Trivial things that annoy you about TV

Comments

• shandersshanders Posts: 5,907
    Forum Member
    Oxygen78 wrote: »
    Badly dubbed adverts!
    Sometimes it's so blatant, you can actually see the actor speaking the lines in a different language and they've just dubbed an English voice over the top and the mouth movement isn't even close. It's like they're not even trying to hide it. I don't know how an ad agency or company can look at that end product and go 'Yup, that's exactly what we're after.'.

Haha yes these are so funny! Mr Muscle ones spring to mind!
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the moment, the seemingly never-ending Oscar Pistorious trial that's being used to give news channel producers a month off.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,563
    Forum Member
    suesuesue wrote: »
    Yes I noticed that but I do think it was a mistake because it came over so loud over Jackos dialogue. A bit like when they go over to local news before the presenters are ready and catch them chatting away!

I've noticed it a few times before on other things though :D
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    -> Reality shows and Z-list celebrities dominating shows and TV schedules
    -> Soaps are on too often - go back to showing them twice a week!
    -> Z-list celebrities on game shows. They were much better with members of the general public as contestants. I don't mind the odd celeb special (eg at Christmas) but not all the time.
    -> Ads being on every channel at the same time
    -> Music channels playing the top 40 on a loop or only playing current music rather than older songs
    -> The OTT coverage of the Pistorius trial
  • Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it's too much camera movement in fast action sequences. I was watching an American programme the other day, a fight scene and it made my sea sick looking at it! The camera was all over the place as well as the actors.

I sort of get why they're doing it if they're using stunt doubles, but it's the laziest way of doing it as well. Buffy never used to have such fast camera movements in her fight scenes! Watching it on my laptop is worse because my eyes can't focus as quickly on the action, I end up just getting bored of the fight scenes!

Also programmes that recap too much. A little is fine, but not 2-3 minutes worth! You end up hearing the same piece of dialogue 5 times or more in an episode! The intro, the actual moment, before the break (sometimes two different breaks) and the recap of the episode. This is really annoying as I work in TV and know a lot of the time good things get cut because of no time, well if there wasn't so much recapping there would be time!
  • sianlovescatssianlovescats Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate it when the credits are going upscreen at the end of a programme. The screen splits in two and the continuity announcer is chirping about what’s on next.....it always happens when I spot a new cast member, whose name I can’t remember, to see his/her real name. And the name is in such small print that I can’t see it properly. Pain in the butt-crack! Cast lists are not always immediately updated on imdb.

And as shanders tated earlier: when I go to catch-up it’s always a shock to see that an hour long programme takes up just 43 minutes. Jeremy Kyle’s shows, last week, veered from 47 minutes to 43 minutes.
    The different and extremely annoying changes in sound levels when programmes break off for adverts. It’s ridiculous, pointless and TOO LOUD!

The annoying habit of many brand companies who use celebrities to advertise their wares. Why pay bucket loads of money to someone like Brad Pitt in those pretentious little Chanel adverts, when there are many working actors/models trying to scrape a living? Why would anyone want to buy Chanel scent when Brad Pitt looks like he only showers on his birthday?

And what about the sports reporters who say “If you don’t want to know the result look away now!” And they then give the result verbally. I suppose they think that the viewers are deaf too!

And I can’t stand the idiotic ‘news’ presenters who, when someone’s been affected by a traumatic incident, say to the interviewee “That must have been very scary for you!” Uhhhh, the word ‘scarey’ is more appropriate to describe the weirwolf or Dracula masks that children wear on Halloween and not to describe a confrontation with an axe-wielding murderous psychopath. Kate Garroway, stop your childish babbling!

And as Yo Omars Comin said upthread regarding quiz contestants who turn an answer into a ‘discussion’ about what and why the answer isn’t, rather than stick to the point. And everyone knows it is to fill time and keep a potential prize pot as low as possible.

And my biggest bugbear.......when the compere of a programme says.....” And the winner of today’s/tonight’s prize of six weeks holiday to mauritius and £40,000 taxfree issssssssssssssss........and 30 seconds later.......is.........Jimmy etc.........it drives me around the bloody twist!

Ah well, I will no doubt find other litle annoyances later today. Good thread subject, thanks degsyhufc.x
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scruffy game show contestants.

If I was going to be on national TV I'd want to be as smart as possible. Not look like I've just been dragged in off the streets.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The utter crap that's served up on daytime television. I just switched on while I was grabbing a quick lunch, only to be greeted by a truly demented, lunatic madwoman on This Morning, telling you how to recognise when an angel has visited you. Then she started rambling on about animal angels.

