Options

Surely Bye Bye Hodgson

Comments

• Options
    TheMaskTheMask Posts: 10,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy Carroll wouldn't be a bad shout in January for you lot. Newcastle won't want to let him go but......well, tough.

Believe me you offer enough and the owner will let him go,,,he has no loyalties to anyone at Newcastle
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    TheMask wrote: »
    Believe me you offer enough and the owner will let him go,,,he has no loyalties to anyone at Newcastle

He does.

The player, not the owner.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    He does.

does he...his past recored would put up a decent argument against that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I like Dempsey. I think £20m may be their first demand but they're seriously deluded if they think they'll end up getting that.

Quarter that and it's generous.

Decent player but that all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TheMask wrote: »
    does he...his past recored would put up a decent argument against that

Re read
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Re read

You made an edit after my post.

Regarding the palyer he may have loyalties..but if enough is offered then he would go...and once the agent is involved..well we all know what there like
  • Options
    misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/8233975/Liverpool-actively-considering-replacing-Roy-Hodgson-should-right-candidate-become-available.html
    Liverpool actively considering replacing Roy Hodgson should right candidate become available
    Liverpool’s owners are convinced Roy Hodgson is not the man to lead the club forward in the long-term and are actively considering replacing him midway through the season, should the right candidate become available.

Fenway Sports Group, who bought Liverpool in October, had hoped to allow Hodgson to continue until the end of the season before reviewing his position, but their concerns over his relationship with the club’s fans and the team’s seemingly endless on-pitch troubles are now so great they are reconsidering their plans.

The group’s principal backers, Tom Werner and John W Henry, would prefer to make their first appointment a permanent one – seemingly ruling out a return for Kenny Dalglish, the fans’ clear choice, as caretaker – and they are believed to be examaining the credentials of a number of candidates.

They will not sack Hodgson, though, without knowing their preferred replacement is available and willing to move, raising the possibility that the 63-year-old will continue in control for the foreseeable future despite failing to win over either the club’s owners or the Anfield crowd.

FSG – who appointed Theo Epstein as General Manager of the Boston Red Sox at the age of 28 – hope to attract a young, ambitious coach to revitalise the club after two years of regression under Hodgson and his predecessor, Rafael Benitez.

In charge of a club where risky appointments have, for more than half a century, been frowned upon – Jose Mourinho was disregarded in 2004 because of his penchant for self-publicity – FSG are certain that only breaking with that tradition will jolt Liverpool back to life.

The likes of Frank Rijkaard, the former Barcelona manager, Andre Villas Boas, of Porto, Borussia Dortmund coach Jurgen Klopp and Didier Deschamps, of Marseille, would all fit those criteria, though only Rijkaard – at 48, the oldest of the contenders – is currently available. Owen Coyle, too, would be both difficult and expensive to entice away from Bolton mid-season.

Though Hodgson moved to stem the growing tide of anger among Liverpool’s supporters for his perceived criticism of the Anfield crowd during Wednesday’s 1-0 defeat to Wolves – more than 9,000 people have signed an online petition calling for his dismissal – his contrition is unlikely to quell FSG’s fears that his relationship with the fans is beyond repair.

“I certainly regret if I have offended them in any way,” said the Liverpool manager. “It was in no way meant to be an offensive comment on my part. I went on to say that, while describing my situation as not being able to win the fans over with performances, I was taking responsibility and fully understood and empathised with them.

“There is no way I would want to do that and there is no way that would be justified because everyone knows the support from Liverpool’s fans is the best in the country. I am also fully aware that to get the best out of that support, you have to give them something to look forward to supporting.”

It is that problem which is at the root of his employers’ growing discontent with Hodgson’s reign. Henry and Werner are thought to feel that the former Fulham manager is unlikely to elicit the best from Liverpool squad, while his failure to address the team’s myriad problems in his six months in charge has frustrated the owners.

They cannot doubt, though, that Hodgson himself is suffering, describing the aftermath of the Wolves game as one of the loneliest periods of his long career.

