Sam Callagham "I feel like I am the new Rylan Clark and Gary Barlow's punch bag"

Comments

• Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    I thought Sam's performance was atrocious. He seems like a nice lad, and I wish him success, but I don't think his voice is very good at all, based on what I've seen so far.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The all-powerful Souli Roots is backing Sam after Kingsland Road's elimination. Bow down. https://twitter.com/Souliroots/status/397124470890328064 :D:D:D:D:D
  • foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam C should not be in the competition as he does not have a strong enough voice.
    Louis made a mistake in choosing him - should have picked Paul!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Makes me wish Kingsland had got shirtless and tweeted "Please vote for us" first.
  • oilcatoilcat Posts: 27,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you cant take the critisism then dont go on a show like X Factor.....what Gary said was mild compared to what the music press will do to him
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    I think Gary was a bit unfair. Looking back to the first couple of weeks it was easy to see that Sam and Luke were not the greatest vocally. Luke has went on to look really good due to song choice and production but Sam has suffered due to same. Just think they see Luke as more marketable but very unfair to make it so personal on Sam just because he is not the chosen one.
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    wise-up wrote: »
    I think he is being overdramatic, he is acting like gary is unfairly singling him out, he is not, sam is the worst performer left and hasn't improved so deserves all the criticism he gets.

But the issue is inconsistency. If Gary was equally honest and forthright with all acts then that would be fine. In fact, it would improve the show if all judges stopped following the script and said what they really feel about an act. (I suspect Mrs O would need her own "bleep" machine)
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gary should back off a little
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »
    But the issue is inconsistency. If Gary was equally honest and forthright with all acts then that would be fine. In fact, it would improve the show if all judges stopped following the script and said what they really feel about an act. (I suspect Mrs O would need her own "bleep" machine)

yep and that's why everyone making a big deal of the suggested changes to the panel for next year doesn't really make sense as they will still just be following the same script
  • amanda daisyamanda daisy Posts: 416
    Forum Member
    Sam might be onto something. Last year, we were acquainted to Rylan's bum, this year we meet Sam's. The boy complains a lot for a person who's trying to get noticed for all the wrong reasons:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBaD5UQEZzQ
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is exactly what I said on Saturday, it reminded me of Rylan all over again. I don't think Gary's been quite as harsh towards to him but he definitely takes it too far.
    Forum Member
    Not all the acts take a song he's been doing his entire career, just to defy him, and murder it.
  • chavetchavet Posts: 2,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not all the acts take a song he's been doing his entire career, just to defy him, and murder it.

Of the many, many outstanding versions of Relight My Fire performed on the show over the years, which is the one that's really moved you or made the song so compelling that you can't get it out of your head? Which version made you go, 'My phone is definitely going on redial tonight'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Mrs O needs a script, otherwise she'd have bugger all to say..as it is, she doesn't have a great deal ;)

Louis, I'm sure just jumbles up stock phrases and cliches..

I agree that Barlow needs to be consistent and he isn't

I'd love to hear what the judges actually think of their own acts, particularly when the performances are pretty dire.

Rich
    x
    Forum Member
    chavet wrote: »
    Of the many, many outstanding versions of Relight My Fire performed on the show over the years, which is the one that's really moved you or made the song so compelling that you can't get it out of your head? Which version made you go, 'My phone is definitely going on redial tonight'?
    I only know Alexandra Burke's version of Relight on XF and I don't really like it. I'm not mad about the original either. But I like the version Take That did on An Audience with TT or the one on The Circus tour and there's another one where they did a mash-up with Crazy. There are several versions I like. For me, Relight My Fire has always been more about putting on a show than about the song itself, but Sam didn't even get the lyrics right, never mind the vocals or the performance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilcat wrote: »
    If you cant take the critisism then dont go on a show like X Factor.....what Gary said was mild compared to what the music press will do to him

The music press won't watch a Cheryl Cole performance and write "Nicola, Kimberley, Nadine, and Sarah are all much better than her."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sam might be onto something. Last year, we were acquainted to Rylan's bum, this year we meet Sam's. The boy complains a lot for a person who's trying to get noticed for all the wrong reasons:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBaD5UQEZzQ

Quoting out of context. afaik that was for charity.
  • Last RequestLast Request Posts: 2,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Sam focused more on his singing rather than doing topless photoshoots he would do a lot better.
  • foxy23foxy23 Posts: 4,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Sam focused more on his singing rather than doing topless photoshoots he would do a lot better.

Totally agree with this - He is trying to hide his distinctly average voice. Should stick to gigging, working his way up, mastering his craft if he wants to get anywhere. Otherwise whichever label signs him had better have the best autotuners in the business!!!!
    Forum Member
    earldbest wrote: »
    Quoting out of context. afaik that was for charity.

Do all people get naked for charity? It's a strange way of raising money and not a very dignifying one either.
    It is a bit out of context, but it shows that Sam is not exactly who he pretends to be. He is asking constantly to be treated seriously, while all he does is take advantage of his looks. Instead of working hard on his vocals to avoid getting harsh comments, he wastes his time on twitter, posting pics of his biceps - asking to get voted for his voice! - and retweeting fans' praises towards him or their indirect attacks towards Gary. What I'm trying to say is that he's playing a game and his comment about being Gary's punchbag was well thought and very tactical. He knew that his fans are already leading a very hateful campaign against Gary and he just made sure that he pulled at their hearstrings by posing as a victim and presenting Gary as a bully. People underestimate this kid. Up until 2 days ago, I thought he was a decent bloke, but once somebody made me aware of some of the things he's been doing, my opinion of him changed radically. The comment he made on Xtra Factor last night came as a confirmation of what kind of person he truly is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Tbh I was expecting a "Just kidding Gary," after his performance at the week end
  • Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    Sam needs to be thanking Gary. It's clearly the reason people keep voting for him.
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member

I am fairly sure the song choice was sod all to do with Sam. The producers would have picked that and Gary would have known in advance it was being done. Although "technically" Louis should be held to blame as his mentor.

It is all part of the script - you must realise that surely?
    Forum Member
    I am fairly sure the song choice was sod all to do with Sam. The producers would have picked that and Gary would have known in advance it was being done. Although "technically" Louis should be held to blame as his mentor.

It is all part of the script - you must realise that surely?

I'm aware of the amount of "freedom" allowed in this kind of shows, but Gary's comment and reaction were obviously not scripted, otherwise they wouldn't have drawn so much hate, after the show, from the behalf of Sam's family.
    And Gary's face when Sam started singing....sorry, I saw him act and he's an awful actor. That shock on his face was genuine.
    As other contestants who have left the show have confessed, there is a list of 3 or more songs the mentors can choose from. Louis chose the song on purpose and Sam went along with it, if he didn't pick the song himself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm aware of the amount of "freedom" allowed in this kind of shows, but Gary's comment and reaction were obviously not scripted, otherwise they wouldn't have drawn so much hate, after the show, from the behalf of Sam's family.
    And Gary's face when Sam started singing....sorry, I saw him act and he's an awful actor. That shock on his face was genuine.
    As other contestants who have left the show have confessed, there is a list of 3 or more songs the mentors can choose from. Louis chose the song on purpose and Sam went along with it, if he didn't pick the song himself.

His mouth was shown to be open 5 seconds into the performance (he wasn't even in the "boxing ring" yet).