Options

Do women fancy famous men in a herd like manner? (Serious question, not a provocation

88Paul9988Paul99 Posts: 690
Forum Member
✭✭
This isn’t about Siavash (please keep it that way), although his support on this forum is what sparked the thought.

Is it that human females, like other herd animals, enjoy a consensus of opinion as to whom the most desirable male is (and that this consensus increases his desirability, like a stone gathering moss)? Then they all rush to get fertilised by him (if feasible)?

Maybe it is to reduce competition and reduce female to female antagonism?

I am aware that according to evolutionary theory the alpha male has the best genes etc, but obviously human cultural degeneration can throw a spanner in that, I’m interested in the modern cultural effect of the “media created male” on our animal behaviour.

Comments

• Options
    DeniseDenise Posts: 12,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Women are like men, we all have our own taste.
  • Options
    cinnamon girlcinnamon girl Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the same could be said of men and famous women. I've never understood the fascination with e.g. Pamela Anderson. But then, I've never understood the fascination with Brad Pitt either.

I think media profile probably has quite a bit to do with it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I suppose that works both ways to some extent. There tends to be a consensus as to whom is desirable, and people keep a bit quiet about deviating wildly from it. You don't see many pin ups of John McCririck in womens' locker rooms; nor do you, I assume, see Anne Widdicombe much on the warehouse walls.
  • Options
    lescaljalescalja Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    88Paul99 wrote: »
    This isn’t about Siavash (please keep it that way), although his support on this forum is what sparked the thought.

Is it that human females, like other herd animals, enjoy a consensus of opinion as to whom the most desirable male is (and that this consensus increases his desirability, like a stone gathering moss)? Then they all rush to get fertilised by him (if feasible)?

I am aware that according to evolutionary theory the alpha male has the best genes etc, but obviously human cultural degeneration can throw a spanner in that, I’m interested in the modern cultural effect of the “media created male” on our animal behaviour.

i dont think so. I personally tend to like really rough and ready looking men rather than your stereotypical good looking model male.
    My best friend and I have never ever found the same man attractive..... probably why we're still best friends :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes maybe. I remember liking Russell Crowe for years before Gladiator and noone knew who he was and then the film came out and suddenly he was everybody's cup of tea. Now few people even like him let alone find him attractive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To some of the replies above:
    We've been told all our lives that women are the same as men, and that that is not only factually correct, but more important is morally correct.

Ever dared think it might not be true?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,334
    Forum Member

No, not me; I'll fancy who I fancy and never mind everyone else... instant attraction for me is about eyes, but someone can grow on me if they have the right attitude and make me laugh. Not bothered what other people think one bit...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Women are biologically programmed to look for positive genetic attributes to pass onto their young.
    Personality aside, they seek healthy mates who would be loyal, dependable, trustworthy and provide security.
    However, many modern women who can provide for themselves are more concerned with sense of humour and good looks. Which is why the divorce rate is so high.
  • Options
    Robert RomarinRobert Romarin Posts: 11,956
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In historical evolutionary terms, I would reason that females should be most attracted to healthy males who are perceived as being best able to provide for offspring.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In historical evolutionary terms, I would reason that females should be most attracted to healthy males who are perceived as being best able to provide for offspring.

I think we've had a varied evolutionary past with different bits of us pulling in different directions.
  • Options
    ValerianValerian Posts: 2,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't follow the herd, never have and never will.
    Personality over looks any day :D
  • Options
    FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    I don't think so any more than men tbh.

Funnily enough in my many years (oh too many years) of having a lot of fellow female friends it has very, very rarely happened that any of us have fancied the same individual. Whether that's anything of import on this thread but I suppose does illustrate that as "pack" or "herd" like me and mates have definitely not gone for the same guy and absolutely don't see what others do in their boyfriends/husbands!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To some of the replies above:
    We've been told all our lives that women are the same as men, and that that is not only factually correct, but more important is morally correct.

Ever dared think it might not be true?
    Of course it is not true. Women are FAR superior to men in every way.:p:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Valerian wrote: »
    I don't follow the herd, never have and never will.
    Personality over looks any day :D

You see that's interesting because I do think women will go for personality rather than looks - obviously utterly pigeon-holing here so not saying we all do. Women don't necessarily need a hottie on their arm. Or they see attraction beyond the physicality of the male and then find it attractive.

Yet a man would very rarely do so - they'd rather keep the plainer woman as the friend and the good-looking duller woman (trophy) as the girlfriend.

Men are more swayed, IMO, by public opinion of the beauty of their partner than women and women see beauty where maybe it isn't obvious and of course status and money do play a huge role in that too for some.

Again total categorisation and just a general observance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fringo wrote: »
    I don't think so any more than men tbh.

