Antenna --> DVD RF In
RF-
DVD RF Out --> VCR In
VCR Out --> TV

Scarts-
TV AV1 --> DVD AV1
DVD AV2 --> Sky
Sky --> VCR AV2

When the Sky box is removed, how would I put the Freesat into the loop? Just swap them over? Do all Freesat have scart sockets?
Also, which Freesat box would you recommend? Is the most expensive one better?

Comments

• -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    Yes most have scart so just a direct swap will be fine.
    As to which box will all depend on certain things like:
    Is your TV a HDTV and have an HDMI input, or even plan on getting one in the future.
    Does your current sky box have 2 feeds from LNB.
    Do you want a PVR so you can record or just a box to view live tv.
    Do you wish to use on demand content like BBCiPlayer, ITV Player, YouTube etc
    How much are you willing to spend.
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Newer boxes only have a single TV scart so you wouldn't be able to daisy chain scart connections via the box.
    Forum Member
    Newer boxes only have a single TV scart so you wouldn't be able to daisy chain scart connections via the box.

Ahh I didn't take much notice of diagram showing Sky box connected to VCR :o
    Possibly could still daisy chain, by going directly through the VCR to the TV?
    Maybe a PVR is the best option then no need to connect to the VCR at all.
  • Coz21Coz21 Posts: 1,906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies, but sorry, I got my connections slightly wrong. I copied and pastewd them from an old thread of mine on here from when we had a VCR in the loop. Forget about the VCR! We have a TV, Sky box and DVD recorder/video/freeview comi, so these are the connections:

Antenna to DVD RF In
    RF:
    DVD RF Out to TV
    Scarts:
    TV AV1 to DVD AV1
    DVD AV2 to Sky
    Sky to TV AV2

I'm assuming I wouldn't need an antenna or RF lead into the Freesat box? So it's just the scarts I have to sort out. If the Freesat box has 2 scart sockets, do I just swap the Sky box with the Freesat and leave the scarts as they are? But what if it only has 1 scart socket? What do I do then?

TV isn't a HDTV, but maybe would get one in the future.
    What do you mean by 2 feeds by LDN?
    Yes, want PVR.
    What is the advantage of on demand if you can record whatever you are going to miss on the hard drive?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming I wouldn't need an antenna or RF lead into the Freesat box?

Correct.
    But what if it only has 1 scart socket? What do I do then?

TV AV1 ==> DVD
    TV AV2 ==> Freesat
    What do you mean by 2 feeds by LDN?

Two feeds from LNB. The LNB is the thing on the end of the dish's arm. A satellite PVR/recorder requires two cables coming from the LNB, whether it's a Sky PVR or a Freesat PVR, becuase it has two tuners (allowing you to record one thing while you watch another, or record two things at the same time). If your Sky box is a PVR then it will have two cables coming from the dish. If it's only a single-tuner receiver then it will only have one cable and to replace it with a Freesat PVR you will need to get a second cable from the dish.
    What is the advantage of on demand if you can record whatever you are going to miss on the hard drive?

The on-demand services like iPlayer and ITVPlayer are catch-up services, so if you've missed something or forgotten to record it then you can catch up via these services over the internet, if your broadband is good enough. Freesat boxes have these services built-in, but some models only have some services. Youtube is only available on the latest generation Humax Freesat PVR, the HDR-1000s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks. About the connections, does it not need to be looped up like we have it now with the Sky?
    I have looked at all the boxes on the argos website and got it down to either the Bush 320GB (or 500GB) or the Humax 500GB. Alot of people ar saying in the reviews that the Humax one is a better quality? Would you say that? Which one would you go for, Bush or Humax. If they both have the same features.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 273
    Forum Member
    Coz21 wrote: »
    Thanks. About the connections, does it not need to be looped up like we have it now with the Sky?
    I have looked at all the boxes on the argos website and got it down to either the Bush 320GB (or 500GB) or the Humax 500GB. Alot of people ar saying in the reviews that the Humax one is a better quality? Would you say that? Which one would you go for, Bush or Humax. If they both have the same features.

the Humax is most definitely the far superior, TBH i wouldnt touch Bush anything with a 10 foot bargepole..... as the saying goes, ya get what ya pay for....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,741
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No. The Sky box didn't need to be linked like that either.

I think the way you had it before allows you to record onto the DVD from Sky and also allows you to view Sky via either TV AV1 or AV2 (depending on which of the AV1 and AV2 sockets were input or input/output). Not really necessary.

