Any panic buying of petrol in the North East?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    He only gets 300 miles on a tankful :confused:

As the OP doesn't want to just drive there, but also come back , it will be 600 miles, won't it?
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elke21 wrote: »
    As the OP doesn't want to just drive there, but also come back , it will be 600 miles, won't it?

His car won't do 600 miles on a tankful?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Don't know. I do know mine wouldn't, even though it is a diesel. 520-550 tops, depending what sort of journeys I do
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 483
    Forum Member
    Nope. The petrol stations I've been past today in Sunderland were not massively busy. Silly southerners!
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,535
    Forum Member
    What time is tomorrow's Daily Mail out?, Panic & Outrage all in one story as the main headline I suspect!.
  • GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    And could anyone possibly tell me which is, roughly, the best toll booth to go through at the northern end of the Tyne Tunnel? When I went through last year, I used a booth on the left hand side, it was after dark, and I seemed to hit a series of "Give Way" signs. I've looked for a map of the new set-up, but can't find one. Going south was a dream!
    Both tunnels are now fully open and temporary traffic management has been removed.
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in Whitley Bay at the moment, the petrol stations are busier than normal (i.e. queuing at this time of night, and at 9.30 in the morning) as of yet, I've not seen anywhere that hasn't got fuel. Whitley Bay Sainsburys has plenty in.

As for the new layout, coming from the south, they've taken out the roundabout before you go into the tunnel, it's 2 lanes, and brings you out where you used to. Depending on which part of the Bay you're heading to - either A19 to the Sainsbury's end, or Coast Road (A1058) to the sea front/centre.
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I have been out and about today throughout London and did not see a single queue at any petrol station.

Sainsbury's junction 22 M25.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will you need to fill-up?

I've just Googled London to Whitley Bay, and it's about 300 miles.

I'm in SW London, so it's 320 - 340 miles depending on which route I take, and which relatives we visit on the way. We're also planning on visiting an NT place called Wallington Hall, so the round trip is about 700 miles.
    Glen wrote: »
    Both tunnels are now fully open and temporary traffic management has been removed.

Last time (September 2011, I believe) I came through the Tunnel in the dark; I came through the second toll booth, with a lorry on my left. Every time I tried to pass the lorry, I had a 'give way' on my right, with a vehicle in the lane. It later transpired that both I and the lorry wanted the (new) lane for the A1058 eastbound! I'm looking forward to going through in daylight.
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    I'm in Whitley Bay at the moment, the petrol stations are busier than normal (i.e. queuing at this time of night, and at 9.30 in the morning) as of yet, I've not seen anywhere that hasn't got fuel. Whitley Bay Sainsburys has plenty in.

As for the new layout, coming from the south, they've taken out the roundabout before you go into the tunnel, it's 2 lanes, and brings you out where you used to. Depending on which part of the Bay you're heading to - either A19 to the Sainsbury's end, or Coast Road (A1058) to the sea front/centre.

Thanks MarzBar; we're staying by the Morrisons' on Hillheads. Though if I'm going for petrol first thing Sunday morning, I usually drive to Sainsbury's just to get the engine warmed up before I switch off.
  • MarzBar85MarzBar85 Posts: 15,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks MarzBar; we're staying by the Morrisons' on Hillheads. Though if I'm going for petrol first thing Sunday morning, I usually drive to Sainsbury's just to get the engine warmed up before I switch off.

Just from monitoring the price, it's generally speaking cheaper to buy at Sainsburys here for some strange reason. For Hilheads, straight onto the coast road, and either off at the next junction or keep going to the end, past the big morrisons. 6 adn 2 3's which way you go IMO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On my way home from work I had Radio 5 live on and they were doing a 10-minute piece on "not to panic buy" which was rather hilarious cos they were whipping it up as much as they could :D

Then they had some guy interviewing drivers in Liverpool and asking why they were queuing for fuel and this one guy said "well the prime minister said if you want to queue for petrol, you can" I just thought it was hilarious like the guy had been sitting by his radio awaiting the PM's permission to go out and queue :D:D

Now apart from the guy getting his Prime Ministers quotes slightly mixed up, this strike - if it happens - cant start for at least a couple of weeks if i understand it properly - so won't these people have used a good chunk of their panic bought fuel and need some more by then??

Surely the panic buyers are a far greater threat to the all-round availability of petrol than the actual strikers :cool:
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    I think it will go ahead, easter is coming up, and petrol shortages will ruin alot of people's plans. That is what the unions want. Hit public hard and petrol prices will soar.

well they will need to announce it tomorrow as there is a requirement for 7 days notice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    filled up this evening in tesco. 2 cars there with 16 pumps. They had plenty of fuel and due another delivery tomorrow.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    I'm in rural Scotland where folk rely heavily on their cars. Everyone appears be be carrying on as usual here.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing there's more cars per petrol station down south and other dense population areas. Late night queues and empty pumps at all my local petrol stations.
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    Who hasn't got a jerry can in the boot:eek: And i have 1 can for the lawnmower and one can for the chainsaw with an oil mix 50:1 in the garage. I'm a goner.

Anyone who fills up once a week like clock work needs to have an extra buffer zone to not get caught out.

I don't keep a jerry can in the boot, don't see the need, always been ok in 18 years of driving.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

my fiesta only has a 9 gallon tank. Even driving sensibly I get around 400 miles per tank full.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . We're also planning on visiting an NT place called Wallington Hall, so the round trip is about 700 miles.

That will be glorious if this weather stays, prefer Cragside myself though http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/cragside/ its gorgeous. Enjoy :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    Confirming what I said about the numpties in/around Leeds panic buying;

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/news/leeds-drivers-spark-panic-at-the-petrol-pumps-updated-1-4394579
  • fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    c4rv wrote: »
    well they will need to announce it tomorrow as there is a requirement for 7 days notice.

if they do strike, is it just over easter or will the strikers dig in for a settlement?
  • BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member

Most small to medium petrol cars wont get anywhere near that.
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That will be glorious if this weather stays, prefer Cragside myself though http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/cragside/ its gorgeous. Enjoy :)

Thought of going there as well, but two in a day could be a bit arduous. And from Wallington we can drop down to Kirkharle; always a nice stop for a coffee.
    MarzBar85 wrote: »
    Just from monitoring the price, it's generally speaking cheaper to buy at Sainsburys here for some strange reason. For Hilheads, straight onto the coast road, and either off at the next junction or keep going to the end, past the big morrisons. 6 adn 2 3's which way you go IMO.

As it happened I filled up at a place called Shildon, in County Durham. Had to wait behind one car, so hardly a queue. And unleaded was 3p a litre cheaper than down south.

I may try and squeeze a couple of gallons in on Sunday morning, but in theory I can do Wallington and back, and still have enough petrol to get home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    if they do strike, is it just over easter or will the strikers dig in for a settlement?

nobody knows, its all speculation at the moment. Strikers know there won't be much sympathy for them is they cause mass disruption like last time.
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here in west Yorkshire it's madness either the stations are empty or the independents are charging stupid prices. Down to possibly three days of fuel and struggling to find somewhere
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
    Forum Member
    Yes there was a fair few cars at stations around here today, a good 15-20 car queue at one. I did end up getting petrol near Whitley Bay so you're in luck OP.