Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Wow, what a show! I just watched part 1 and, though MC had a small role in the first part, well, what a show! I've always felt concern for the parents of the "evil" kid, like the parents of the Aurora guy, or the parents of the Colorado kids. What must it be like for them? All teenagers are like aliens from Mars (well, mine was, and my nieces are now). What is it like to discover that your child is not just another bizarre teenager with an attitude? I also found the beginning, in which the parents' own child arrived home late, to be a solid link. Every parent of a teenager has been there.

Is part 2 on YouTube now or did you see it via that Expat thing?

I think Connie mentioned that it would be a day or two before she could upload part 2. If you want to see it now, just go to the cnet download site and download "ExPat Shield" (free). Launch it and after it connects it will give you a search engine screen. Search for "ITV" and when you get to the site you will be able to watch any of their shows.

After you finish watching the site, close you browser, relaunch ExPat Shield and click disconnect. That will turn your PC back to an Ameican PC :D

Having ExPat Shield will have you all set to watch series 6 next fall!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I think Connie mentioned that it would be a day or two before she could upload part 2. If you want to see it now, just go to the cnet download site and download "ExPat Shield" (free). Launch it and after it connects it will give you a search engine screen. Search for "ITV" and when you get to the site you will be able to watch any of their shows.

After you finish watching the site, close you browser, relaunch ExPat Shield and click disconnect. That will turn your PC back to an Ameican PC :D

Having ExPat Shield will have you all set to watch series 6 next fall!

Thank you for the directions, Shop Girl. Unfortunately, I have a six year old laptop and I'm paranoid. Back when I went through old forum posts, someone said it killed their computer (probably because it was old and they had a slow connection). My kid doesn't live here, but one of her super-duper computers remains in my house, so I've already warned her that, come 2013, Expat Shield is ON her PC. Not sure about taking a risk now for "A Mother's Son," but I definitely need to see part 2. Waiting for Connie and YouTube, at least for now.

I do intend to hang on to your instructions. Thanks so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    PoorRichard, I thought the same thing about how he looked but am trying to convince myself that it was skillful use of makeup. After all, he's only 50 (a veritable youngster, to me!) However, the neck tells the tale.

Martin's certainly continuing to get - and look - older. (So are we all!) But I think this is an interesting topic now that the almanac writer has said out loud what many of us were already thinking. Frankly, through S3, I thought DM/MC was just plain cute. Is it a coincidence that as he became more grumpy in S4 and outright angry in S5 he seemed to age more dramatically? Now, at the same time, his scowl deepened - even when he had nothing negative to directly respond to in the plot. So then I believed his more pronounced aging had to do with his hard, often surly countenance. As an artist, I also noticed, especially in S5 his eyes were different - more rheumy and red - not clear like they often were in earlier series. So, doctors and those photographers among us, can that be addressed with eye drops? And his greying hair, is there a subtle fix for that in S6 that doesn't look fake? After all, we don't really want him looking like Louisa's father!

Maybe we'd all like the idealized Martin to go on forever, but of course that's not realistic.

So what if you're Martin Clunes, who turned from being eccentric and "funny looking" in his youth to downright handsome IMO through most of his 40's? I wonder, did he ever really think himself that he was handsome? But now, the cute 40-ish floppy-haired insouciant is melding into another phase of his physiognomy. If he truly sees himself as a character actor and not a leading man, perhaps he just embraces getting more wrinkled and greyer - since he never really internalized his being good looking anyway. Yet with that said, it's clear he's worked at getting leaner and fitter lately, so I'm not sure where to put that.

Ultimately, it seems to me with actors and us regular civilians you can only stave off the inevitable for so long - and after that the dyed hair, the cosmetic surgery, and the too obvious make-up are rather pathetic.

