Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 63)

Comments

• Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Storage: Flog the Lot! did CBB no favours last night (489k at 8pm). What a huge flop for Five that has been.

Fortunately for them that was the last in the series.

That's really disappointing. I enjoy the show, with the characters and pace of it coming across as very watchable. Seems I'm in the minority though! Wonder if it might do better on a diff. night/time, but fear they'll not recommission it now based on these figures. :(
  • Options
    Ice dragon1Ice dragon1 Posts: 19,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    A good night for the soaps.

Corrie 8.16m (37.1%) at 7.30pm, 8.18m (34.6%) at 8.30pm and 111k (0.5%) on +1.

EastEnders 7.96m (34.4%) 208k (1.5%) on BBC3

Emmerdale 6.72m (31.8%)

Hollyoaks had 1.09m (5.6%) at 6.30pm on Channel 4, 750k (3.6%) at 7pm and 126k (0.5%) on +1 on E4.

Waterloo Road interested 461k (1.9%) on BBC Three, 939k (9.1%) on BBC1.

Neighbours: 663k (8.8%) at 1.45pm and 786k (4.9%) at 5.30pm.

Home and Away: 260k (3.4%) at 1.15pm and 618k (3.4%) at 6pm on Channel 5, while 5*'s first look had 359k (1.8%) at 6.30pm.

Doctors: 1.68m (22.5%)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s3/coronation-street/news/a624576/coronation-street-davids-disappointment-seen-by-82m-on-monday.html#~p2zfEXDW9ICW7I

Good for Corri but fantastic for EE. EE is really firing on all cylinders at the moment.
  • Options
    GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mediarat wrote: »
    i don't agree at all. i don't watch much UK drama beyond a first episode as i find it dull and tedious. at least with Broadchurch it has a sense of momentum and drama.

What momentum, it's gone backwards in every way.

Finding it hard to watch, and I loved the first serie:cry:
  • Options
    centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cylon6 wrote: »
    @overnightstv: 28M UK viewers have seen at least 3min of Peter Capaldi as the Twelfth #DoctorWho on BBC1. Reach data."

Thanks for posting that, cylon. Wow. That's close to half the entire UK population - and probably more than half of those whose first language is English.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bbc1 needs to shift the WR repeat somewhere else. 936k is completely unacceptable for drama at 10.35. It is in totally the wrong place.
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bbc1 needs to shift the WR repeat somewhere else. 936k is completely unacceptable for drama at 10.35. It is in totally the wrong place.

Next Monday night it's moved back to 11.30pm-12.30am to allow for the Transfer deadline prog (10.45-11.30pm).
  • Options
    yorkie100yorkie100 Posts: 9,372
    Forum Member

Your right - it should be in the bin !!! :)
  • Options
    henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lewiep93 wrote: »
    UK TV Ratings ‏@TVRatingsUK now
    Tight between the two big 9pm dramas last night:
    Broadchurch 5.58m/22.7%
    Silent Witness 5.53m/22.5%

This site reports that Silent Witness won the 9pm slot. "It was the highest rated show outside the soaps."
    Silent Witness 5.53 (22.5% audience share)
    Broadchurch 5.17 (21% audience share)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a624570/silent-witness-beats-broadchurch-in-ratings-with-55m.html#~p2zkW551ubntSY
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    henry_hope wrote: »
    This site reports that Silent Witness won the 9pm slot. "It was the highest rated show outside the soaps."
    Silent Witness 5.53 (22.5% audience share)
    Broadchurch 5.17 (21% audience share)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a624570/silent-witness-beats-broadchurch-in-ratings-with-55m.html#~p2zkW551ubntSY

Yes, SW did win. Some people, including UKTVRatings on twitter, however add the repeat showing on the +1 channel (even though there was no +1 channel to inflate SW's figures) which is why it has also been reported as a very narrow win for BC.
  • Options
    ScoreScore Posts: 17,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, SW did win. Some people, including UKTVRatings on twitter, however add the repeat showing on the +1 channel (even though there was no +1 channel to inflate SW's figures) which is why it has also been reported as a very narrow win for BC.

If you want to be that petty you could also say that if you strip out the adverts and just compare the two shows when they were actually airing the programme itself it was probably a narrow BC win again even without +1.

Anyway, aren't overnights irrelevant? I'm pretty sure BC will win in the consolidated figures.
  • Options
    AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where else could it go though? Friday at 5pm? Sunday at 5pm? Wherever it goes it isn't going to attract much more interest than it gets post 10pm News. Only 7 episodes left to go though, so all is not lost!
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    henry_hope wrote: »
    Broadchurch 5.17 (21% ]
    The One Show 5.37m (26% ...

