Laser Broadcasting - Is this Finally the End?

Comments

• Kix96Kix96 Posts: 760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Congratulations Mr Nigel Reeve. You are not only destroying radio stations, you are destroying people’s lives.

To be honest, This one statement sums everything up nicely. I've said similar for a while.

I really just wish ALL staff would walk out. Let the stations die, and get them relicenced where possible and appropriate.

As sad as it I really think the staff are not gonna get any more money, and are just being abused frankly.

Lets just end it here, and give the staff of the stations a chance of a future income.

I can't even imagine how bad it must be to have to HOPE to get paid at the end of the month.

Its horrific frankly.

Turn off the automation, and walk out now, with your heads held high - because you are all the only reason the stations are still on air at all.

Good luck!
  • Judge JewelsJudge Jewels Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    That's inside knowledge. Bang on the button.
    But does Reeve care?

To a degree but you have to be 'in' to glean the knowledge.I have friends in TLRC and other groups and after conversations, the information goes around. Especially with such hot topics such as this. Many are worried to air views for fear of repurcussions but you can't be had up for the truth. If I have been given duff info then I apologise and will remove the post. Please correct where appropriate.

I am not here to create situations that never existed but a little bit of information ( which, if incorrect please correct me ) certainly keeps the fires burning. This is a major situation for the radio industry and cannot go unnoticed. There must be over 30 - 50 peopke in this current position and you won't be able to silence them all. And why should you? It appears they have been shafted and their voices should be heard.

If this isn't the case then please someone shed some light and put this to bed once and for all.

As I am lead to believe the first casualty of all this was breakfast presenter Dan Chisholm from Brunel FM. Apparently he wasn't paid on time, he went down the right path to get his wages, the company didn't pay him on time and he walked out. His story made the local paper and good for him. If people lie down and take it, nothing will ever change. Stand up and be counted.

From what I can glean from the posts in the existing forums, there will be alot of people that will be contacting solicitors tomorrow to try and claim back un paid wages. I wish you all the best of luck. This sort of behaviour is unnaceptable for the commercial radio industry. In hard times such as this, groupds / stations / MDs etc, should be providing the best service they possibly can and looking after its employees 100%. Without them you have no business and its another nail in the commercial radio coffin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Not only do i feel sorry for the people that work at laser stations but also for the listeners who must be tuning away by now.

Brunel has been belting out non stop music since 4 this afternoon.
    There new weekday schedule is down to just 2 day time jocks with plenty of non stop music for good measure.

I guess its the norm at a laser station well they dont have to pay a computer to do the work unless the powers cut off & thats a possibility!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    If I have been given duff info then I apologise and will remove the post. Please correct where appropriate.

Not at all; your information tallies with what I've heard from contacts on the inside.
    This is a major situation for the radio industry and cannot go unnoticed. There must be over 30 - 50 people in this current position and you won't be able to silence them all. And why should you? It appears they have been shafted and their voices should be heard.

Absolutely right, although I suspect the numbers may be higher. The truth is, there are many who are making sure their voices are being heard - and in very high places too. It would be nice to see OFCOM grasp the nettle and show whether it has any teeth.
    There will be alot of people that will be contacting solicitors tomorrow to try and claim back unpaid wages.

Sadly, they won't be able to jump on the back of the current action, but by contacting the solicitors and adding their voice, Laser will find it much harder to pay their way out of trouble by settling this action.

As you said - I believe the money everyone is waiting for is lost. This is the chance for those who lose out to ensure that Laser is stopped in its tracks. Stand up and be counted!
    Forum Member
    radiobloke wrote: »
    Brunel has been belting out non stop music since 4 this afternoon. Their new weekday schedule is down to just 2 daytime jocks with plenty of non stop music for good measure!

Yes, two daytime presenters have resigned and a third was replaced by a new programme controller. That means that only one remains of the four daytime jocks who were there in August.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The money is gone, either get these stations sold by the administrator, or just shut them down. A station closing is always sad, but at least the staff would know where they stand one way or another.
    Edit:

The new brunel site is up: http://www.brunelfm.com/ Very professional... jesus! The TLRC sites have their major faults, but at least they looked half decent/professionally built. These are horrific. Have a look at the designer's (link at bottom of site) portfolio... what a mess!
    Forum Member
    Kix96 wrote: »
    The money is gone, either get these stations sold by the administrator, or just shut them down. A station closing is always sad, but at least the staff would know where they stand one way or another.

If the staff aren't getting their money anyway, what's the point in staying?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which laser stations are now resigned to playing mostly back to back music?

Has brunel now only got one presenter?

Are Bath, 3TR and Brunel still taking TLRC network programming?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    Nigel and the directors have a legal responsibility to ensure the company was solvent. Trading otherwise would be a criminal offence.

The problem is that all the stations are separate ltd companies. All contracts are with that business, so staff cannot take action against Laser or Nigel etc - only the station itself.

But if the stations have legal action from staff pending, it will put off potential buyers. The station will close and join the list of liquidated assets.

I understand that only 5% or so of wages will be paid in the event of liquidation - all the money has gone. So someone owed £3000 would get £150. Shocking.

legal action is also pointless at this stage because if the business goes into administration, all action is stopped to allow the liquidator to sort it out.

The best hope for staff is for another operator to take over to secure some jobs for the future and get the the people owed a better deal than 5 f*ing %

In any event, nobody is likely to be paid the full amount owed.

