Options

Is Lois the replacement for Martha?

CentCent Posts: 26,301
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Something has been bothering me since Torchwood came back.

Last year there was an article in The Sun that said Freema Agyeman had left Russell T Davies in the lurch by pulling out of S3 of Torchwood at the last minute and going to Law and Order instead. It wasn't denied by the BBC. It said Russell was frantically re-casting and re-writing.

So over the past few nights I have been trying to work out how Martha would have played in the story.

Anyone else think Lois was slotted in as a direct replacement?

All they would have to do is take out the small bit where they explained Martha moving to a new job in the government and introduce Jack's line about Martha Jones being on holiday.

Both Jack and Gwen ending up speaking to Lois on the phone seemed a bit convenient for me and it would have made much more sense had they been phoning Martha?

Martha wouldn't have had to look up who Torchwood were, so maybe the whole 'password' thing on the computer was just a quick technique of bringing that character up to speed without investing time in the show they didn't have for her to find out about them.

Hard to know I guess. Anyone have any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That sounds quite plausible, certainly.
  • Options
    dashyork42dashyork42 Posts: 1,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly what I said to my family Cent. It does look that way doesn't it.
  • Options
    JAS84JAS84 Posts: 7,430
    Forum Member
    I already mentioned that here: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1067423 It's even on Wikipedia and the Tardis Wikia.
  • Options
    stcoopstcoop Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RTD has already confirmed that Lois was created to replace Matha's part in the story. Though obviously it wouldn't have been an exact match. She'd have been there as a UNIT representative and wouldn't have been involved in the first couple of episodes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    I do think that Lois actually fits in better than Martha would've, especially as it's on BBC 1 so new viewers would probably identify with her more as she learns about Torchwood as a new character. Also the Government would already know Martha's links to Torchwood and UNIT would have had to have been aware of it before hand if they could sneak her into the civil service anyway. Whose to say they would've trusted UNIT in the first place?

Also like RTD said Lois is out of her depth and she has no experience of this kinds thing before so there would be more viewer empathy.