Options

Why is London warmer than the rest of the uk?

mintbromintbro Posts: 6,733
Forum Member
Going by the BBC weather app at this time of year there's always a huge difference in temperature in London to the rest of the uk

Comments

• Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why is it colder out in the countryside?
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    Probably something to do with all the fumes in the London atmosphere. Big cities tend to retain heat.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Urban heat sprawl.
  • Options
    jp761jp761 Posts: 33,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inland.

And the population numbers. Body heat.

Kidding. :p But the accumulation of body heat in large cities, may have been studied somewhere who knows.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Concrete jungle absorbs heat from the sun more quickly than rural idyll.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its called urban heat . Large cities are warmer due to retention of heat , population and lighting
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    mintbro wrote: »
    Going by the BBC weather app at this time of year there's always a huge difference in temperature in London to the rest of the uk

Quite a few reasons ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_heat_island
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mixture of Urban Heat and all the hot air emanating from the House of Commons...
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the layer of smug. It retains the hot air
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    platelet wrote: »
    It's the layer of smug. It retains the hot air

It's actually called smog.

Nah, I know you're joking ;-)
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it's further south. However there does seem to be some truth in it, when my grandparents lived in London and I used to visit them from the Midlands, it always seemed to be a few degrees warmer there.
  • Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More politicians per square inch than any other part of the country. So more hot air gets generated.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Concrete jungle absorbs heat from the sun more quickly than rural idyll.

Indeed, and retains it at night.

Which is why London is indeed warmer than the rest of the country.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Because it's further south. However there does seem to be some truth in it, when my grandparents lived in London and I used to visit them from the Midlands, it always seemed to be a few degrees warmer there.

Whilst the news often ignores the fact there are (amazingly) parts of the rest of the U.K. that are even further south than London. Kent (for example) is further south but also generally colder than London due to it's coastline and lack of urban heat. 😀
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    If wer are talking annual mean temperature, Greater London is indeed the largest "warmest" part of the UK... but there are other pockets too that are essentially just as warm. The largest other 'warmest' area is around The Solent (Southampton - Portsmouth - northern Isle of Wight) but there are a few even smaller "warmest" pockets around the coast of south west England as well.

For the summer season (June - Aug), much of the south eastern third of England has average maximum temperatures just over 21 degrees C (SE of Wash-Dorset, with patches further west), so the afternoon heat is spread out much more than people might think although in July, London stands out as the heat capital of the UK!
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    density.
  • Options
    MudboxMudbox Posts: 10,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's all the black cabs; black absorbs heat.
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well its inhabitants do produce a lot of hot air. :)
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All urban areas are the same to some extent, whatever the latitude. Belfast for example....if you go out of it to the north south or east you go uphill...and within a Cpl.of miles the temperature noticably drops two degrees or so. Go west along flat ground and it only drops of about 50% of that...but does still drop off after a couple of miles. And that's a city roughly 450 miles north of London, it does occur pro rata wherever you are.
  • Options
    Fish_and_ChipsFish_and_Chips Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Flash525 wrote: »
    Probably something to do with all the fumes in the London atmosphere. Big cities tend to retain heat.
    i bet all that lovely diesel keeps it from escaping the streets and surrounding bits.
  • Options
    BodyElectricBodyElectric Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    It's not just London. Where I am in the SE is often so much more warmer/humid and less breezy than the rest of the country. As someone who is more comfortable in a cooler climate I live in the wrong place!