Funnily enough in my many years (oh too many years) of having a lot of fellow female friends it has very, very rarely happened that any of us have fancied the same individual. Whether that's anything of import on this thread but I suppose does illustrate that as "pack" or "herd" like me and mates have definitely not gone for the same guy and absolutely don't see what others do in their boyfriends/husbands!

Same here, Fringo, none of my friends and I have ever fancied the same bloke, ever. Well except for Eric the Vampire in True Blood :D but he is not "real". So the whole "herd fancying the same man" thing is not really applicable to us :confused: but I wouldn't know how other women are or speak on their behalf. I don't think I can generalize. Also, my female students fancy different male teachers and not the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fringo wrote: »
    You see that's interesting because I do think women will go for personality rather than looks - obviously utterly pigeon-holing here so not saying we all do. Women don't necessarily need a hottie on their arm. Or they see attraction beyond the physicality of the male and then find it attractive.

Yet a man would very rarely do so - they'd rather keep the plainer woman as the friend and the good-looking duller woman (trophy) as the girlfriend.

Men are more swayed, IMO, by public opinion of the beauty of their partner than women and women see beauty where maybe it isn't obvious and of course status and money do play a huge role in that too for some.

Again total categorisation and just a general observance.

too true! When I look back, whenever a female friend has confessed a crush on a guy or fancying a guy, the other friends' reactions, most of the time have been:eek: "why do you fancy this guy?" "how can you fancy that guy?" " what do you see in him?"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,044
    Forum Member
    there is a certain look of men that a lot of women will find attractive at the same time and so could be said that as a herd we could fancy them ie brad pitt or will smith

could I said not advocating it as I think it is a really wierd way of talkng about it

then there are the less obviously physically attractive like richard e grant or johnny depp as captain jack sparrow that really shouldn't work but do for some women but others cant see the attraction at all

It is these less obvious ones that fascinate me , because if you met them at a party would they still do it for you , or is it just something they have on the screen

out of interst there is a school of thought that has it that the reason so many men adored Marilyn Monroe was that she was short sighted wouldn't wear her glasses on film and so her pupils were always slighlty dilated due to her myopia. Dilated pupils are seen as a sign of attraction , hence the men sub consciously thought Marilyn fancied them

with regard to Siavash and the ladies fancyig though I have to say i think there was a lot of quiet fancying and then the first person posted ,, then a llot of us posted

he is another one where he is not traditionally easy to see why he would be so fanciable and some women really cannot see it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think there is any doubting that when a man becomes famous, it massively increases his desirability.

Women fawn all over men they see on TV who, if they saw them on the street as an average Joe, would not bat an eye lid.

This can work the same way with famous women but certainly not to the same extent. I think it is do with women wanting to be with the most desirable (i.e. wealthy, confident, respected, good job) option and so yes, there is a certain 'herd mentality' which I believe is natural.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    It's access and lifestyle that men and women who fancy the famous really want.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 355
    Forum Member
    With no peer/cultural pressure at all I think women are more concerned for the appearance of their mate than men are but as girls don't tend to openly criticise the appearance of their friends' men as much as lads do it is actually easier for girls to accept a lesser looking male if he is the best she can do.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I prefer the bull with the biggest 'bullocks'... is that what you mean? lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    With no peer/cultural pressure at all I think women are more concerned for the appearance of their mate than men are but as girls don't tend to openly criticise the appearance of their friends' men as much as lads do it is actually easier for girls to accept a lesser looking male if he is the best she can do.

Interesting viewpoint. I definitely think men care/ feel/have more pressure to be with a girl that looks "right". By ex- boyfriend of 10 years said if I was "plain" then he'd never ever be with me - I was agog. Even knowing me etc. if I was just plain (not the back of a bus - I did ask) he said there was no chance he'd be with me.

That would never have entered my head vice versa.
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some women, and men, don't want to admit to fancying a not 'generally' desirable type, and this is true for men too, I think.

But along with the other reasons already mentioned for different tastes, woman are all different, and biologically we tend to find have an attraction, on a visceral level, to those men who are different from us biologically at some level - different immune system, I think, as this produces stronger, healthier babies.

This goes for men too.
    Thus there are 'stars' of many types, just as there are people of many types. We actually, truly do find different types attractive.

Whether we admit it or not!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 206
    Forum Member
    I find alpha men repugnant!! I love smart, geeky, nerdy and awkward guys. Alpha males will, most likely, screw you over whereas nice guys are well...... nice! :)

I don't think Siavash would be typically described as an Alpha male, I think Charlie fits that description more!

I know lots of females and my gay male friends who don't find Siavash attractive whatsoever. As for women being like 'herds', I think women dislike each other a bit too much sometimes to be described as 'herds' :(