What glue would I need?

2»

Comments

• seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    compact adhesive, spread thinly on both surfaces leave 10 mins and then push them together, will last year's, abd compact adhesive smells real good.
    Do not use araldite, apoxy resins are not at all flexible so won't last 2 minutes.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    On second thoughts, might just take them to the shoe repair place. They are free shoes at the moment and I doubt a repair is going to be the cost of the shoes. Which weren't expensive anyway.

This is the best thing to do. I took an old pair of walking boots to have the sole stuck back properly and they actually did it for free (maybe I looked destitute:D) and whilst you are unlikely to be that lucky it will only be a couple of quid or so.
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seacam wrote: »
    Read the OP first post.

Sorry - I missed that bit :blush:
  • WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As said in my first post I contacted the online shop I bought them from, they have refunded me and told me to keep them.

Oh well, that's good then! :blush::D
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers I was thinking Araldite but didn't know if there would be something better.
    There is, but you need a (preferably) dead cow and a cast iron cooking pot.
  • seacamseacam Posts: 21,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    There is, but you need a (preferably) dead cow and a cast iron cooking pot.
    :D:D
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another way, ( and I advise this cautiously ), would be to use kitchen sealant, if you have any,-- spread thinly, don't go near the edges,-- I used this method in a rush once to stick two pieces of leather together, it worked. It stained the leather a bit but it didn't matter.

What the Hell is Kitchen Sealant?. Or Do you mean Silicone ? Clear or White in a Tubular Cartridge?.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hut27 wrote: »
    What the Hell is Kitchen Sealant?. Or Do you mean Silicone ? Clear or White in a Tubular Cartridge?.
    I also used the words " flexible contact adhesive."

Kitchen sealant or bathroom sealant was a nice descriptive touch, don't you think? rather then " Silicone ? Clear or White in a Tubular Cartridge " but bathroom sealant would have been a better choice of words but hey-ho.

( and for your future reference, silicone sealant don't necessarily come in a tubular cartridge).

As far as I'm aware all but one who replied, understood me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might find these links useful.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Dow and Bal also do their products and don't appear to have an issue having them linked to the use of the word "Kitchen."

A lot of us are here to do our best to advise others, you know where to find us Hut.
  • bri160356bri160356 Posts: 5,147
    Forum Member
    Never tried it, but it’s got good reviews and cheap enough.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fantastic-Elastic-Flexible-Glue-20g/dp/B004QX29CO/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
  • Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might find these links useful.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Dow and Bal also do their products and don't appear to have an issue having them linked to the use of the word "Kitchen."

A lot of us are here to do our best to advise others, you know where to find us Hut.

Sorry but being a retired Plumber "Kitchen Sealant" is not a name generally used in the trade. It maybe is used by the DIY fraternity and your Links look to be the makers aiming at that section of the public.:)
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry but being a retired Plumber "Kitchen Sealant" is not a name generally used in the trade. It maybe is used by the DIY fraternity and your Links look to be the makers aiming at that section of the public.:)

Yes... me! Seacam was obviously tailoring his post to the person asking then wasn't he. Being helpful.

I do know what silicone sealant is but seacam isn't to know that. And when I am asking probably quite a basic question about glue, you can forgive him for giving a basic response.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh that's what your original post was about.

I can only say the DIY fraternity you wish to dis-associate and frown upon and even those with much more experience, if they walk into their local plumbing shop and ask for kitchen sealant, they will get a cartridge of your " Silicone ? Clear or White in a Tubular Cartridge ".

And the links you mention are the most readily assessable along with the likes of Screwfix and other outlets both by trade and the public.

But that is the difference between you and I had you used the words " kitchen sealant ", I would have understood what you meant, but you have never in your plumbing career or in your posts here on DS or any other forums you visit,---have ever referred to kitchen sealant as just that
    have you?

And because I knew how your reply above might go and the perch knocking that was to be, I included names like Dow and Bal----just so we are on the same page.

And I'm curious and so might others be, what brands did you use for say kitchens? :)
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Screwfix sell a glue called Sticks Like Sh*t. That's literally what it's called and ought to do the trick.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Screwfix sell a glue called Sticks Like Sh*t. That's literally what it's called and ought to do the trick.
    I used that to stick new number plates on my van to avoid using screws and it definitely does the job! However it only comes in a 300ml tube which is way too much for what OP needs, plus........it's not cheap.

She can get a small tube of No More Nails from any Supermarket for around £3 and that will stick the sole solid.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would just repeat my advice to go to a shoe repairers if you have one. They are cheap, know which glues to use and how to use them. They will do this while you wait or while you go and do the rest of your shopping.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    I would just repeat my advice to go to a shoe repairers if you have one. They are cheap, know which glues to use and how to use them. They will do this while you wait or while you go and do the rest of your shopping.
    Gogfumble has decided to that,---I think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble has decided to that,---I think.

lol, I change my mind every day. But going into town later so will probably just take them with me and let the shop there do it for me.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be tempted to give the surfaces a slap of (waterproof) PVA, wood glue, to be honest.

Wipes off easily when the edges squidge, and dries transparent.

Whether it would last, I have no idea.