Options

Deal Or No Deal - Fans Noticing The Decline

1101112131416»

Comments

• Options
    HypnoaliHypnoali Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched it recently for the first time in 3 or 4 years. Used to enjoy it and even applied to go on. Recent ep was unbearable with the sob stories, cheesy hugging and endless chit chat.Shan't bother tuning in again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved this show originally, when it was half an hour long and everyone just got on with it.

The first nail in the coffin for me was the focus on the sob stories, and as soon as they started making the episodes longer and bringing in silly gimmicks to pad things out, I lost interest. I caught a bit of the show the other day for the first time in ages and I can't believe what it's turned into. Totally unwatchable for me now. :(
  • Options
    SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    Here are the results for last week's box game :)

Congratulations to GoCompareThis (winner) and Eugenespeed (runner up) and bad luck StrictlyEastend with the wooden spoon.
  • Options
    StrictlyEastendStrictlyEastend Posts: 35,455
    Forum Member
    Smithman wrote: »
    Here are the results for last week's box game :)

Congratulations to GoCompareThis (winner) and Eugenespeed (runner up) and bad luck StrictlyEastend with the wooden spoon.

Wrong thread I think Smithman. :D
  • Options
    SmithmanSmithman Posts: 6,184
    Forum Member
    Wrong thread I think Smithman. :D

:blush: I just saw Deal or No Deal and posted LOL. Off to right thread now :D
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A question for genuine fans of DOND - is it really worth investing an hour of time to watch the show anymore?

I'm afraid no longer am I prepared to do so, having held with it for the entire time it has been on TV. I now tend to watch the second half hour and not fuss too much about the first couple of rounds that take up the first 30 minutes or so. There seems little point doing so.

However today we have had yet another atrocious example in a very long line of them of a player who really didn't come to play the game at all. An early deal at just a mere £12,000 at the 3rd offer with the top three massive amounts left, and decent back up. Not long ago it would have been unheard of for a player to deal so low with £75,000, £100,000 and £250,000 remaining. It was clearly a mistake and even host Noel knew it and mentioned it and his surprise. Great boards appear and the players just no longer seem that interested. She could have gone onto £16,000 then £20,000 before rocketing to £95,000. The box 23 had double meaning her potential was ultimately £190,000. The banker had been lowballing the offer's because of her perceived chicken nature, and as it turned out she was just that.

So the truth would seem that meek players are deliberately being chosen to appear on DOND over serious games players now. The evidence has been mounting for months. The type of player has totally changed.

I'm no longer getting a good return on my investment into DOND and have withdrawn half my time for it. The time will soon be arriving when I consider whether to withdraw all my investment into DOND unless it has a significant reversal in the weeks and months ahead.

DOND has been allowed to fall into safe mediocrity. :(
  • Options
    stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    Mistake? £12,000 might have solved all her problems. But I see your point. On the face of it it does seem an extraordinary decision to bail out.

It could be a conscious vetting made with the show's budget in mind, but I have a hard time buying that; it seems ludicrous for a programme to fob off people who could potentially repay them with intense television and the fanfare that comes with a big win. I think it's more just that the psyche of the game show contestant in general has changed all round; less casual, less steely, more needy. It probably explains why so many newer game shows are rather more careful with their cash, and don't tend to offer their contestants chances to bail out with safe sums.

Chris Tarrant remarked on the situation when commenting on WWTBAM. People were telling him the answer to big money questions but refusing to commit to them and walking away, even with lifelines supporting their theory. It was very frustrating. Indeed, in the last 8 years of the show nobody ever surpassed the £150,000 question, let alone get anywhere near the jackpot.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now lets play on as if it were "live", yeh right Noel. Of course they wont.:D
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    A question for genuine fans of DOND - is it really worth investing an hour of time to watch the show anymore?

I'm afraid no longer am I prepared to do so, having held with it for the entire time it has been on TV. I now tend to watch the second half hour and not fuss too much about the first couple of rounds that take up the first 30 minutes or so. There seems little point doing so.

However today we have had yet another atrocious example in a very long line of them of a player who really didn't come to play the game at all. An early deal at just a mere £12,000 at the 3rd offer with the top three massive amounts left, and decent back up. Not long ago it would have been unheard of for a player to deal so low with £75,000, £100,000 and £250,000 remaining. It was clearly a mistake and even host Noel knew it and mentioned it and his surprise. Great boards appear and the players just no longer seem that interested. She could have gone onto £16,000 then £20,000 before rocketing to £95,000. The box 23 had double meaning her potential was ultimately £190,000. The banker had been lowballing the offer's because of her perceived chicken nature, and as it turned out she was just that.

So the truth would seem that meek players are deliberately being chosen to appear on DOND over serious games players now. The evidence has been mounting for months. The type of player has totally changed.

I'm no longer getting a good return on my investment into DOND and have withdrawn half my time for it. The time will soon be arriving when I consider whether to withdraw all my investment into DOND unless it has a significant reversal in the weeks and months ahead.

DOND has been allowed to fall into safe mediocrity. :(

Iv watched it in the past and enjoyed it. For me personally though, the format isn't strong enough to stand all that much past novelty and Im amazed its still going (although viewing figures are a shadow of what they once were). Extending it to an hour was a huge mistake, Noel having to fill airtime by introducing delays and talking relentlessly is just plain irritating to me.
  • Options
    tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch it when it was a good game that lasted half an hour. I stopped when they added half an hour of hugging, air kissing, sob stories and endless superstitious nonsense. I went from loving it to hating it and just felt as though they had "Simon Cowelled" the show and ruined it completely.
  • Options
    RobbomanRobboman Posts: 848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree it's on too long. The actual game is brilliant and will never get old. But it's a twenty minute game at most, add in a few adverts and it's a half hour show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The writing is on the wall for DOND.

When it returns to air in a few days time it is apparently now to be shown at just a few minutes after 1pm every lunchtime at a time of day when even fewer people will bother to make the effort or be able to watch.

The clearest sign yet that Channel 4 have finally given up on the show and are just trying to get rid of the remaining shows left in the box.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems like DOND is finally bowing out very soon when the recorded shows in the backlog are finally aired. No new ones have been made since the early part of last year. Well it was good while it lasted but even any fan would admit the show has been in decline for at least the past 2 years now, if not a bit longer. Until about 6 months ago I could count the shows I'd ever missed on one hand. But I haven't bothered with it at all for the past 2 weeks now. There is nothing more for it to give even fans. Time to call it a day and it's long overdue as a constant week in week out overlong programme.
  • Options
    JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    when will aplications open again and where could I find an application form?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    when will aplications open again and where could I find an application form?
    They're not, insofar as the show as we know it which has effectively been axed. Only some outstanding shows that were filmed in early 2015 are waiting to finally be aired at some point maybe this autumn, if at all.
  • Options
    pixel_pixelpixel_pixel Posts: 6,695
    Forum Member
    This show needs to be no longer than 30 minutes.