Comments, anyone?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the directions, Shop Girl. Unfortunately, I have a six year old laptop and I'm paranoid. Back when I went through old forum posts, someone said it killed their computer (probably because it was old and they had a slow connection). My kid doesn't live here, but one of her super-duper computers remains in my house, so I've already warned her that, come 2013, Expat Shield is ON her PC. Not sure about taking a risk now for "A Mother's Son," but I definitely need to see part 2. Waiting for Connie and YouTube, at least for now.

I do intend to hang on to your instructions. Thanks so much.

I was one of those who used Expatshield and crashed my computer. I don't know if it was that program or not but I tried it twice and it crashed twice, once very devastatingly. We do only have an adsl (not dial up slow but pretty slow) internet connection.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin's certainly continuing to get - and look - older. (So are we all!) But I think this is an interesting topic now that the almanac writer has said out loud what many of us were already thinking. Frankly, through S3, I thought DM/MC was just plain cute. Is it a coincidence that as he became more grumpy in S4 and outright angry in S5 he seemed to age more dramatically? Now, at the same time, his scowl deepened - even when he had nothing negative to directly respond to in the plot. So then I believed his more pronounced aging had to do with his hard, often surly countenance. As an artist, I also noticed, especially in S5 his eyes were different - more rheumy and red - not clear like they often were in earlier series. So, doctors and those photographers among us, can that be addressed with eye drops? And his greying hair, is there a subtle fix for that in S6 that doesn't look fake? After all, we don't really want him looking like Louisa's father!

Maybe we'd all like the idealized Martin to go on forever, but of course that's not realistic.

So what if you're Martin Clunes, who turned from being eccentric and "funny looking" in his youth to downright handsome IMO through most of his 40's? I wonder, did he ever really think himself that he was handsome? But now, the cute 40-ish floppy-haired insouciant is melding into another phase of his physiognomy. If he truly sees himself as a character actor and not a leading man, perhaps he just embraces getting more wrinkled and greyer - since he never really internalized his being good looking anyway. Yet with that said, it's clear he's worked at getting leaner and fitter lately, so I'm not sure where to put that.

Ultimately, it seems to me with actors and us regular civilians you can only stave off the inevitable for so long - and after that the dyed hair, the cosmetic surgery, and the too obvious make-up are rather pathetic.

Comments, anyone?

You're a brave woman, Statesidefan.

I think not only does MC look older but so does CC. And of course, why not? They first started filming this in early 2004, and 8 years is a long time. MC spends a lot of time outside in the sun, works hard, and does not have a lot of personal vanity. So I don't expect to see him with bo-tox injections, or dye-ing his hair.

And you know what? people in their 40's, 50's, and even later decades, fall in love and have pretty passionate romances. We don't have to be, as a culture, quite so youth-centered. I'm really fine with two people, well past their first blush of youth, as a central love interest.

But, maybe their rather obvious screen aging will be a factor in when they decide to pick them up in time -- that is, given the fact that they now look somewhat older, they may decide to pick them up a few years later. (although still hoping for that ride home in the Lexus)

I don't think MC seems to have ever realized that he became in his 40's especially a very good-looking man, although not in a conventional way. He still is a very attractive man, imo.
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Comments, anyone?

Interesting, statesidefan, I can think of 3 American actors whose cosmetic surgeries I felt were not necessary and lost their trademark look: Robert Redford - he had a certain sexy "look" in his almond-shaped eyes that was lost after cosmetic surgery. The shape changed and he was not as handsome afterward. William Holden - same thing. They both should have let time march on their faces, we would have accepted it, and with a little hair color they could have still played believable leading men. Another one is Lana Turner - she had pouty lips which were her trademark. After cosmetic surgery, it looked as if her skin was pulled as tight as they could manage towards her ears and her pouty lips were gone.
    As to Martin Clunes, don't ever resort to cosmetic surgery - the face which can project countless emotions would be lost. Perhaps letting his hair grow a little for S6 and a little sandy blond in his hair, much as he has been sporting lately, would be welcome to Louisa.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Interesting, statesidefan, I can think of 3 American actors whose cosmetic surgeries I felt were not necessary and lost their trademark look: Robert Redford - he had a certain sexy "look" in his almond-shaped eyes that was lost after cosmetic surgery. The shape changed and he was not as handsome afterward. William Holden - same thing. They both should have let time march on their faces, we would have accepted it, and with a little hair color they could have still played believable leading men. Another one is Lana Turner - she had pouty lips which were her trademark. After cosmetic surgery, it looked as if her skin was pulled as tight as they could manage towards her ears and her pouty lips were gone.
    As to Martin Clunes, don't ever resort to cosmetic surgery - the face which can project countless emotions would be lost. Perhaps letting his hair grow a little for S6 and a little sandy blond in his hair, much as he has been sporting lately, would be welcome to Louisa.:)

