Options

Gone Girl

cuttlefishspikecuttlefishspike Posts: 5,761
Forum Member
First book I've read on my recently purchased kindle paperwhite. Blimey, what a well written page turner. Couldn't leave it alone....

Anyone else think that Gillian is just how you imagined both Amy and Go?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21264135

It's a twisty turny one so post spoilers in tags for those who haven't read yet please :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adored Gone Girl with a fiery passion. Stayed up until 3am one day finishing it as I couldnt bear to go to sleep before I knew what was what :D

I loved that
    both protaganists were pretty horrible and deserved each other!
  • Options
    Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member
    Oh ill need to get back to this thread once ive finished!!
  • Options
    GirlfromEireannGirlfromEireann Posts: 4,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Almost finished. It's brilliant!!!

I see the film right have been sold.

This is the third book from Gilian Flynn - am definitely going to buy the two previous ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lizzy11268 wrote: »
    I adored Gone Girl with a fiery passion. Stayed up until 3am one day finishing it as I couldnt bear to go to sleep before I knew what was what :D

I loved that
    both protaganists were pretty horrible and deserved each other!

But....
    were they though? Who was telling the truth?

I love the way the book manipulates your loyalties. And also how the thriller part integrates so well with the portrait of a destructive marriage.

The ending left me
    shaking my fist though...poor Nick!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Almost finished. It's brilliant!!!

I see the film right have been sold.

Reece Witherspoon will make a fantastic Amy :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was disappointed with the ending and was angry at myslf for feeling sorry for Nick.

There is no other person except Reese Witherspoon to play Amy.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I thought the second half of the book was rubbish and ruined the good first half
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Desi bit was a bit too far fetched for me. It all developed a little too quickly at the end
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only skim read the posts above as I still haven't read it - I absolutely love the synopsis and I'm longing to love it, but I read the first half-dozen chapters on holiday and although wanted to be grabbed by it, just couldn't get into it ... I'm going to try again...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milmol wrote: »
    I only skim read the posts above as I still haven't read it - I absolutely love the synopsis and I'm longing to love it, but I read the first half-dozen chapters on holiday and although wanted to be grabbed by it, just couldn't get into it ... I'm going to try again...

Give it until the midway point - because thats when you'll know you have to KNOW! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    I thought the second half of the book was rubbish and ruined the good first half
    I agree. Ultimately, that really disappointed me.
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found myself rooting for Amy. What the hell's wrong with me?! OK she was twisted and evil but I still found her preferable to the utterly pathetic and weak and weaselly Nick.

My favourite part of the book was the "Cool Girl" outburst. What the author said in the Q&A section at the end was spot on: "To pretend to be today's 'Cool Girl' is just as restrictive and confining as it was for women back in the 1950s who were forced into the 'Happy Homemaker' role. We're still too often moulding ourselves into what we believe will be pleasing to men."

I thought the first half of the book was more believable but also moved a little slowly, whereas the second half - whilst more far-fetched - was also more engrossing.

I was unsure about turning Gone Girl into a film at first, but I've changed my mind. Think it has the potential to be very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I found myself rooting for Amy. What the hell's wrong with me?! OK she was twisted and evil but I still found her preferable to the utterly pathetic and weak and weaselly Nick.

My favourite part of the book was the "Cool Girl" outburst. What the author said in the Q&A section at the end was spot on: "To pretend to be today's 'Cool Girl' is just as restrictive and confining as it was for women back in the 1950s who were forced into the 'Happy Homemaker' role. We're still too often moulding ourselves into what we believe will be pleasing to men."

I thought the first half of the book was more believable but also moved a little slowly, whereas the second half - whilst more far-fetched - was also more engrossing.

I was unsure about turning Gone Girl into a film at first, but I've changed my mind. Think it has the potential to be very good.

I do think Reece Witherspoon will be a great Amy. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think Reece Witherspoon will be a great Amy. :)

Reese Witherspoon's production company is linked to the film, but I believe she's already stated she won't be playing Amy. I read it somewhere - I'll try and find it.

Other names touted for Amy have been Rachel McAdams, Charlize Theron and Amy Adams.
  • Options
    MuzskiMuzski Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I read this on holiday and really enjoyed the book. Although I have to say I was very disappointed with the ending, it just didn't live up to the rest of the book. Reading the acknowledgments it became clear she had a problem herself with it as she thanks her friend for making her finish it, otherwise it would have remained 86.2% finished without her. She was obviously struggling to come up with an appropriate ending herself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muzski wrote: »
    I read this on holiday and really enjoyed the book. Although I have to say I was very disappointed with the ending, it just didn't live up to the rest of the book. Reading the acknowledgments it became clear she had a problem herself with it as she thanks her friend for making her finish it, otherwise it would have remained 86.2% finished without her. She was obviously struggling to come up with an appropriate ending herself.

They both deserved each other, although towards the end my sympathy did lie with the husband.

I look forward to the film and am going to buy Gillian Flynn's other books :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member

I loved that
    !

Me too. A woman scorned
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    How do i do a spoiler?
  • Options
    Yog101Yog101 Posts: 532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just finished it and very much enjoyed it. I particularly like how you're perception of the characters changes so quickly half way through. But I was a little disappointed with quite a limp ending.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the ending. I had two or three obvious endings in mind, but she surprised me. The ending was far more chilling than the predictable choices.