Options

Will the Icelandic volcano disrupt air travel in the UK? (Merged)

TPLTPL Posts: 2,300
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Take a look at this map, it shows the volcanic plume from the volcano Eyjafjallajokull.

http://www.ruv.is/sites/default/files/skjol/oskuspa.jpg

If i recall volcanic dust can wreck aircraft engines and was responsible for a British Airways plane was having to glide with no engines at all.

Any thoughts or further info?

Edit: It appears to have caused the precautionary closure of airspace over Norway. http://www.icelandreview.com/icelandreview/daily_news/?cat_id=16568&ew_0_a_id=360735

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 183
    Forum Member
    My uncle's there at the moment on hols with my cousins son :eek:

Note to self... ring Auntie Kath tomorrow see they're ok

I'm a teensy bit jealous.... went to Iceland a couple of years ago and it was fab. How cool would it be to see a volcano erupting first hand??
  • Options
    5th Horseman5th Horseman Posts: 10,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should produce some amazing sunrises and sunsets though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    I'm going to sound like a complete n00b for asking, but what do the lines on those maps represent? There's one that crosses over the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    I'm going to sound like a complete n00b for asking, but what do the lines on those maps represent? There's one that crosses over the UK.

They represent the forecast for the volcanic ash clouds spread.

The number represent Flight Level in 100s of feet (120 = 12000ft). SFC represents surface or that the base of the cloud is unknown.

http://volcanism.wordpress.com/2009/12/04/how-to-read-a-volcanic-ash-advisory/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    TPL wrote: »
    They represent the forecast for the volcanic ash clouds spread.

The number represent Flight Level in 100s of feet (120 = 12000ft). SFC represent surface or that the base of the cloud is unknown.

http://volcanism.wordpress.com/2009/12/04/how-to-read-a-volcanic-ash-advisory/

I see, thank you :) it is fascinating, but technical things tend to go straight over my head!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    summerain wrote: »
    I see, thank you :) it is fascinating, but technical things tend to go straight over my head!

Don't worry about it, i had to look it up to be sure i was interpreting it right myself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    Should produce some amazing sunrises and sunsets though.

Havent you noticed there has been some amazing sunrises and sunsets recently?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ I haven't noticed myself but I live down in a valley so I don't get to see the full sunset, It should get better as more ash gets closer to us down here in the south east.
  • Options
    hellsTinkerbellhellsTinkerbell Posts: 9,871
    Forum Member
    ^^ I haven't noticed myself but I live down in a valley so I don't get to see the full sunset, It should get better as more ash gets closer to us down here in the south east.

Im in Scotland so i know there is a difference in light levels but the weather here has been very nice and as i said the sunrises and sunsets have been superb for this time of year.
    Especially the sunsets.
  • Options
    carnoch04carnoch04 Posts: 10,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All flights from Scottish airports have been suspended!

Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen airports closed.
  • Options
    irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lots others have their traffic distrupted.

glad im not flying today - sounds awful.

still, there should be some spectactular skies this evening.

yikes - every airport in Northern Ireland is shut too!
  • Options
    !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of Gatwick cancelled. I got up a 2.15am :(
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can people actually see this clowd?
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    Wow, this is a bit surreal. I had no idea until a few moments ago.
  • Options
    !!11oneone!!11oneone Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think all you'd see it the sky being more grey than usual. Which is a shame, if flights are off due to a volcano I demand a sky full of burning black clouds of doom!
  • Options
    cathh70cathh70 Posts: 3,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only just heard about this, my OH is (potentially) stuck in Scotland, due to fly back to East Midlands tomorrow. How long will this go on for?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way Sky is reporting it, you'd think the world was ending. Which it isn't. Might make for a lovely sunset tonight though. :)
  • Options
    nessyfencernessyfencer Posts: 9,195
    Forum Member
    cathh70 wrote: »
    I've only just heard about this, my OH is (potentially) stuck in Scotland, due to fly back to East Midlands tomorrow. How long will this go on for?
    Erm... we do have roads up here you know. lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    cathh70 wrote: »

Well "Experts say it could take days to disperse".

So might be a few days, probably be better to get the train.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The way Sky is reporting it, you'd think the world was ending. Which it isn't. Might make for a lovely sunset tonight though. :)
    That fat idiot is jumping up and down like we are all going to die. They even had a caption saying "ash threat", no it isn't a threat to anyone, it is 6km above us, it is merely a disruption to air travel.
  • Options
    LincsDan32LincsDan32 Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As from 1130am today UK airspace is closed!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad sky news is talking about it lots, some amazing footage of the volcano! Far preferable to wall to wall politics
  • Options
    Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    I know that volcanic ash can be a danger to aircraft but are these airport closures the result of a "risk assessment", ie "health and safety gone mad" again?

Iceland is a long way from here and I can't believe ash particles big enough to damage aircraft engines, would be carrried this far.