Options

The Young Doctors: strange eye wallpaper storyline?

The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Can someone confirm my memory isn't playing tricks on me and that in the Aussie soap The Young Doctors there was a storyline involving eye-patterned wallpaper?

Comments

• Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha - the Young Doctors, so, so bad but somehow I ended up watching every episode. Bad acting, wonky camerawork, terrible editing, and episodes that ended abruptly before you even realised it was supposed to be a cliffhanger ending.

Storylines are but a distant memory now (I must've erased the horror) but I vaguely recall one of the nurses had some shockingly patterned wallpaper which disguised the fact there was an eye behind it, staring at her.

I especially enjoyed the scene where Sister Scott fell down the lift shaft.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Young Doctors one of my guilty pleasures, would love it to be rerun, also Sons and Daughters
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also Jim Robinson with bright red curly hair.
  • Options
    inverness1967inverness1967 Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    galaxysue wrote: »
    Young Doctors one of my guilty pleasures, would love it to be rerun, also Sons and Daughters

Seconded....esp. Sons and Daughters
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haha - the Young Doctors, so, so bad but somehow I ended up watching every episode. Bad acting, wonky camerawork, terrible editing, and episodes that ended abruptly before you even realised it was supposed to be a cliffhanger ending.

Storylines are but a distant memory now (I must've erased the horror) but I vaguely recall one of the nurses had some shockingly patterned wallpaper which disguised the fact there was an eye behind it, staring at her.

I especially enjoyed the scene where Sister Scott fell down the lift shaft.

Don't recall the stroryline,

I do remember Dr Shaw being accused of being a Nazi.

I think that the editing could have been done in the UK. Though I see what you mean.

This is the end of episode 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rluu_QZzbb0

If you watch the Australian DVDs, you'll also notice that the end credits show the names of companies that sponsored the show. These were edited out when shown in the UK, (You can easily notice where the edit was made in the Operating Theater end credits)

Yes, this show does deserve a re-run.
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    Don't recall the stroryline,

I do remember Dr Shaw being accused of being a Nazi.

I think that the editing could have been done in the UK. Though I see what you mean.

This is the end of episode 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rluu_QZzbb0

If you watch the Australian DVDs, you'll also notice that the end credits show the names of companies that sponsored the show. These were edited out when shown in the UK, (You can easily notice where the edit was made in the Operating Theater end credits)

Yes, this show does deserve a re-run.

No I didn't mean that kind of editing, I meant the general way the show was put together. Long scenes where nothing was happening, then suddenly it zooms into a poorly composed reaction shot and cut straight into the credits. It used to make me laugh, a bit like 70s kung fu films.
  • Options
    CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was one of the truly strange storylines in this marvellously-daft soap. Sister Tania Livingstone moved into a new apartment with strange wallpaper and an eye on the end wall. Sister Jeffries was having premonitions, and kept dreaming about the eye on the end wall, which (if my memory serves me correctly) had a secret room behind and a deaf-mute girl living in the secret room!
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Half 3 weekday afternoons here in the Uk.

Sister Scott, as played by Corneila Frances, who also appeared at some point in Sons & Daughters & later still in Home & Away as well!
  • Options
    Ben_Fisher1Ben_Fisher1 Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't this shown on ITV everyday during the late 80s/ early 90s? My nan used to be addicted to it. When we went round to see her and this was on we had to sit quietly through it ugh. Alan Dale was in it, and I remember saying 'It's Jim Robinson':p
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Westy2 wrote: »
    Half 3 weekday afternoons here in the Uk.

Sister Scott, as played by Corneila Frances, who also appeared at some point in Sons & Daughters & later still in Home & Away as well!

Didn't she also present the Australian version of the Weakest Link as well? I think she did quite a good Anne Robinson-type impersonation.
  • Options
    Sweaty Job RotSweaty Job Rot Posts: 2,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Also Jim Robinson with bright red curly hair.

Krusty the clown, 😃
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    This was one of the truly strange storylines in this marvellously-daft soap. Sister Tania Livingstone moved into a new apartment with strange wallpaper and an eye on the end wall. Sister Jeffries was having premonitions, and kept dreaming about the eye on the end wall, which (if my memory serves me correctly) had a secret room behind and a deaf-mute girl living in the secret room!

I only vaguely remember the show but that plot sounds amazing. Maybe they should do somethong similar in Corrie. Couldn't be any dafter than the reason for deidre missing traceys wedding
  • Options
    CampcrusaderCampcrusader Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    I only vaguely remember the show but that plot sounds amazing. Maybe they should do somethong similar in Corrie. Couldn't be any dafter than the reason for deidre missing traceys wedding

Agreed! Patrea Smallacombe, one of the storyline writers on TYD, who also worked on many other Aussie shows (including Prisoner Cell Block H, Neighbours and A Country Practice), has since worked in the UK on Corrie, Emmerdale, EastEnders, Family Affairs, The Bill, Brookside, Peak Practice, Hollyoaks and now Casualty!