I know I can switch off (which I did), but I still found myself annoyed by the very fact that TV researchers dragged this idiot out of her asylum and that Eamonn Holmes has so little self-respect that he went along with it.
  • ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member
    "Warning: Flash photography" coming up on screen a few seconds after the flash photography has started.
  • EmmabellEmmabell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    The seemingly increased volume inbetween programs.
    Babies who doze off during a programme soon wake when the adverts come on, I always turn on the BBC when a baby kips now.
    People on quiz shows who say they know the answer, and then tell us what it isn't before telling us what it is.
    "Well I know it's not Tin because my Mum uses tin foil, and it's not Chile because I went there last year, so my answer is B. Cantaloupe."
    I stopped watching Eggheads when that fat bloke used to spend ten minutes explaining what the wrong answers were and why.
    Anyone on a quiz show who says "Oh that's a bit before my time"....grrrr
    Question....'What American president was assasinated in 1963?'
    Answer.....'That's a bit before my time, I wasn't even born then'.
  • PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oxygen78 wrote: »
    Yes! This so annoys me. There seem to be quite a few quiz shows around at the moment where the contestants have to talk through their thinking. I can see if they were solving a riddle or a puzzle it's a good idea. But 'What is the capital of France' doesn't need a 1 minute discussion on why they think it might be Berlin or Paris but aren't quite sure. GET ON WITH IT.

It's well known that on some shows (most notably In It To Win It), the contestants are told to faff around in order to pad the show out and fill its' timeslot.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Extra long title sequences.

The Sopranos, Dexter and True Detectives were bad for this. Maybe Homeland as well along with many others.

It maybe ok once but when you get into the series it's just a bore and I FF through them.

Dexter was extra bad with the recaps. It could be over three minutes into the show before the new episode actually started.

The Blacklist and Bates Motel don't really have a title sequence, more just a title screen that flashes up for a second - Perfect!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Educating Yorkshire was a prime example of programmes represented by that Mitchell and Webb spoof. There were at least five minutes completely wasted at the beginning of every episode.
    Forum Member
    GRC wrote: »
    Continuity announcers talking/shouting over end credits, especially when the end credit is part of a music documentary, and the specially-composed end credit music forms part of the show.
    There are a couple of dedicated threads on continuity announcers :D

I'll add the ones from Food Network.
    One of the main programmes on the channel is Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives and is presented by Guy Fieri.

Only his name is pronounced as Fee-etty.

Every episode he starts by saying "Hi, I'm Guy Fee-etty and welcome to...."

And every day before the show the announces says "Now we go to see some more Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives with Guy Fieri"

Arrrgghhh!!!!

Don't they watch their own shows? Surely someone from the channel must have pointed it out.
    and this has been going on for a few years now!!!
  • james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    opening credits continuing into the programme for like 10 minutes , sometimes more . I'll be trying to follow the story but every few seconds another Producer's name comes up , again and again .

that's mainly american produced shows don't think there's any uk shows that do that but yes it is annoying
  • greygrey Posts: 4,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    james_W85 wrote: »
    that's mainly american produced shows don't think there's any uk shows that do that but yes it is annoying

Watching the opening credits of some American shows goes on and on with so many producers mentioned
    What do they all do?:confused:
    In the past the shows were produced by one person ,these days there can be up to 20 of them

Another thing that winds me up is the news presenters waving their arms about like windmills when they're just describing an event
    Forum Member
    grey wrote: »
    Watching the opening credits of some American shows goes on and on with so many producers mentioned
    What do they all do?:confused:
    In the past the shows were produced by one person ,these days there can be up to 20 of them
    It seems that on some shows the main cast members are all listed as producers.

grey wrote: »
    Another thing that winds me up is the news presenters waving their arms about like windmills when they're just describing an event
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwAioN2mtsA :D
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who generally mess around in the background of live news reports. They just simply look like tw*ts.

You usually see these people at weekends or on Sky Sports News on transfer deadline day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weather presenters who talk about "organised rain" and "spits and spots". Do they really teach them that kind of crap at university?
  • greygrey Posts: 4,985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    It seems that on some shows the main cast members are all listed as producers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwAioN2mtsA :D

Brilliant.
    I've never watched Mitchell and Webb before:)
    youtube here I come
  • duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TV Chefs , all of them , each and everyone of them have egos the size of a large planet
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even more annoying is that the TV companies deny that they do this.

Do they think we're thick?
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even more annoying is that the TV companies deny that they do this.

Do they think we're thick?

They will probably claim that programmes run at lower volumes for greater dynamic range or other artistic reasons. The advertisers will think that hitting people with loud soundtracks on adverts grabs their attention and completely overlook all the people who press the mute button. Bums on seats is all that matters to them!
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -> Reality shows and Z-list celebrities dominating shows and TV schedules
    -> Soaps are on too often - go back to showing them twice a week!
    -> Z-list celebrities on game shows. They were much better with members of the general public as contestants. I don't mind the odd celeb special (eg at Christmas) but not all the time.
    -> Ads being on every channel at the same time
    -> Music channels playing the top 40 on a loop or only playing current music rather than older songs
    -> The OTT coverage of the Pistorius trial

I would say this riles me more than anything because we KNOW the channels all do this deliberately so that we cannot enjoy a snatch of another show on another channel whilst a boring, annoying ad is interrupting our prime viewing. It's a conspiracy and it is designed to to show us viewers who is boss of what we watch and when >:(

A small but niggling irritant for me is when I tune in to watch a show I have been waiting for, usually on Ch4 or ITV, and even though the start time is on the menu for example say 4pm, the filler ads are still playing at 4.02 or 4.03. That really annoys me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All channels seem to have adverts on at the same time.
    Said adverts being ten times as loud as the programme.
    The same episodes of the same programmes being repeated time and time again.