Options

The Living and The Dead

jllcjllc Posts: 882
Forum Member
✭✭
Colin Morgan's new show has it's debut at the BFI tonight. Apparantly Colin, co-star Charlotte Spencer, director Alice Troughton and writer Ashley Pharoah will appear before a live audience, and answers some questions. Here is a synopsis of what the show's about.

The Living And The Dead is a new 6x60’ series written by Ashley Pharoah and Matthew Graham, co-creators and writers of Life On Mars, Ashes To Ashes and Eternal Law. Directed by Alice Troughton.

Somerset, England, 1888. A land and a community on the edge of monumental change, on the great hinge between ancient traditional ways and an industrial, scientific future. A land of ghosts and myths, poltergeists and demons - if there was ever a time for those ghosts to rise out of the ground, this would be that time. At the heart of this small community is Nathan Appleby, a reluctant gentleman farmer who is obsessed with proving the existence of the afterlife.

In BBC One’s new original drama this complex and compelling man will investigate hauntings, paranormal happenings, and ghostly visitations, encouraged by the Society for Psychical Research. But as these terrifying investigations become ever more frequent and ever more scary, Nathan starts to see and hear disturbing things that he simply cannot have imagined. Will Nathan’s interest in the occult begin to threaten his family, his livelihood and even his sanity?

The show will start on Tuesday June the 28th.

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have been looking forward to this since it was confirmed last year.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to the Telegraph, it will debut on iplayer on this Friday, 17 June before it airs on BBC 1 on Tues 28th June. All 6 episodes will be uploaded.

Supernatural thriller + Victorian England = oh, yum! Only thing that puzzles me is why show something like this in the spring/summer season. They did this with Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell which had a more autumn/winter tone to it. Weird scheduling. Still, there is almost nothing to watch during the late Spring/early summer period, so I shouldn't complain:)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/categories/drama-and-soaps/highlights
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    This looks like it could be good. The fact that it stars Colin Morgan, is written by the Life on Mars team and is also a historical/fantasy drama makes it a must watch for me anyway! I thought it was another 2 weeks away yet, so it's nice that it's going to be on the iplayer early.
  • Options
    OvertheUnderOvertheUnder Posts: 4,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can tell the BBC is desperate to find a program with similar success to Game of Thrones. American love British based drama.
  • Options
    jack_marsdinjack_marsdin Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    It looks good. I swear I read it was based on a book but giving it a google, apparently not.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,387
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was great, just binged through all six episodes
    Definitely see the Life on Mars influence behind it, with a touch of The Others and Marchlands thrown in.

Which reminds me, we're due the final instalment of Marchlands this year I think
  • Options
    donna255donna255 Posts: 10,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh looks interesting. Will have a watch later tonight.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did 4 episodes had to stop at midnight.:D

Slow but liked it built on the characters.
    Agree did think The Others
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, watch the final two.
    WOW! Was not expecting it to be the woman in red's car in the bog!!

Great cliff hanger
    Why did you kill your wife? So which wife no1 or
    no2?

It will be interesting to see how it goes down when shown on BBC1. I hope we do get a season 2
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member
    Finished this today, great show. Good acting, pacing and script combined with stunning cinematography, absolute class. Also nice to see it didn't suffer from inaudible speech that BBC dramas have been plagued by of late!

I love shows in this genre.
  • Options
    jllcjllc Posts: 882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched it all in one sitting, will also watch it weekly too. The cast was really good Colin and Charlotte made a really nice couple, with good chemistry.
    As others have said you could tell it was made by the Life on Mars Team, and it had a totally unexpected ending.
  • Options
    skiprunnerskiprunner Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    Watched this today in one sitting....fabulous!!!
    Really enjoyed it
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am going to watch episode two tomorrow morning.

I think Colin Morgan and Damien Molony could be brothers! Especially with the facial hair.
  • Options
    excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they took the photograph outside when everyone was wearing the Halloween costumes did it look like the leather jacket he was wearing was far too modern or was that deliberate given the genre ?

I also noticed when he said he could hear Gabrielle in the house he appeared to be sporting a 1960's look with the green jumper on and hair styling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    excelents wrote: »
    When they took the photograph outside when everyone was wearing the Halloween costumes did it look like the leather jacket he was wearing was far too modern or was that deliberate given the genre ?

I also noticed when he said he could hear Gabrielle in the house he appeared to be sporting a 1960's look with the green jumper on and hair styling.

Yes I noticed that too, his clothes seem to get more modern looking with each episode. The clues all fit so well in the last episode - all those hints, I am tempted to go back and re-watch it again to pick up on more of them :)
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    Yes I noticed that too, his clothes seem to get more modern looking with each episode. The clues all fit so well in the last episode - all those hints, I am tempted to go back and re-watch it again to pick up on more of them :)

Please don't give away spoilers as I will be watching this on BBC1. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member

I didn't give anything away :confused: but will put spoilers around future posts if you prefer, but you might want to make a separate thread for BBC1 pace as the entire boxset has been available for a wee while already. I have asked the mods to address this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    I didn't give anything away :confused: but will put spoilers around future posts if you prefer, but you might want to make a separate thread for BBC1 pace as the entire boxset has been available for a wee while already. I have asked the mods to address this.

No worries. :)
  • Options
    excelentsexcelents Posts: 1,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry about that, it was just an observation on the smaller details that I tend to notice in TV shows etc. I suppose it could be looked on as a spoiler but I never meant to do that on purpose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    excelents wrote: »
    Sorry about that, it was just an observation on the smaller details that I tend to notice in TV shows etc. I suppose it could be looked on as a spoiler but I never meant to do that on purpose.

As I say, no problem it was my fault for reading the thread.

I did not realise that it had been shown online. :)
  • Options
    grilligrilli Posts: 1,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    been watching this last couple of nights on the iplayer after a friend recommended it.
    Only 4 episodes in so far but enjoying it but also finding it a bit obvious, not watched them all and not read any spoilers etc but..
    getting more than fair share of hints towards it being like The Others, as previously mentioned.
    hoping that rest of episodes make it a bit more original
  • Options
    haggy-mehaggy-me Posts: 1,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely loved this show and basically watched all 6 episodes over two days. Thought Colin Morgan was really good (and very dashing) in it, there was real chemistry between the two leads and the cinematography was simply beautiful. Definitely my favourite show of the year and my favourite BBC production since the stunning Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell mini series last year.
    I really hope we get a second series because...well...that cliffhanger!?! :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never seen The Others so that goes right over my head!
  • Options
    kat180kat180 Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So great to see Colin Morgan once again - he is amazing in this (in all things), but particularly in the last episode.

I watched this over a couple of days and LOVED it. You think you know whats going on but in the end it's not quite as you thought. Brilliant atmosphere to the whole production and a very real, natural relationship between the two leads as well.

They had better be making a second series with that cliffhanger!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just watched the final episode and thought it was great. Colin Morgan excelled himself in this. The final scene was so unexpected!