Options

Melody Radio

Clare BClare B Posts: 136
Forum Member
I remember when Melody Radio started on 104.9 & then 105.4fm. V cool station. I'd live this thread to be about everything Melody: info, audio, pics etc.

Wish it was still around. Great station way ahead of it's time.

Comments

• Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first memory of Melody was being forced to listen to it in the car going to school in 1990. I also remember them playing show tunes and light classical music.

Looking back, I'd rather have Melody back than Magic 105.4, although the latter end of the Hanson era Melody was creeping towards the Magic (London) format we have now.
  • Options
    Joey DeaconJoey Deacon Posts: 3,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No jingles, no sweepers, presenters reading the news, easy listening ballads, nothing but speedlinks.

Melody FM sounded very different on the dial...

http://www.aircheckdownloads.com/melody_MalcolmBrown_050498.mp3

http://www.aircheckdownloads.com/melody_DaveGilby_0695.mp3
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wow- that was very interesting- they say the same thing over and over again- it's worse than magic 105.4 is now!!!

And for the people who want Graham Dene back now- I have noticed a big change since he was on drive, and since Angie has taken over she says a lot more that he ever did, it's almost as though she doesn't know when to shut up sometimes- but I love her voice! It is a wonder the management don't tell he to hammer out the speed links though instead of proper chatter!

I notice as well Matrin Collins has been on drive again making mistakes with jingles and stumbled speach!!
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The early days saw an effective advertising campaign which I remember (older) listeners who'd listen to Capital FM/Gold retune to Melody in the early 90s. It's format in those days was quite simple, Melody had the easy listening tracks, while Capital had the pop.

Elements of Melody's format are still part of Magic 105.4's presentation today and I'll credit Emap for the most subtle change of format and branding I've ever heard on radio.

"The Magic of London, Melody 105.4"
  • Options
    Paul EastonPaul Easton Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    No jingles, no sweepers, presenters reading the news, easy listening ballads, nothing but speedlinks.

Melody FM sounded very different on the dial...

Indeed it was - I was one of the original music programmers/producers at Melody and Lord Hanson, who owned the station, wanted it to be similar to the main Easy-Listening station in Palm Springs (where he had one of his homes). Melody also mirrored his music tastes - plenty of Frank Sinatra, Peggy Lee, Ray Conniff and Mantovani.

So the original incarnation of Melody had long (20-30 minute) music sweeps - presenters might just do a short ID at the halfway mark and then a brief back-announce of the last track in the sweep. After a few days presenters started to give more music info "by popular demand" (we had hundreds of calls each day).

The station was on the 2nd floor of 180 Brompton Road - handy for Harrods - and was quite a compact operation compared to many of the original ILR stations, and probably had more in common with the way stations are today.
    wow- that was very interesting- they say the same thing over and over again-
    You have to remember, though, that those airchecks have telescoped the show right down to the absolute basics - the presenter would usually only speak every 3-4 tracks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Thanks for that info, Paul. It was a very interesting station

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melody_105.4_FM

Am I right in thinking the 104.9 signal was a lot weaker than the now 105.4?
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a shame that there isn't a similar format on DAB. Maybe the failure of Prime Time/Saga, which wasn't really in the same ballpark as Melody, discouraged the development of a new easy-listening station.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The early days saw an effective advertising campaign which I remember (older) listeners who'd listen to Capital FM/Gold retune to Melody in the early 90s. It's format in those days was quite simple, Melody had the easy listening tracks, while Capital had the pop.

Elements of Melody's format are still part of Magic 105.4's presentation today and I'll credit Emap for the most subtle change of format and branding I've ever heard on radio.

"The Magic of London, Melody 105.4"

Something they repeat later when re-branding Red Rose 9-99 - "This is Lancashire's Magic - Red Rose 9-99 AM" which slowly became "This is Lancashire's Magic 9-99AM" before relaunching as "Magic 999".
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember Melody's breakfast show? I was just wondering of there was more chat on there like all breakfast shows these days- or if it was still just solid hits with the minimum weather/news/traffic bulletins?
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that info, Paul. It was a very interesting station

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melody_105.4_FM

Am I right in thinking the 104.9 signal was a lot weaker than the now 105.4?