No, no, no, no, no! Oh, excuse me, calming myself now. I'm referring to suggestions that he dye his hair. No, no, no, n..., sorry.

Am I the only one who has a thing for silver-haired men? Maybe I am. I think MC as DM has gotten sexier over the years, and the hair has a lot to do with it. I want it to remain short and grey, as is. I also don't see anything wrong with both MC and CC looking older. They are older. Nothing wrong with that. He looks goooood. In S5, it's true, there was a lot of scowling going on, which adds to the appearance of age, but really, to me, he looks just fine. I don't want him to mess with Mother Nature, so to speak.
  • dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin's certainly continuing to get - and look - older. (So are we all!) But I think this is an interesting topic now that the almanac writer has said out loud what many of us were already thinking. Frankly, through S3, I thought DM/MC was just plain cute. Is it a coincidence that as he became more grumpy in S4 and outright angry in S5 ;)he seemed to age more dramatically? Now, at the same time, his scowl deepened - even when he had nothing negative to directly respond to in the plot. So then I believed his more pronounced aging had to do with his hard, often surly countenance. As an artist, I also noticed, especially in S5 his eyes were different - more rheumy and red - not clear like they often were in earlier series. So, doctors and those photographers among us, can that be addressed with eye drops? And his greying hair, is there a subtle fix for that in S6 that doesn't look fake? After all, we don't really want him looking like Louisa's father!

Comments, anyone?

I don't have anything to say about his looks. But I think that even though he sees himself as a character actor, he has turned in to a leading man. That was clear to me in "A Mother's Son". He has a stronger presence on screen than he did when he was younger, and he has the ability to drive the scene if he needs to. I think he has grown into an even more able actor since he has been doing DM. He acts more from his heart than his head now, IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    You're a brave woman, Statesidefan.

I think not only does MC look older but so does CC. And of course, why not? They first started filming this in early 2004, and 8 years is a long time. MC spends a lot of time outside in the sun, works hard, and does not have a lot of personal vanity. So I don't expect to see him with bo-tox injections, or dye-ing his hair.

And you know what? people in their 40's, 50's, and even later decades, fall in love and have pretty passionate romances. We don't have to be, as a culture, quite so youth-centered. I'm really fine with two people, well past their first blush of youth, as a central love interest.

But, maybe their rather obvious screen aging will be a factor in when they decide to pick them up in time -- that is, given the fact that they now look somewhat older, they may decide to pick them up a few years later. (although still hoping for that ride home in the Lexus)

I don't think MC seems to have ever realized that he became in his 40's especially a very good-looking man, although not in a conventional way. He still is a very attractive man, imo.

NewPark, I do agree with you. I was going to suggest that instead of working on the Doc's appearance to make him younger, they could work on Louisa's to make her older. (I don't know how much "vanity" CC has, or how kindly she would take to that). It's not the look of age I'm objecting to, just the disparity between M&L, which seems to be greater now than in S1. (CC has aged slightly, IMO, MC has aged a lot). I think it's great when character actors glory in their wrinkles, and I like British film for the fact people look relatively normal rather than stretched tight as a drum-head. Look at pictures of the young Vanessa Redgrave or the young Maggie Smith -- definitely common-or-garden, but in their appearances as older women they look magnificent. MC's cheeks were looking a bit more protuberant a couple of years ago than earlier, and that's when I began to notice, too, the weak-looking eyes that statesidefan mentions. I hoped it wasn't from having something injected into his face. (The eyes may just be from the fact that he wears reading glasses in real life and apparently not on the screen, or maybe he's got contacts that he wears when he's acting that make his eyes look a little glassy). I would echo marchrand, that given the plasticity of MC's face and the way he uses it in acting, that it would be taking a very great risk to have any cosmetic procedure done.

Do you think he's had any tattooing? There's a shot of his forearm in the Man and his Dogs documentary where he goes in to observe the hip surgery on the cocker spaniel that appears as though he has, although he says in the Islands documentary that he's wearing a fake tattoo (I think on his shoulder). Does he ink up temporarily in some sort of father/daughter bonding ritual with Emily? It must be taking a very great risk as an actor to do something permanent to your skin that might not be in keeping with every role. I think Julie Graham's tattoos are real, since the ones she had in William and Mary also were there when she appeared on Rebus.

On the issue of ads in A Mother's Son, what struck me was the calibre of actors they have doing TV endorsements in Britain these days. Michael Gambon's voice was behind one, Stephen Fry appeared in another, and there was MC advertising for Churchhill. I don't know if he's advertised for anything else besides financial/insurance companies, but I enjoyed that Youtube video of him playing all the different characters in the promo for Abbey National from a few years ago. Clearly the British public considers MC to have a trustworthy sort of face -- someone who could reliably advise them in financial matters. It reminds me of a comment he made in some interview that while he had both dogs and a cat, he would lend money to any of his dogs, never to the cat.:D

NewPark, I'm going to google the Stanislavski method of which I've never heard, and learn all I can. I wonder about these things because in seminary we had this voice consultant come in to teach us how to declaim in public. She usually worked with actors, her greatest claim to fame having been as Mickey Rooney's voice coach. She was a bit flakey, I thought, but told us that if we wanted the congregation to be able to envision what was going on in a Scriptural reading, we had to visualise it to ourselves as we were reading it. Somehow that would telepathically translate to the people -- or perhaps it was a theory based on micro-expressions in the face. It would be fascinating to learn more of the trade secrets of actors. MC often refers to Dodger's ability to "hit his marks" which I guess means that there are invisible spots on the stage where the actor is supposed to place himself physically at certain points in a scene. Is that right? Who gives these? The cameraman? The director? At first I thought he was talking about Dodger's ability to "make his mark" but then he clarified that while he often cocks a leg, he never pees.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Interesting, statesidefan, I can think of 3 American actors whose cosmetic surgeries I felt were not necessary and lost their trademark look: Robert Redford - he had a certain sexy "look" in his almond-shaped eyes that was lost after cosmetic surgery. The shape changed and he was not as handsome afterward.

He's just turned into Donald Trump, now, hasn't he?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 366
    Forum Member
    If we're on the topic, may I suggest an international ban on actresses using botox (?) on their lips. Nicole Kidman, I'm looking at you. :eek:

In that panel discussion posted here a few months ago, Carolyn Catz talked about the pressures put on actresses once they cross the "40" threshhold. She seems quite determined not to let age affect her choices.

Lastly, Maggie Smith could read the Yellow Pages and I would find it fascinating. Same with Sean Connery and Judi Dench. Age has only deepened their expressive brilliance.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, no, no, no, no! Oh, excuse me, calming myself now. I'm referring to suggestions that he dye his hair. No, no, no, n..., sorry.

Am I the only one who has a thing for silver-haired men? Maybe I am. I think MC as DM has gotten sexier over the years, and the hair has a lot to do with it. I want it to remain short and grey, as is. I also don't see anything wrong with both MC and CC looking older. They are older. Nothing wrong with that. He looks goooood. In S5, it's true, there was a lot of scowling going on, which adds to the appearance of age, but really, to me, he looks just fine. I don't want him to mess with Mother Nature, so to speak.

