Top Gear

Comments

• Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    May and Hammond may not get their contracts renewed, even if they wanted to stay.

The BBC may want to go for a complete "new look."

They only got the other "plum presenting jobs" on the back of their Top Gear popularity.
    Neither I'd consider first rate presenters. I though Hammond's performance on the Normandy landings documentary, wasn't particularly impressive.

They will, they won't be able to resist it. There'll be a white bloke, a woman and a black or Asian guy. They have boxes to tick, don't y'know.
  • rdanvillerdanville Posts: 66
    Forum Member
    mike65 wrote: »
    May and Hammond are in a position of some power now. If its generally understood that any new programme would work best by keeping them (and Wilman) together then the two of them should be able to see they get greater parity with the ape.

The likes of ITV Channel 4,5 and SKY One are not suitable for a Top Gear/Clarkson lead style programme - too much weak willed worry about what BMW will do with their advertising account etc.

Netflix/Amazon deal is the way forward, they just need to see that the company they choose is willing to licence the show for FTA broadcast at some point after release.

I think you're right. Netflix/ Amazon new home for Clarkson, May and Hammond. Good bye BBC.
  • drillbitdrillbit Posts: 1,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :(:(:(

absolutely gutted esp as this series is the best in years
  • howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ten_Ben wrote: »
    They will, they won't be able to resist it. There'll be a white bloke, a woman and a black or Asian guy. They have boxes to tick, don't y'know.

I'd be happy with that.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dupe...
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike65 wrote: »
    May and Hammond are in a position of some power now. If its generally understood that any new programme would work best by keeping them (and Wilman) together then the two of them should be able to see they get greater parity with the ape.

Quite but can they cut the puppet strings? May is the obvious choice to slide over into the Clarkson position and why not flip the revolving host approach adopted by HIGNFY and Buzzcocks (as was) and have a series of guests making up the threesome. If/when one of those clicks with Hammond and May they can make it permanent?

Are you talking about a wholly new show or a revamped TG on the Beeb?
    Forum Member
    Independent. 'channel 4 a major broadcaster' now that's funny.
    Forum Member

You forgot a lesbian muslim. Very sad.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Sarah Millican will be one for sure. Doing the "Celebrity eating a cake round the Top Gear Track the fastest segment".
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Quite but can they cut the puppet strings? May is the obvious choice to slide over into the Clarkson position and why not flip the revolving host approach adopted by HIGNFY and Buzzcocks (as was) and have a series of guests making up the threesome. If/when one of those clicks with Hammond and May they can make it permanent?

Are you talking about a wholly new show or a revamped TG on the Beeb?

Ah you misunderstood my post (maybe that's my fault), I meant the three of Clarkson, May and Hammond (plus the exec producer) with May and Hammond seeking more money (and creative input?) on any new show, whoever may fund and release it.
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    It's just said on the news that Hammond and May will walk with Clarkson.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Faust wrote: »
    Sounds to me like you're another 21st century man. 😉

Certainly better than being a neanderthal
  • ksmiggyksmiggy Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »

Thanks for that,
    I'm still sceptical, how many times have we heard "we have no plans ..... " only to have the opposite happen days later.
    The show will reappear somewhere at some point.
  • ksmiggyksmiggy Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rdanville wrote: »
    You forgot a lesbian muslim. Very sad.

do they actually exist? that'll be a hard one to find I bet.
  • CardioCortezCardioCortez Posts: 11,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll go somewhere else and make more money.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,983
    Forum Member

So none of them own a car?
    Forum Member

Good news. I look forward to their new show. Top Gear on the BBC is dead.

Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
  • Bandit06Bandit06 Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    I think JC's leaving was inevitable, the BBC would have been heavily critizied if they had him back. I think Hammond & May will walk with him & hopefully they will make a similar program on another channel.
    Top Gear will be reinvented with new presenters but it would be amazing if they could replicate the chemistry of those 3.
    Cannot see Chris Evans on there, Jodie Kidd, Steve Coogan & Guy Martin could all add the necessary knowledge & humour to the show.
    The BBC know that they must get it right, if they haven't already killed the show, a wrong choice now surely will
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news. I look forward to their new show. Top Gear on the BBC is dead.

Talk about killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
    So what would you have done?
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the thing is I dont think it could work because you cant manufacture friendship for it to work in the format it is nw it needs people who genuinely like each other and you cant just bring three random middle aged blokes in and expect it to work

isn't that exactly what they did when top gear relaunched in 2002, granted it wit take a few shows/series for it to become the same kind of friendship but it could work
  • FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Certainly better than being a neanderthal

Oh you! I bet you could tear a tissue. :cry:
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    So none of them own a car?

Correct May has put his on ebay.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, nonsense. There are plenty of controversial shows. John Stewart on Comedy central. He says what he wants. How about Bill O'Reilly on Fox ??? Fox demands massive $$ for a commercial spot.

You honestly believe that US Television will ignore Clarkson coming out with some of the crap he has before?

Think you'll find they're even more strict when it comes to racism and/or homophobia
This discussion has been closed.