown on CBBC with an animated logo.

Don't forget that BBC1, BBC2 and C4 also tried to put them on digital versions of their channels back in the late 90s but people power got rid of them. Same on Sky Movies. Not sure if Film4 once had one, though.

The BBC had a logo like "BBC ONE NORTHERN IRELAND" scrawled across the screen of that variant and looked ridiculous.

That is why there is an uproar.

It's also led to IPPs (in-programme pointers) like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyAAojv-A5M

and also the end-credit squeezing you see along with continuity announcers yapping away about nothing in particular (the latter being around the longest out of these)

I didn't mean to imply that the uproar wasn't justified. I think because I hadn't noticed it before, it hadn't come to get on my nerves as it clearly does alot of people.

The one thing that I do get annoyed about is when they tell you "what's up next" before the previous programme has finished.
    Forum Member

Oh dear, I hope you can easily go back to ignoring them. :)

I've just about given up trying to get used to DOGs. Fortunately I have a fair selection of DVD boxed sets to get through, plus Sky Movies.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, I hope you can easily go back to ignoring them. :)

I've just about given up trying to get used to DOGs. Fortunately I have a fair selection of DVD boxed sets to get through, plus Sky Movies.

I've given up for today and gone back to ITV 1 lol. :D:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    I find it interesting that 4HD is broadcasting Any Human Heart DOG free (and its all the better for it).

I wonder where this decision came from.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it interesting that 4HD is broadcasting Any Human Heart DOG free (and its all the better for it).

I wonder where this decision came from.

Do they do that with any other HD programmes? I always found it odd they did it on the very programmes which are meant to be in high quality and so should be free of clutter.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear! The biggest IPP ever?
    http://www.pop.is/26pc1
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you would certianly struggle to focus on the guy on the left, whilst he was speaking