104.9 was OK until the BBC opened a long planned transmitter for Southern Counties Radio in West Sussex (Burton Down 104.8)

That disrupted reception in South West and South London for Melody. The then Radio Authority re allocated Melody 105.4. There was a month's overlap with 104.9 and a very neat RDS trick. 104.9 carried 105.4 as an alternative freq, but nothing the other way round.

The RA then re-advertised 104.9 as a restricted coverage licence for London, which of course XFM won, and went on air in Sept 1997.

104.9 was originally a BBC allocation to be used in High Wycombe for BBC Berks. BBC Berks launched but without the HW Tx. So the IBA grabbed the allocation for Melody (aka ILR London 5). Years later HW did get a BBC LR relay, but for 3CR on 98.0.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I right in recalling that the slightest lift could cause havoc between Melody and BBC R Lelcester on 104.9?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Melody's breakfast show? [...] just solid hits with the minimum weather/news/traffic bulletins?

Not what I'd call "hits" but yes, minimalist as you describe plus time checks. And ads of course.
  • Options
    KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RadioRob wrote: »
    Am I right in recalling that the slightest lift could cause havoc between Melody and BBC R Lelcester on 104.9?
    You are correct. I remember tuning too Melody on 104.9 when there was a lift on and Melody was almost flattened by BBC Radio Leicester. That was quite amazing when you consider that I can see the Croydon mast from my location.

As Mark C said, Melody moved to 105.4 because of BBC SCR, but it was also due to the co-channel interference from the Copt Oak transmitter of R Leicester.

Here's a recording I made of the test transmission on 104.9 - sorry about the audio quality but it was recorded on a ropey old cassette recorder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone remember Melody's breakfast show?

Peter Dickson presented the breakfast show on Melody FM.

He's the big voice used on The X Factor.
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presumably he did not use the now famous "big voice" for the show!
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/clips/p005fnvm/randoms_the_x_husband/
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some well known voices were Richard Skinner morning show and Russell Pocket. Tim Smith from BBC Radio used to present the afternoon show.
  • Options
    Scott HatleyScott Hatley Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    Radio Leicester still causes problems with XFM in Hertfordshire when there's lift.
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Leicester still causes problems with XFM in Hertfordshire when there's lift.

It will do, XFM is no more immune to R. Leicester, than Melody was, it's just that XFM's licence has that as limitation to reception.
  • Options
    tini canstini cans Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    It's a shame that there isn't a similar format on DAB. Maybe the failure of Prime Time/Saga, which wasn't really in the same ballpark as Melody, discouraged the development of a new easy-listening station.

It's an easy format to operate. Easy to voicetrack too.
  • Options
    KnobTwiddlerKnobTwiddler Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    XFM runs lower power than Capital, LBC, Heart and Absolute.

XFM is only 2.9 kW and Absolute is 3.73 kW from Crystal Palace - the others from Croydon are 4 kW, Radio Leicester on the other hand runs 8 kW.

I see on the map that the Copt Oak transmitter is North West of Leicester, so unfortunately it would not be possible to null the signal towards London.
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    Those test transmissions were brilliant. I remember them as being one of the few examples of a station's actual programming sounding the same as the tests. London had a real alternative until it became Magic in late 1998.
  • Options
    Seagull259Seagull259 Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a station I listened to when I wanted something a bit different although I was probably a little on the young side for their target audience (although only just!). The show tunes were particularly good & always brought back memories of my childhood & the Light Programme. There was also a feeling of the old offshore Radio 390 too. Pity it is not still around.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 274
    Forum Member
    i was always under the impression that melody changed really because it wasnt doing that well with audience figures? magic stuck to long sweeps of music but sounds a lot more modern.

got to say though i only listen to magic now when martin collins is on because i love his fighting with the magic computer!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dontask wrote: »
    i only listen to magic now when martin collins is on because i love his fighting with the magic computer!

Hehe. At least he's always "well and happy" - so that's fine. ;)

If you listen to those two Melody FM airchecks I posted earlier, there are in fact a large number of songs which are still played today on Magic 105.4 which were played on Melody 15+ years ago.
  • Options
    coastal homecoastal home Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Peter Dickson presented the breakfast show on Melody FM.

He's the big voice used on The X Factor.

David Hamilton did it for quite a while too.The Coast 106 used to play a lot of stuff like Melody-Gordon Lightfoot,Jim Croce and American soft rock but now that's gone to louder rock Music and will soon be Jack-nothing i like seems to last!.