I was not expecting that a few weeks ago!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Score wrote: »
    If you want to be that petty you could also say that if you strip out the adverts and just compare the two shows when they were actually airing the programme itself it was probably a narrow BC win again even without +1.

Anyway, aren't overnights irrelevant? I'm pretty sure BC will win in the consolidated figures.

Score, what is petty, is how the +1 argument comes into play each time ITV doesn't do as well as hoped. If BC was winning outright then no one would bother argue. But as it needs a +1 figure to claim a very narrow victory, then anyone who dares to suggest that it isn't doing aswell as it was originally thought, the +1 argument is yet again something of an elephant in the room.

Strip away the ads by all means, this is usually miniscule in the final results and it seems every single way of spinning a result is suddenly available!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollyoaks
    26/01/2015 - C4: 1.09m (5.6%), E4: 750k (3.6%) [inc+1; 876k]
    27/01/2014 - C4: 1.09m (5.2%). E4: 722k (3.3%) [inc+1; 875k]

Emmerdale
    26/01/2015 - 6.72m (31.8%)
    27/01/2014 - 7.45m (34.3%) [inc+1; 7.62m (0.7%)]

Corrie
    26/01/2015 - 8.16m (37.1%) and 8.18m (34.6%) [inc+1; 8.29m]
    27/01/2014 - 8.86m (39.4%) [+1; 9.04m] and 8.68m (36.1%) [+1; 8.89m]

EastEnders
    26/01/2015 - 7.96m (34.4%), 208k (1.5%) on BBC3
    27/01/2015 - 8.05m (33.7%) 416k (2.9%) on BBC3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Score, what is petty, is how the +1 argument comes into play each time ITV doesn't do as well as hoped. If BC was winning outright then no one would bother argue. But as it needs a +1 figure to claim a very narrow victory, then anyone who dares to suggest that it isn't doing aswell as it was originally thought, the +1 argument is yet again something of an elephant in the room.

Strip away the ads by all means, this is usually miniscule in the final results and it seems every single way of spinning a result is suddenly available!

It's funny how every single time something does decently on ITV or is close to something on BBC1 then the +1 argument is brought out. I didn't bring it up, it was Robbie as always, I just responded. I thought it was petty to bring it up when including +1 is industry standard.

Stripping away the ads tends to add 0.3-0.4m to a show rating in the 5-6m bracket like Broadchurch did. Not really any more miniscule than +1. Personally I wouldn't normally do it with the overnights but then if you're going to strip out +1...

Of course the +1 argument only comes up because BBC is so hard done by. ;-) Roll on BBC1+1 I say.
  • Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its at 11.30pm nxt monday just for you.:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's funny how every single time something does decently on ITV or is close to something on BBC1 then the +1 argument is brought out. I didn't bring it up, it was Robbie as always, I just responded. I thought it was petty to bring it up when including +1 is industry standard.

Stripping away the ads tends to add 0.3-0.4m to a show rating in the 5-6m bracket like Broadchurch did. Not really any more miniscule than +1. Personally I wouldn't normally do it with the overnights but then if you're going to strip out +1...

Of course the +1 argument only comes up because BBC is so hard done by. ;-) Roll on BBC1+1 I say.

But the point here is that BC shouldn't be close to BBC1. It should be thrashing BBC1. That's why the emphasis on +1 has been so exaggerated today by some posters. But, it isn't industry standard to include +1 in the actual ratings. It is industry standard to report the ratings without +1 and with +1 like this: 5.13/5.58 inc +1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the point here is that BC shouldn't be close to BBC1. It should be thrashing BBC1. That's why the emphasis on +1 has been so exaggerated today by some posters. But, it isn't industry standard to include +1 in the actual ratings. It is industry standard to report the ratings without +1 and with +1 like this: 5.13/5.58 inc +1.

Why should it be thrashing BBC1 when BBC1 are airing Silent Witness? In the overnights the last series of Broadchurch got 6-7m (except the finale). Silent Witness regularly overnights at 6-7m. It's a strong show, I don't see why Broadchurch should be thrashing it.

If it isn't industry standard then why do Media Guardian and Broadcast amongst others always report the ratings with +1? Whenever we get one of the ratings lists that come straight from one of the bureaus or whenever we get consolidated updates through the week from trickytree they always include +1. Why? Because it's industry standard.

I can't believe it's 4 years on from the launch of ITV+1 and 8 years on from the launch of Channel 4+1 and we're still having this argument.
  • Options
    mediaratmediarat Posts: 358
    Forum Member

why should BC be thrashing bbc1?

if you like drama, and there are two drama's on at the same time, which one do you watch? the one with ads or the one without?
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danisfunny wrote: »
    Hollyoaks
    26/01/2015 - C4: 1.09m (5.6%), E4: 750k (3.6%) [inc+1; 876k]
    27/01/2014 - C4: 1.09m (5.2%). E4: 722k (3.3%) [inc+1; 875k]

Emmerdale
    26/01/2015 - 6.72m (31.8%)
    27/01/2014 - 7.45m (34.3%) [inc+1; 7.62m (0.7%)]

Corrie
    26/01/2015 - 8.16m (37.1%) and 8.18m (34.6%) [inc+1; 8.29m]
    27/01/2014 - 8.86m (39.4%) [+1; 9.04m] and 8.68m (36.1%) [+1; 8.89m]

EastEnders
    26/01/2015 - 7.96m (34.4%), 208k (1.5%) on BBC3
    27/01/2015 - 8.05m (33.7%) 416k (2.9%) on BBC3

So Hollyoaks is the only one roughly level with last year?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why should it be thrashing BBC1 when BBC1 are airing Silent Witness? In the overnights the last series of Broadchurch got 6-7m (except the finale). Silent Witness regularly overnights at 6-7m. It's a strong show, I don't see why Broadchurch should be thrashing it.

If it isn't industry standard then why do Media Guardian and Broadcast amongst others always report the ratings with +1? Whenever we get one of the ratings lists that come straight from one of the bureaus or whenever we get consolidated updates through the week from trickytree they always include +1. Why? Because it's industry standard.

I can't believe it's 4 years on from the launch of ITV+1 and 8 years on from the launch of Channel 4+1 and we're still having this argument.

additionally, nelson report commercial audiences as standard including +1, you have to seperate plus 1's form reporting.

i think on here it just gives you something else to argue about.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Itv struggled to get that for FA cup MATCHES....!!! :-)

The FA Cup is performing well for the BBC despite all the doom merchants - Sunday's live game got over 3 million.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mediarat wrote: »
    why should BC be thrashing bbc1?

if you like drama, and there are two drama's on at the same time, which one do you watch? the one with ads or the one without?

I am utterly amused at how Broadchurch has suddenly be downgraded by posters on here. Just after Christmas we had conversations at how BBC1 were out to deliberately damage SW. We had posters declaring triumphantly how BC would thrash SW and how irresponsible BBC1 were for risking their shows and preventing SW fans from being able to watch their show as the same audience would flock to BC. We had posters suggesting BC would be this years Sherlock (even I asked about what size timeshift it would need to beat Sherlock). Then all of a sudden, after losing over 2.5m from the first episode, some posters are now saying that in reality, BC didn't really stand a chance against SW because SW is an established show and thank goodness for +1 and consolidated figures.

It is nothing more than pettiness and sour grapes from those who had high hopes for BC.

Me? I couldn't care less. I have yet to watch last week's SW. I didn't bother recording SW this week but have recorded BC but is unlikely to watch it. I just think perhaps less strops and more grace is needed on here sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am utterly amused at how Broadchurch has suddenly be downgraded by posters on here. Just after Christmas we had conversations at how BBC1 were out to deliberately damage SW. We had posters declaring triumphantly how BC would thrash SW and how irresponsible BBC1 were for risking their shows and preventing SW fans from being able to watch their show as the same audience would flock to BC. We had posters suggesting BC would be this years Sherlock (even I asked about what size timeshift it would need to beat Sherlock). Then all of a sudden, after losing over 2.5m from the first episode, some posters are now saying that in reality, BC didn't really stand a chance against SW because SW is an established show and thank goodness for +1 and consolidated figures.

It is nothing more than pettiness and sour grapes from those who had high hopes for BC.

Me? I couldn't care less. I have yet to watch last week's SW. I didn't bother recording SW this week but have recorded BC but is unlikely to watch it. I just think perhaps less strops and more grace is needed on here sometimes.

If you can find me hyping up Broadchurch massively in the way you've described I'd be impressed. I'd also be impressed if you can find me saying it stood no chance against SW. Exaggerating, much?
  • Options
    Forum Member

i think that was probably wishful thinking on some peoples part, BC has done well in my opinion from a final rating POV but that's with 40% time shifting something that does not do ITV much favour.
This discussion has been closed.