Options

It's St George's day tomorrow! Do you care?

Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
Forum Member
✭✭
I didn't used to care that much at all. But it's sad that people are trading being Engish for being 'British'. The Scottish and Welsh have strong cultures whereas the English don't really celebrate anything. (Apart from St Patrick's day)

Was there a golden age when people actually did celebrate St George's day and English culture or did it just never happen?

By the way we don't need to get into the debate about St George himself as I'm not on about celebrating him as a Saint.

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i don`t ever recall anything special going on for this day, maybe before my time. [ b.1959]
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Don't care at all.

Care hell of a lot more that Avengers 2 is on at the cinema
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in the least.
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    Yep, Its my sons birthday. :)
  • Options
    ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    I'm not particularly bothered about a chap from the near east who was around hundreds of years ago - but I think it would be a good idea to celebrate England and all that it is.

A day off work would of course be essential.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It hasn't been celebrated in my lifetime and I'm pushing 50. So it hasn't died out over that time. It just doesn't seem to be part of the culture.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We were invited to a St. George dinner party tomorrow night. The hosts promised a proper roast dinner (beef, Yorkshire pudding and all) and for a dessert, blackcurrant crumble.

Unfortunately, one of the hosts' parents passed away last Thursday so it's cancelled.

Edited:
    Should mention that both hosts are food historians. They like organising dinner parties on certain days of observance. They once threw a dinner party that consisted nothing but dishes from authentic 18th-century recipes. One of those dishes had a pair of actual pig's ears as decorations on a pork pie. :D
  • Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they gave us a day off work I'd probably be a little more bothered about it.
  • Options
    MichellerlzMichellerlz Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My kids school is having St George's day celebrations tomorrow afternoon, they do it for other days as well though, St Patrick's, St David's And St. Andrews so it's all fair there.
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tend to think it would be nice if more were made of it, in the same way that St Patrick's day is celebrated.

However, in order for that to happen we need a major English alcoholic drinks company to promote it as being all about the drinking, in the same way that Guinness did for Paddy's Day.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to think it would be nice if more were made of it, in the same way that St Patrick's day is celebrated.

However, in order for that to happen we need a major English alcoholic drinks company to promote it as being all about the drinking, in the same way that Guinness did for Paddy's Day.

Every day is all about the drinking for the average Brit
  • Options
    DebrajoanDebrajoan Posts: 1,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Not in the least.

Me and you both MC.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do not give a monkeys to be honest, it is just another day.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I do care.

It's time to reclaim the ability to fly the English flag without invoking all the right wing nonsense and equally absurd anti-English nonsense that has been attached from recent years. The apologists and extremists can all do a running jump.
  • Options
    sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh jeez town is going to be even busier as its Shakespeares birthday and I live in Stratford Upon Avon
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    Sometimes it feels like (from these posts I read) that the English culture right now is to pretend we don't have one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I do care.

It's time to reclaim the ability to fly the English flag without invoking all the right wing nonsense and equally absurd anti-English nonsense that has been attached from recent years. The apologists and extremists can all do a running jump.

Like I said upthread, no one's been bothered with St George's Day in my lifetime. If you want to fly a flag, go ahead. The response won't be nearly as dramatic as you fear.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I'm not patriotic at all. I don't see anything to be proud of in living in England. It's just a case of I live in England and that's that.
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The DS rebels will love this thread, plenty of things for them to sneer about.
  • Options
    Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    Like I said upthread, no one's been bothered with St George's Day in my lifetime. If you want to fly a flag, go ahead. The response won't be nearly as dramatic as you fear.
    I don't "fear" any dramatic response; real or imagined. Like I said, the apologists and extremists can go take a running jump. If someone wants to challenge me then let them take their best shot. Nor do I need anyone's permission, thank you very much.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    No, I'm not patriotic at all. I don't see anything to be proud of in living in England. It's just a case of I live in England and that's that.

I agree it's just where I was born nothing more nothing less.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't "fear" any dramatic response; real or imagined. Like I said, the apologists and extremists can go take a running jump. If someone wants to challenge me then let them take their best shot. Nor do I need anyone's permission, thank you very much.

I'll rephrase: the response won't be as dramatic as you expect.
  • Options
    Ed R.MarleyEd R.Marley Posts: 9,159
    Forum Member
    Don't care one iota
  • Options
    Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ahhh st George's day , the start of the annual "omg it's being banned cos of the foreigners " nonsense culminating of course with Christmas.
  • Options
    Sifter22Sifter22 Posts: 12,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do people care about English culture?