“Lonely is not the wrong word to use because to be quite honest, you do not want company any way,” he said. “You want to be left alone with your thoughts – which are not pleasant thoughts – but you do not have the desire to do anything but sit around with those thoughts.

“It is a lonely job being a manager of a top club. You cannot expect people to help you too much. The staff are very good and supportive, and the players, too, but your family is very important at times like these. They try to encourage you that life isn’t all doom and gloom. That is what you have to cling on to.”

Such problems, Hodgson admits, seem a world away from the triumphalism of his final season at Fulham, the achievements of which earned him the Liverpool job, as well as the LMA Manager of the Year award.

He said: “It seems a long time ago, doesn’t it? It has been an uphill struggle for me here. I have had a lot of situations to deal with. There have been these very big setbacks which have thrown me into the firing line. I accept it as being part of a big club and taking a job of this stature.

“Coming to Liverpool for me was a pinnacle. It was a reward for the work I had put in not just at Fulham but in the years before. It was a recognition of my competence and you hope you can keep flying forward. [But] I saw a quote from Benjamin Disraeli when he became Prime Minister saying he had climbed to the top of the greasy pole. That is what we do as managers.”
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you actively consider something? For that matter how do you inactively consider something?

You have to love how the media try to rehash the same bit of basic speculation over and over don't you.

Then having said that they then explain Hodgson will be there for the foreseeable. All bases and possibilities covered.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That article is complete and utter pish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Similar article in The Independent.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/anfield-owners-ready-to-ditch-hodgson-for-the-right-man-2173188.html

I don't think the articles tell us anything we didn't think was already the case. Basically, the owners have decided Hodgson isn't the man to take us forward, are looking already at options. If the man they deem to be the best choice is available now they will bring him in straight away, but if he is not available until the summer then they will wait until then. Not exactly surprising stuff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Hetal wrote: »
    As a Villa fan, I admit his a good motivational manager, but that's as far as it goes. The only reason he got us to 6th three times in a row was due to a strong financial backing, which he knew wouldn't be possible this season and left.

- He leaves transfers deals to the last minute
    - The majority of players he bought were average or bad
    - Half of the players he bought were then dropped and never played again
    - Expect to see hoof football
    - He didn't win us anything. Would Liverpool want that?
    - Worst of all. He left us 5 days before the first match which is just shocking. He cares more about his personal pride than the club. His left alot of useless players in our squad who are by the way, some of the most spoilt tossers in the premier league and deserve to be in championship teams
    Which players are you talking about?
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    *HB* wrote: »
    Which players are you talking about?

Curtis Davis and Steve Sidwell is two I already can think of.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the articles tell us is that someone at LFC has been sanctioned to let certain journalists know that NESV will replace Hodgson sooner rather than later (Rory Smith and Tony Barrett are on the inside track with regard to LFC)
  • Options
    Pink_PounderPink_Pounder Posts: 13,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm torn now, if Liverpool do well and Hodgson takes them up the table, I'll be proved right but it'd mean Liverpool winning.

Whereas if the opposite happens....
  • Options
    alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    Alan, how does the list of bad rafa signings equate to the signings of Roy in a hurry?

Do you think roys summer of hurried poor signings is worse than all rafas bad ones or if you forgive rafa the bad ones does Roy deserve a proper chance to make his own considered signings?

Genuine question mate.

Neither are great are they!! - I honestly don't know!!

At least with Rafa you could pick out some gems, with Roy none have really worked - altho a lot of people talk up Meireles and yes he does look like a player so far he has not had stand out games for me, only 'promising' ones. But I think with a new boss and in his best role he could be a key player for us in the future. The others (Poul, Kon, Jones) do not look as if they have a long term LFC future altho I have not liked the way some fans have turned on these players and maybe think they deserve a chance with a new boss. Cole is the really interesting one - how has he become so bad? was he always like this? - I've no idea but hopefully one day he may have a decent game or two for LFC

A big question tbh is how much do managers choose their signings these days? - it now seems as if Comolli is in charge at LFC and in Rafas time it was Macia (who has left the club now - only a few weeks ago mind - thank God!!).

