extant

Comments

• MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed this. Very good show. Amazon could probably make more money from it flogging it to a US and international networks than it will from Prime sign ups. My only criticism is that Halle's character was given way too much freedom to carry on with her ordinary life, even though everyone knew something very weird had gone on up there. As her doc said, she should have clearly been in quarantine.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why do people blame Spielberg for the little android boy?

He is just one of the executive producers. He did not create the series, he did not write the pilot.
  • tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    Matt D wrote: »
    He is just one of the executive producers. He did not create the series, he did not write the pilot.

What is the exact role of an executive producer? Do they just provide/organise the facilities/money etc. for the film/series to get made and have no or very little input on the creative side?
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    really enjoyed this.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot about it when it was on on Thursday so watched it last night.
    Thought it was okay and will definitely give it a chance.
    Conspiracy and psychotic androids. Hope they don't blow it.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not too bad an episode but it is too much like a cross between AI and The Astronaut's Wife.

A bit too slow giving us info on what is going on for my liking. Don't want to find out in the last episode that it is something we've seen before.

I'm wondering if the mix of robots (AI), beings in space and the idea of extinction have a connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    What is the exact role of an executive producer? Do they just provide/organise the facilities/money etc. for the film/series to get made and have no or very little input on the creative side?

It varies.

The showrunner(s) will be an Executive Producer, and senior writers often are too.

But not all Executive Producers have any creative involvement - sometimes it's just because they've put up some money or because it's their production company. It's also sometimes just a token thing, as with the Executive Producer credits for the Coen Brothers for the Fargo TV series.

Extant is made by Spielberg's Amblin, but that does not necessarily mean that he has *any* creative involvement with it. And he's certainly not the showrunner or a writer.

In fact, looking at IMDB it seems that Mickey Fisher (the creator) wrote every episode, with co-writers (not Spielberg) on a few of them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched the latest.

Obvious prediction: Molly's behaviour and her distance from her husband will push him into the arms of his co-worker Julie, who already seems to me to have a thing for him ans be jealous of Molly.

Still liking it, but I hope we get some answers soon and aren't strung along all season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, and an observation -

I never really noticed when she was in 24, but Annie Wersching has damn fine boobs ;)
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Promising first show with usual anti-robot lobby,

Read a great letter in one of broadsheet newspapers recently (lost reerence so not exact quote but gives you the gist.

"Why make robots like behave like man - why not make them intelligent instead!"
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obvious prediction: Molly's behaviour and her distance from her husband will push him into the arms of his co-worker Julie, who already seems to me to have a thing for him ans be jealous of Molly.
    I suspect he's already been there - whilst she was in space
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the latest.

Counter prediction :)
    There will come a time when creepy robot-child has to be switched off. At that time lab-girl will "abduct" him / it. She apparently has formed a maternal connection and is jealous of Molly's return and loss of that position. Just like some lab assistants form an emotional bond with their experimental animals.

Question: if Molly has a medical tether, how come that hasn't picked up any hormonal changes?

After 2 episodes, it's still not clear what the story is about.
  • jonparadisejonparadise Posts: 6,057
    Forum Member
    Just watched the latest.

I took that scene as Julie was actually a bit jealous of Molly taking the kid away, rather than the husband, but I could be wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good points about Julie and the kid.
  • Matt35Matt35 Posts: 30,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tried this on my pc to see what pq is like. Hd was turned on and pq was same as the one on my tv then I turned hd off there was barely any difference. Still has that liquid effect on background and their faces. Not has much in hd. Enjoying the show though.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Matt35 wrote: »
    Tried this on my pc to see what pq is like. Hd was turned on and pq was same as the one on my tv then I turned hd off there was barely any difference. Still has that liquid effect on background and their faces. Not has much in hd. Enjoying the show though.

I watch it through my Xbox One and the picture quality is fantastic
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched the first two episodes and it's OK without being mind-blowing. Even if he wasn't directly involved, a lot of it is Speilberg-by-numbers. I liked a look of a lot of the future tech.

At least it's better than Under the Dome.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Watched first three episodes back to back - enjoyed it a lot and will see the whole series but it's very cliched, it feels like loads of sci fi staples bolted together. You've got aliens with the pregnancy, 2001 space odyssey's Hal now called Ben, AI's little kid, the conspiracy style of the x files....there's probably more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    dosanjh1 wrote: »
    Watched first three episodes back to back - enjoyed it a lot and will see the whole series but it's very cliched, it feels like loads of sci fi staples bolted together. You've got aliens with the pregnancy, 2001 space odyssey's Hal now called Ben, AI's little kid, the conspiracy style of the x files....there's probably more.

The Pregnancy is more like 'The Astronaught's Wife' than Aliens.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it so S L O W

They have obviously thrown lots of money at it, but the plot for the first 3 episodes could easily of been in just one. There aren't any sub-plots or story arcs I can discern yet either.
  • petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    I find it so S L O W

They have obviously thrown lots of money at it, but the plot for the first 3 episodes could easily of been in just one. There aren't any sub-plots or story arcs I can discern yet either.
    Well, after 2 hours of TV, they've established three possible stories: there's one plot about what happened to wossername and the dead guy when they were in space. There's another plot about whether robot-boy will become The Terminator :o and there's the "they are already here" :confused: - whoever "they" are supposed to be.
    But I do agree:

After 3 episodes, it's still not clear what the story is about.

It does give the impression that a 30-second "earlier in Extant" intro to episode #4 could completely sum-up the story to date, with nothing left out.
  • dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    Finished ep 4 and starting to struggle now, very by the numbers tv sci fi drama, plodding / cliched script - no tension, energy, fun, frights - nothing. They've positioned it as an everyman sci fi drama but would have better as a horror.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Finished ep 4 and starting to struggle now, very by the numbers tv sci fi drama, plodding / cliched script - no tension, energy, fun, frights - nothing. They've positioned it as an everyman sci fi drama but would have better as a horror.

OMG it is sooooo boring. Hardly anything happens. It is almost worse than Helix which Hiroyuki Sanada is also in.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

feel the same it started so well If it doesn't pickup next week think will just give this a miss. long mysterious stares with no real information adding into the story I think its going to be one of these series everything just gets dolloped on the plate in the series Finale
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    At least it's better than Under the Dome.

Everything's better than Under the Dome! :D

Well, except for The Last Ship ;)

petely wrote: »
    It does give the impression that a 30-second "earlier in Extant" intro to episode #4 could completely sum-up the story to date, with nothing left out.

Yup :(