I so agree. And, of course, nothing could be further from character than DM dying his hair. Let's then also put him into Bermuda shorts and long socks! He'll definitely look younger! :)

No, I agree with Biffpup, he has to keep his hair short and grey. I thought he looked good in "A Mother's Son" and I think he looks great in DM, even getting older. I think his age enhances his character and brings more poignancy to the role--he finally found his family really at probably the last chance in life.

CC is aging, too, which is fine. I like life to look like, well, life, not Hollywood. Let life occur in PW as it does with each of us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I so agree. And, of course, nothing could be further from character than DM dying his hair. Let's then also put him into Bermuda shorts and long socks! He'll definitely look younger! :)

No, I agree with Biffpup, he has to keep his hair short and grey. I thought he looked good in "A Mother's Son" and I think he looks great in DM, even getting older. I think his age enhances his character and brings more poignancy to the role--he finally found his family really at probably the last chance in life.

CC is aging, too, which is fine. I like life to look like, well, life, not Hollywood. Let life occur in PW as it does with each of us.

I think that's all fine, and I agree with all of it. The only rub with the series is that we're not starting with actors who are in their 40's and 50's -- we're continuing on with a series in which the time is artificially shortened-- we're not sure by how much but total time not more than 4-5 years probably -- while the actors have aged 8 or 9 years. So the discrepancy from series to series is a bit jarring. That's all I really mean. There's a sense in which I would like to see them pick it up when their story's age has caught up with their off-screen age, if that makes sense. But, it's a minor quibble, which I would dispense with in a heartbeat, given a chance to see some early honeymoon scenes
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that's all fine, and I agree with all of it. The only rub with the series is that we're not starting with actors who are in their 40's and 50's -- we're continuing on with a series in which the time is artificially shortened-- we're not sure by how much but total time not more than 4-5 years probably -- while the actors have aged 8 or 9 years. So the discrepancy from series to series is a bit jarring. That's all I really mean. There's a sense in which I would like to see them pick it up when their story's age has caught up with their off-screen age, if that makes sense. But, it's a minor quibble, which I would dispense with in a heartbeat, given a chance to see some early honeymoon scenes

New Park, would you be accepting if JH was 4 or 5 years old at S6E1? I am having a hard time accepting that as I would feel left out of a christening, possible wedding, Mrs. T in PW or not, return of other major cast members, etc. Although realistically, it would be better to work with a young actor around 6 looking as if he were 4 or 5 years old. I believe someone awhile back suggested they film S6E1 while they were filming S5, and get the back story out of the way to move forward to S6E2. (I think I interpreted that post correctly.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just saw a new YouTube video of a few seconds of MC on "Clive Anderson Talks Back". Cute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuPArQJhGF0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Park, would you be accepting if JH was 4 or 5 years old at S6E1? I am having a hard time accepting that as I would feel left out of a christening, possible wedding, Mrs. T in PW or not, return of other major cast members, etc. Although realistically, it would be better to work with a young actor around 6 looking as if he were 4 or 5 years old. I believe someone awhile back suggested they film S6E1 while they were filming S5, and get the back story out of the way to move forward to S6E2. (I think I interpreted that post correctly.)

Well, you're right, I would be disappointed. In the end, I'd be willing to trade a little disjuncture between their purported ages as DM and LG and the real life ages of the actors, for picking up where we left off. But the disjuncture is real. They've certainly aged more than a few hours between the end of S4 and the start of S5, for example.

I can't remember how we resolved this, and it's probably irresponsible of me to bring it up, but quite a while back there was a suggestion of an extra church scene that no one could account for in the filming of S5 and some of us hoped that they had gone ahead and filmed the wedding/christening for S6 at that time. (But that was debunked conclusively, I forget by whom and why.) That would have been the solution to the age problem (and to call it a problem is making a mountain out of molehill, probably) -- to give us a flashback to that scene and then pick up the next series a couple years later -- much as you suggest above.
    Forum Member
    Well, you're right, I would be disappointed. In the end, I'd be willing to trade a little disjuncture between their purported ages as DM and LG and the real life ages of the actors, for picking up where we left off. But the disjuncture is real. They've certainly aged more than a few hours between the end of S4 and the start of S5, for example.