You will have two SCART devices - the DVD and the Freesat box. Just plug each one into a SCART socket on the TV. When you want to watch DVD, switch the TV to AV1. When you want to watch Freesat, switch the TV to AV2. It might even switch automatically when you turn the relevant box on.
    Forum Member
    My advise would be to run another cable from the dish if you don't already have one.
    If you have a single LNB(the bit on the arm of the dish) then you could easily replace it wil a Twin LNB which you can get from the likes of Maplins, but I would check to see if the current one has more than one connector on it or not first.
    This way it gives a little bit more choice which then means you can use the full function of a Freesat+ HDR for all your viewing and recording needs which then means you don't need to worry about using the DVD recorder for this purpose.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    My advise would be to run another cable from the dish if you don't already have one.
    If you have a single LNB(the bit on the arm of the dish) then you could easily replace it wil a Twin LNB which you can get from the likes of Maplins, but I would check to see if the current one has more than one connector on it or not first.
    This way it gives a little bit more choice which then means you can use the full function of a Freesat+ HDR for all your viewing and recording needs which then means you don't need to worry about using the DVD recorder for this purpose.

Assuming the OP has a Sky type oval minidish, there are no twin lnbs. The choice is 1 4 or 8 outputs.
    Forum Member
    Assuming the OP has a Sky type oval minidish, there are no twin lnbs. The choice is 1 4 or 8 outputs.

Really:confused: I could of sworn they sell them in Maplin.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/2-way-satellite-lnb-97020
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/twin-universal-satellite-lnb-47171?action=noagentcheck
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The ones they sell in Maplin have a feedhorn designed for a round dish. If you fit one on a Sky Minidish (they are a different diameter so won't fit without a bodge), you will either not use the full dish face so get less signal or worse look past the edge of the dish which can mean you pick up interference.

http://www.aerialsat.com/cat/lnbs.html?refine=manufacturer_sky&gclid=CIHt7s638rUCFczHtAodJ3UAqg

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/LNBpics.htm
    Forum Member
    The ones they sell in Maplin have a feedhorn designed for a round dish. If you fit one on a Sky Minidish (they are a different diameter so won't fit without a bodge), you will either not use the full dish face so get less signal or worse look past the edge of the dish which can mean you pick up interference.

http://www.aerialsat.com/cat/lnbs.html?refine=manufacturer_sky&gclid=CIHt7s638rUCFczHtAodJ3UAqg

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/LNBpics.htm

Well I must say that I purchased a quad LNB from Maplin along with a Sky dish adapter and have had no noticeable issues. http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z126/gonzo1_photo/3051672D-23FA-4793-8003-A7BE50469191-7353-000002EB20BCA8C6.jpg
    Well at lest now if I do get issues then I've got an idea of what the problem may be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I must say that I purchased a quad LNB from Maplin along with a Sky dish adapter and have had no noticeable issues. http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z126/gonzo1_photo/3051672D-23FA-4793-8003-A7BE50469191-7353-000002EB20BCA8C6.jpg
    Well at lest now if I do get issues then I've got an idea of what the problem may be.

The quad you bought is possibly a Sky type anyway. Standard LNB's have a larger diameter so won't normally fit in a Sky adapter. They make the barrels smaller so you can't easily fit the wrong type.

They simply don't make twin ones for oval dishes. They make so many million quads that makes them very very cheap on e-bay that there's no point in not using a quad anyway.

(£6.99 delivered - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-SKY-MK4-QUAD-LNB-Sky-HD-Freesat-HD-READY-LMB-/160675465567?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_LNBs&hash=item256901095f )

Your photo looks like a Sky one made by Wistron the same as the above one.
    Forum Member

Your photo looks like a Sky one made by Wistron the same as the above one.

I took a pic of the label on the top, though its not quite clear enough to see the small print.
    http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z126/gonzo1_photo/F26D1AD8-79C8-4076-A309-4C9E3B3A7FA1-7538-000002F56103E0F8.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I took a pic of the label on the top, though its not quite clear enough to see the small print.
    http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z126/gonzo1_photo/F26D1AD8-79C8-4076-A309-4C9E3B3A7FA1-7538-000002F56103E0F8.jpg

Not a name I know. If it works then as you say no problems. Imagine it cost more than £7.00.
    Forum Member
    Not a name I know. If it works then as you say no problems. Imagine it cost more than £7.00.

Yeah I think it may have been between £20-£24 back in August.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I think our dish is a round one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone. I think our dish is a round one.

You may have to adjust the dish alignment a bit. The extra weight of the lnb and extra cable can affect the alignment a tiny bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You may have to adjust the dish alignment a bit. The extra weight of the lnb and extra cable can affect the alignment a tiny bit.

Ok, thanks :)