Most LFC fans are horrified at Roy spending any money in January and I doubt it will happen but he is not thick, he does understand the game and with his expereince should be able to recognise a good player so maybe he should have a chance with Comolli to pick some out for us - altho if having got them whether he could then bring out the best in them is another issue.

Sometimes you know I look at players and think 'he is a good player, but its only cos of the team hes in and how its playing, I then think if LFC got 'him' (whoever 'him' is) he would not be able to transform our team and soon would go down to our level. Its almost as if we need a total overhaul of the whole club - loads out, loads in ...etc!!!
  • Options
    MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You were in absolute freefall under Benitez my darling. Any other description would be inaccurate.

Finishing 2nd the season before and ending up in 7th the season after is...freefall.
    So Chelsea are in freefall now then under Ancelotti? Do you suggest he should be sacked?
    2nd - 7th is very similar to 1st -5th?
    Or failing that he was an average manager in a league when foreign is in fashion who won a CL and dined out on it from then on supported by the signing of a striker who scored a volume of goals that he had shown no inclination of scoring previously.

Is Ancelotti just an average foreign manager too then? Taking a prem winning Chelsea team to a poor 5th place? Because thats basically what you are saying about Benitez?
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chelsea need to finish 5th before such comparisons can be made, surely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    Chelsea need to finish 5th before such comparisons can be made, surely.

Not forgetting he also won the double in his 1st season which is a lot different to finishing 2nd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Malbren wrote: »
    So Chelsea are in freefall now then under Ancelotti? Do you suggest he should be sacked?
    2nd - 7th is very similar to 1st -5th?

Is Ancelotti just an average foreign manager too then? Taking a prem winning Chelsea team to a poor 5th place? Because thats basically what you are saying about Benitez?

Yes, he is average at best.

As was "big Phil" when I said he was crap.

Foreign does not equal good. Benitez was average at best, Scolari was shocking and Ancelotti is a decent man but he ain't pulling up any trees. For the record Grant is crap too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If chelsea finish 7th, they would have been in free-fall, yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, he is average at best.

As was "big Phil" when I said he was crap.

Foreign does not equal good. Benitez was average at best, Scolari was shocking and Ancelotti is a decent man but he ain't pulling up any trees. For the record Grant is crap too.
    fair enough, at least you are consistant then, and not "picking on one". :)
    If chelsea finish 7th, they would have been in free-fall, yes.
    6th.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fair enough, at least you are consistant then, and not "picking on one". :)

6th.

Well whatever, same applies.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Not forgetting he also won the double in his 1st season which is a lot different to finishing 2nd.

That doesnt help his current plight though. If Benitez is being accused of putting Liverpool in freefall from 2nd-7th and Living off champions league and FA Cup wins then why is Ancelotto different if Chelsea finish 6th?

Its still taking a premiership winning team into 6th place (yes I know it may not happen), I was just putting it out there to see if he'd get the same reaction as benitez did. I mean he cant live off doing the double in his 1st season with someone elses team can he?

Personally I think Benitez & Ancelotti are both good managers. I just dont think they should be judged on how people perceive them, which sometimes they clearly are.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doesnt help his current plight though. If Benitez is being accused of putting Liverpool in freefall from 2nd-7th and Living off champions league and FA Cup wins then why is Ancelotto different if Chelsea finish 6th?

Its still taking a premiership winning team into 6th place (yes I know it may not happen), I was just putting it out there to see if he'd get the same reaction as benitez did. I mean he cant live off doing the double in his 1st season with someone elses team can he?

Personally I think Benitez & Ancelotti are both good managers. I just dont think they should be judged on how people perceive them, which sometimes they clearly are.

If chelsea finish 5th or 6th then Ancelotti deserves the boot. 4th would be a disappointment but CL is the minimum requirement. One thing I will say is Ancelotti has not been provided with funds to replace the ageing squad at chelsea. Roman needs to open that cheque book again.
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mad rumour doing the rounds that he's gone after tonights game.