QUOTE]

I am more than willing to suspend disbelief in exchange for them picking up on the ride back from the castle -- although how is that going to work since they all came in one car and now they have Mrs. Tishell to transport too??

I want to see the christening and the marriage -- and if they have to put on foundation with a trowel to even out the inevitable wrinkles -- so be it.

I didn't object to multiple babies playing JH and I can adjust to age-related changes in all actors in order to see those important scenes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookfan2 wrote: »
    I am more than willing to suspend disbelief in exchange for them picking up on the ride back from the castle -- although how is that going to work since they all came in one car and now they have Mrs. Tishell to transport too??

Clive is on the way (in what vehicle I don't know -- maybe Joe told him to bring the police car if it ever got moved off of that wall).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Clive is on the way (in what vehicle I don't know -- maybe Joe told him to bring the police car if it ever got moved off of that wall).

In my imagination, he's weaving his way up to the castle in the red Large Restaurant van.
    Forum Member

In my imagination, he's weaving his way up to the castle in the red Large Restaurant van.

Good solution :)

And I'm going to assume that Aunt Ruth has to go with Clive and Mrs. T to make sure she gets proper medical attention -- and PC Penhale will go with them and maybe check in at the Emergency Room in Truro for his slightly sprained knee (from the fall off the castle).

That leaves Martin and Louisa (and JH) in the car alone, although since they don't have a carseat with them -- Louisa will be sitting in the back with the baby. Still -- and yes my imagination is at full tilt right now -- it will be a much better conversation than the one when they were coming home from the hospital where Martin suggested that the school would adjust if Louisa died -- no emoticon, just OY!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good solution :)

And I'm going to assume that Aunt Ruth has to go with Clive and Mrs. T to make sure she gets proper medical attention -- and PC Penhale will go with them and maybe check in at the Emergency Room in Truro for his slightly sprained knee (from the fall off the castle).

That leaves Martin and Louisa (and JH) in the car alone, although since they don't have a carseat with them -- Louisa will be sitting in the back with the baby. Still -- and yes my imagination is at full tilt right now -- it will be a much better conversation than the one when they were coming home from the hospital where Martin suggested that the school would adjust if Louisa died -- no emoticon, just OY!

Oh no - the carseat is in the trunk because Louisa doesn't have a car so she would have left it with Martin for convenience.
    Forum Member
    Shop Girl wrote: »

Oh no - the carseat is in the trunk because Louisa doesn't have a car so she would have left it with Martin for convenience.

Good. So JH can be in the backseat and will fall asleep immediately (he's had a busy day), and Martin and Louisa can talk.

Or pull over to the side of the road and neck :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have to agree.

Not everyone has their children in their 20s/early 30s

It is not unusual to see more mature parents around here

I see no problem accepting both MC/CC at face value - neither needs any cosmetic work, either in real life or for their roles in DM - they are not Action Man or Barbie Dolls - they are real people and real people have character lines...

Can you imagine MC's reaction to this suggestion ?
  • Eileen0103Eileen0103 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    I tried it once on my computer and I have a high speed connection. It shut the computer down and I am afraid to do it again. My son's friend who fixed it spent a few days repairing it.

Botox, or surgery would ruin MC's face and expressive abilities. He can just slightly move a muscle and it conveys such meaning. He is great just as he is, keep it real and natural. Surgery has it's place in injury or illness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or pull over to the side of the road and neck :D

I would probably fall out of my chair (like I almost did when I watched S3 and saw the episode that began with DM in LG's bedroom). But I could live with that!
This discussion has been closed.