It could get even nastier if stations are offered a settlement that some staff want to take to keep a job and keep on air and others refuse to do a deal - putting everyone out of a job.

The only think to do is NEVER work for a company with the board of Laser on it again!!!! of course if you work in laser accounts and can find evidence that directors were paid while staff were not, and that money WAS taken from stations accounts before payday, then a trip to your local CID may be in order....not to suggest that was the case.

I also understand that at least 3 groups have made offers for 4 Laser stations. If you end up back with a Nigel run business after this then something fishy is going on.

Best of luck to the staff at Laser stations this week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, don't think so.. but some streams are still hosted by TLRC.

To be honest, in an ideal world where company's have morals, TLRC would take back control of these stations in the short term until alternative buyers can be found.

Yeah.. no chance :(

For all the abuse they get - they CAN run a network of perhaps otherwise unprofitable stations - and pay staff regularly and without problem.
    Forum Member
    flackers wrote: »
    Has brunel now only got one presenter?

Are Bath, 3TR and Brunel still taking TLRC network programming?

Roger Noble is on breakfast, Kate Constance is still covering evening and Jonathan Fido is now head of programmes and presenting drivetime

They replaced TLRC networking with automated music soon after Laser took control. There is supposed to be networked programming on the horizon, but it ain't gonna happen
    Forum Member
    Jonathan has a 3TR FM contract, so is in more of a strange place than most.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake_w wrote: »

Why? What's the difference between 3TR and any of the other stations?

Presumably he has something in common with the rest of Lazer's employees and is still waiting payment?

The best of luck to all working for Laser during this tough time
    Forum Member

I'm not sure that's true anymore. He's now Head of Programmes at Brunel and is based there. Laser appointed him to replace Ben Williams
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Will ANY breakfast show go out on any Laser station tomorrow?

Obviously without local news in peak time.... most will be in breach?
    Forum Member
    Will ANY breakfast show go out on any Laser station tomorrow?

Obviously without local news in peak time.... most will be in breach?

I think all of the former TLRC stations are as normal - with a breakfast show and full news
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That was before the "winding up" procedure because common knowledge though wasn't it?

What I meant was... will the stations that had shows on Friday, have shows tomorrow (Monday)
    Forum Member
    That was before the "winding up" procedure because common knowledge though wasn't it?

What I meant was... will the stations that had shows on Friday, have shows tomorrow (Monday)

Yes, I understood - but I'd imagine all will continue normally as far as possible, unless staff choose to walk out.

As you may have read earlier, there's a suggestion of staff meetings already having taking place with Nigel Reeve. Maybe there's a plan and the staff are in the loop. I dunno.

I'm pretty sure that if Laser folds, so does all of its radio stations. But earlier comments suggest there's another company lurking around the corner somewhere, with a familiar name on the board of directors. Let's hope that can be stopped.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I understood - but I'd imagine all will continue normally as far as possible, unless staff choose to walk out.

As you may have read earlier, there's a suggestion of staff meetings already having taking place with Nigel Reeve. Maybe there's a plan and the staff are in the loop. I dunno.

I'm pretty sure that if Laser folds, so does all of its radio stations. But earlier comments suggest there's another company lurking around the corner somewhere, with a familiar name on the board of directors. Let's hope that can be stopped.
    Laser part 2. Literally. :(
    Forum Member
    Laser part 2. Literally. :(

Exactly - Nightmare on Darlington Street part two.

I hope something stops him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exactly - Nightmare on Darlington Street part two.

I hope something stops him.
    In the industry I'm in (as far away from radio as possible!), we have(had) a customer who did what you've describe pretty much - just started new companys, exploited loopholes/stupidity and as soon as the money ran out, a new company appeared, wth all his old customers etc.

It really is a joke that this is allowed to occur.

Although all staff are in a nightmare situation, it must be especially upsetting for the ex-TLRC stations, who just a few weeks ago were doing OK.

Surely a Swindon station is profitable, if not the rest.

It's time for OFCOM to step in here... but do they have the power?
    Forum Member
    flackers wrote: »
    Why? What's the difference between 3TR and any of the other stations?

Presumably he has something in common with the rest of Lazer's employees and is still waiting payment?

The best of luck to all working for Laser during this tough time

3TR makes money. Brunel does not.

If the group is split up those stations may end up in opposite positions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3TR makes money. Brunel does not.

If the group is split up those stations may end up in opposite positions.
    if thats true, that is amazing?!

3TR I could easily understand why it would struggle to make anything. Brunel, surely has the best chance of any at turning a profit?!
    Forum Member

I'm not sure it's within OFCOM's remit; maybe certain executives have friends in high places.

As for Swindon, you'd imagine it certainly could be profitable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the industry I'm in (as far away from radio as possible!), we have(had) a customer who did what you've describe pretty much - just started new companys, exploited loopholes/stupidity and as soon as the money ran out, a new company appeared, wth all his old customers etc.

It really is a joke that this is allowed to occur.

Although all staff are in a nightmare situation, it must be especially upsetting for the ex-TLRC stations, who just a few weeks ago were doing OK.

I think they do, but do they have the inclination?

They obviously sanctioned the takeover, would they be happy to swallow the fact they've clearly screwed up?

It's ironic that there's another current thread about Centre Radio, the folding of which caused such embaressment, I believe the process for awarding licences was changed on the strength of it.