Options

The Forbidden Fruit Was Religion (Or "Awareness Of God / a Creator")

St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just thought of this, and it makes sense.

We should all just go naked, enjoy our lives, and not think about what happens when we die.

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    if we all go naked we won`t be enjoying too much life before we freeze to death.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    if we all go naked we won`t be enjoying to much life before we freeze to death.

>:( Logic? In General Discussion? tisk tisk you really should know better.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    >:( Logic? In General Discussion? tisk tisk you really should know better.

typed "too" better is what i should have done. :D
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member

We should all just go naked, enjoy our lives, and not think about what happens when we die.

So, you're quoting from the bit of a religious book which deals with a creator in order to make a point about ignoring religion and the idea of a creator? :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ah, but you can't go back. Pre-fall Adam and Eve just had everything they needed, and could sport and frolic all day. But post-fall, they had to become grown ups and find their own food and warmth. Which is normally portrayed as a bad thing - the word 'fall' is a clue - but the Gnostics believed that it is a positive story of human beings attaining adult wisdom and understanding.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, you're quoting from the bit of a religious book which deals with a creator in order to make a point about ignoring religion and the idea of a creator? :confused:

Yep, Its like The Cohen Brothers' Fargo, "This Is A True Story" at the beginning.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought "original sin" was putting the red socks in the wash with the whites.
  • Options
    Forum Member

no, that`s wearing a collar with a collar.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brown shoes + blue suit!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    no, that`s wearing a collar with a collar.
    Brown shoes + blue suit!

Surely it's white ankle socks with sandals!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    head to toe denim is all the wrong sin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely it's white ankle socks with sandals!
    oh well played.
    Does shopping in Asda in pyjamas in the morning not count too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finally impart my great revelation, and folk want to chat about socks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    oh well played.
    Does shopping in Asda in pyjamas in the morning not count too?

Ah ... but we're talking about the original sin ... and I reckon sandals and socks predate Asda!

Of course, if we were to all go around naked as the OP suggests, there would be no socks, no pyjamas, no head-to-toe denim, no collars and no mixing red clothes with white!
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stirring a cup of tea with a coffee spoon, I hope God gave them a good telling off for that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course, if we were to all go around naked as the OP suggests, there would be no socks, no pyjamas, no head-to-toe denim, no collars and no mixing red clothes with white!
    that way there would be far less ways to humiliate oneself. No skirts tucked in the back of knickers. It'll never catch on. :kitty:
  • Options
    bookcoverbookcover Posts: 6,216
    Forum Member
    I finally impart my great revelation, and folk want to chat about socks.

:D:D:D
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's interesting theologically, but it doesn't actually work, because they were aware of the creator before eating the delicious fruit; he'd spoken to them and told them not to do it. Adam could just have gone "nah, fruit's for pussies, we're in the Garden Of Eden, there's crisps and lasagne and everything" and they'd have been no better off, if awareness of the creator was the problem.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    If the forbidden fruit was the awareness of God then who did Adam and Eve think was telling them not to eat the apple? Are you trying to introduce even more contradictions? :p

(Edit - snap.)
  • Options
    DoctorbDoctorb Posts: 3,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course, the Bible account of this story really doesn't make sense, history written by the winners, biased religious dogma etc. If you go back to the original/earlier Greek /Babylonian 'myths', the serpent was most likely Prometheus/Loki, and while God is Enlil Zeus/Odin. Enki gave Man fire, the wheel, agriculture, civilisation, medicine, writing and language. This was the forbidden fruit the stripped down Genesis version allured to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Doctorb wrote: »
    Of course, the Bible account of this story really doesn't make sense, history written by the winners, biased religious dogma etc. If you go back to the original/earlier Greek /Babylonian 'myths', the serpent was most likely Prometheus/Loki, and while God is Enlil Zeus/Odin. Enki gave Man fire, the wheel, agriculture, civilisation, medicine, writing and language. This was the forbidden fruit the stripped down Genesis version allured to.

Yeah ... but what else has he ever done for us? ;-)
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I've always wanted to know is how the serpent travelled before god condemned it to crawl on its belly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    What I've always wanted to know is how the serpent travelled before god condemned it to crawl on its belly.

Rollersnakes
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »

Well obviously it flew.
  • Options
    NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there not a separate religion sub-forum for people to talk about loaves, fishes, fairies, pixies and all related scripture hogwash?