Human Right Act, Cameron Backs Down

BillyJamesTBillyJamesT Posts: 2,934
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• 1TrueNorth1TrueNorth Posts: 4,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The tories are all about showmanship and posturing........ NO NO NO she screamed ehile signing the Single European Act.... The single most federalist tging ever adopred by the UK.
  • glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Early victory for Tory backbenches. :D
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Early victory for Tory backbenches. :D

Hardly.

This is a defeat for the backbenchers ... it's the frontbenchers who are in revolt, having assumed they had a get-out of this policy by virtue of continued coalition with the LDs.

Some of the backbenchers would get rid of the HRA and not replace it with anything else...
  • Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    Hardly.

This is a defeat for the backbenchers ... it's the frontbenchers who are in revolt, having assumed they had a get-out of this policy by virtue of continued coalition with the LDs.

Some of the backbenchers would get rid of the HRA and not replace it with anything else...

It actually is high profile Tories including David Davies,Ken Clark ,and Dominic Grieve were all against scrapping the HR act Grieve even went on to say "scrapping it would be a recipe for disaster"

A wafer thin majority and Cameron just could not deliver on this one of his manifesto promises.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-cameron-faces-tory-backbench-rebellion-over-plans-to-scrap-the-human-rights-act-10248313.html

Wonder where this leaves Gove who was in charge of implementation of the policy.?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    Hardly.

You said it yourself...some of the backbenchers...I was referring to the other group...to the likes of David Davies, Dominic Grieve, Ken Clarke & Edward Garnier...who were all being tipped to lead the sane backbenchers against the loony backbenchers.

Indeed I believe Davies even did an interview with the Guardian last week when the issue came up :)
  • zelda fanzelda fan Posts: 6,330
    Forum Member
    Great news, now hopefully they get defeated on the fox hunting ban as well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It actually is high profile Tories including David Davies,Ken Clark ,and Dominic Grieve were all against scrapping the HR act Grieve even went on to say "scrapping it would be a recipe for disaster"

A wafer thin majority and Cameron just could not deliver on this one of his manifesto promises.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/david-cameron-faces-tory-backbench-rebellion-over-plans-to-scrap-the-human-rights-act-10248313.html

Wonder where this leaves Gove who was in charge of implementation of the policy.?

We've written almost identical posts in response...:D
  • MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hopefully miserable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Hopefully miserable.

Well drowning because you got out of your depth isn't exactly a fun experience...ask his illustrious equally legally unqualified predecessor Chris Grayling :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've written almost identical posts in response...:D

What is it they say about great minds.:blush::blush::blush::D

i have been keeping a close eye on this one Nick Ferrari on LBC a well known Tory sympathiser , has had to present this a manifesto pledge that cannot be carried forward great listening.:D .
    Forum Member
    Ukippers are going to tear the Tories apart for backing down on this, wait for the hysteria and mention of all Ukippers fave key words "pc" "LibLabCon" "immigrants".:cool:
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    You said it yourself...some of the backbenchers...I was referring to the other group...to the likes of David Davies, Dominic Grieve, Ken Clarke & Edward Garnier...who were all being tipped to lead the sane backbenchers against the loony backbenchers.

Indeed I believe Davies even did an interview with the Guardian last week when the issue came up :)

OK fair enough, I just can't get my head around the people you cite being backbenchers these days ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it they say about great minds.:blush::blush::blush::D

i have been keeping a close eye on this one Nick Ferrari on LBC a well known Tory sympathiser , has had to present this a manifesto pledge that cannot be carried forward great listening.:D .

It's interesting...they've been warned...loudly by members of their own side...for years and years this was neither "simple" nor easy...not least because the HRA is embedded into the constitutional settlements for Scotland, Wales and almost most important N Ireland...so unpicking that carries huge risks...in the case of the latter with matters of peace/reconciliation etc.

But chickens come home to roost...it's easy for years to sit on the side lines and blame the likes of the EU and the HRA for anything and everything you can't do or at least for stopping you do things in the way suits you.

It's wonderful sound bites for boozy briefings with Mail journos or waking up the sleeping delegates at conference and playing to the far right of your own party miss the days of birching. A great scapegoat or a blame the cat strategy.

The trouble comes however when suddenly and unexpectedly you have the goat in front of you to actually scape or the cat ready for skinning and suddenly reality bites. :D
  • Andrew1954Andrew1954 Posts: 5,448
    Forum Member
    An excellent analysis.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cameron needs to put it to referendum of British people. It's simple let the people decide. This will be the next one just wait and see.
    Forum Member
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    Cameron needs to put it to referendum of British people. It's simple let the people decide. This will be the next one just wait and see.

I doubt it, human rights act is here to stay!:cool:
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zelda fan wrote: »
    Great news, now hopefully they get defeated on the fox hunting ban as well.

There is zero chance of the Fox Hunting ban being overturned as sufficient Tories will support its retention. The commitment in the manifesto was for a free vote and that it what they will have. It's just an easy thin to mark off the governments "to do" list.

Personally, I couldn't care less about fox hunting. Let's just have the vote and get over it. It's not worth wasting a lot of Parliamentary time on.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yet.

They've several Queen's speeches to go. Five years of back door dealing available to them. I wouldn't celebrate just yet
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member

He has not actually backed down - just delayed - now there will be a time of reflection and a report to be delivered in September allowing legislation to be brought forward next year.
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    There is zero chance of the Fox Hunting ban being overturned as sufficient Tories will support its retention. The commitment in the manifesto was for a free vote and that it what they will have. It's just an easy thin to mark off the governments "to do" list.

Personally, I couldn't care less about fox hunting. Let's just have the vote and get over it. It's not worth wasting a lot of Parliamentary time on.

I hope you are right, i am putting my hopes in Conservative mps in the cities to join all the opposition parties in blocking this.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member

Abolishing the HRA - or having a referendum on it - seems pretty pointless as we'd still be subject to the ECHR whether we have the HRA or not.
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zelda fan wrote: »
    I doubt it, human rights act is here to stay!:cool:

Cameron will use British people to circumvent vested interests. It's a no brainier.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    Yet.

They've several Queen's speeches to go. Five years of back door dealing available to them. I wouldn't celebrate just yet

People like David Davies,Ken Clark and Dominic Grieve have independent minds they will not be bought,David Davies even resigned his front bench position on principle,the British Bill of Rights is a dead duck in this parliamentary cycle IMO.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting...they've been warned...loudly by members of their own side...for years and years this was neither "simple" nor easy...not least because the HRA is embedded into the constitutional settlements for Scotland, Wales and almost most important N Ireland...so unpicking that carries huge risks...in the case of the latter with matters of peace/reconciliation etc.

But chickens come home to roost...it's easy for years to sit on the side lines and blame the likes of the EU and the HRA for anything and everything you can't do or at least for stopping you do things in the way suits you.

It's wonderful sound bites for boozy briefings with Mail journos or waking up the sleeping delegates at conference and playing to the far right of your own party miss the days of birching. A great scapegoat or a blame the cat strategy.

The trouble comes however when suddenly and unexpectedly you have the goat in front of you to actually scape or the cat ready for skinning and suddenly reality bites. :D

The HRA was only introduced in 2000. It hasn't had time to get embedded in anything. The idea that we didn't have any rights pre 2000 is ridiculous.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    Cameron will use British people to circumvent vested interests.
    In what way? :confused: