Would I Lie To You? (Series 8) - Fridays, 8:30pm, BBC1

Comments

• owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    Is it my imagination, or did they used to get more into the show ? Don't get me wrong, I still really enjoy the show, but the "stories" seem to go on longer so fewer of the guests get a chance. I would love to see the programme extended to 40/50 minutes, or even an hour.

It feels that way to me too (that the programme seems shorter). I'm thinking that the rapport between David and Lee has developed to the extent that their exchanges are the highlight for me but it wouldn't work for me if it was only the two of them.

It needs the other panellists and often they don't get a chance but their genuine laughter and enjoyment makes me laugh and they all spur each other on.

For instance my heart sank when I saw that Heston was on tonight. When was he ever funny? and I just knew that his sit-up story was the truth. It was as boring as he is. I don't recall that he asked any relevant questions and he added nothing.

The same could be said of Amelia in that she didn't get a chance to truth/lie but she was laughing a lot and asking good questions. She added to the fun.

I'd love this to be an hour long show but not at the expense of the many laughs it gives me.

I remember seeing Amanda Hart helpless and literally almost collapsing crying with laughter on one show. I'd watched a couple of programmes in her first series and thought ''not for me'' but helpless laughter always sets me off, as it did the two teams. Still don't know if I'll watch her series but I'll watch her as a guest of others.

I love this programme so much I could watch it all night but let us be careful what we wish for. The quality is as good as it gets.

Sorry for ramble:blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    owllover wrote: »
    The same could be said of Amelia in that she didn't get a chance to truth/lie but she was laughing a lot and asking good questions. She added to the fun.
    Emilia
    I remember seeing Amanda Hart helpless and literally almost collapsing crying with laughter on one show
    Miranda Hart
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It feels that way to me too (that the programme seems shorter). I'm thinking that the rapport between David and Lee has developed to the extent that their exchanges are the highlight for me but it wouldn't work for me if it was only the two of them.

It needs the other panellists and often they don't get a chance but their genuine laughter and enjoyment makes me laugh and they all spur each other on.

For instance my heart sank when I saw that Heston was on tonight. When was he ever funny? and I just knew that his sit-up story was the truth. It was as boring as he is. I don't recall that he asked any relevant questions and he added nothing.

I'd love this to be an hour long show but not at the expense of the many laughs it gives me.

I remember seeing Amanda Hart helpless and literally almost collapsing crying with laughter on one show. I'd watched a couple of programmes in her first series and thought ''not for me'' but helpless laughter always sets me off, as it did the two teams. Still don't know if I'll watch her series but I'll watch her as a guest of others.

I love this programme so much I could watch it all night but let us be careful what we wish for. The quality is as good as it gets.

Sorry for ramble:blush:

Yes, I appreciate what you're getting at. Laughter is infectious, and I've rarely seen a panel show where all the particpants enjoy themselves so much. Heston was a strange choice as you say, he can be interesting but I've never regarded him as witty or humorous. I would have liked to have seen a bit more of the lovely Emilia though.
    As I said, I'm not really complaining. It's one of those rare (for me anyway) shows where I can happily sit down and watch old repeats and enjoy them almost as much as the first time. Same as you, I could sit through a marathon session and love every minute, providing the quality remains the same. :)
    Forum Member
    surfking wrote: »
    Emilia

Miranda Hart

Errmm?
  • Sammy2Sammy2 Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard for Lee Mack and David Mitchell to come up with original truths/lies when they are on every week

Some of their truths/lies are really weak and the answer could be 'true' or 'false' and the reality be no different

Good show overall though, just the Lee and David truths/lies are getting a bit weak for me
  • TCD1975TCD1975 Posts: 3,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfking wrote: »
    Did Emilia Fox even get a turn in any game tonight?

Nope, but it's not unusual for one of the sections to get cut if it's not particularly funny ... or it might make it into the unseen bits in the final episode of the series.
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this weeks episode on iPlayer. I was laughing most of the way through it. And when it came to Kevin the bun seller I nearly coughed my beer up.
    David is very funny but Lee is so quick witted.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE this programme. I love the banter between LM and DM. I watched something else last night with the idea of savouring it on On Demand but it isn't listed. I didn't think of IPLayer so I can still treat myself :)
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    Back on top form tonight !

I thought it was great from start to finish...........Miles and the cat, Ed and the pie, David bowling and elephant bothering.........

David was the star tonight !

He wsn't actually. Lee was King again with his super fast ad libs. He deserves bunus.

But it was a very good episode overall. With Michael's different levels of fun piece at he bowling ally a highlight.
  • Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neelia wrote: »
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE this programme. I love the banter between LM and DM. I watched something else last night with the idea of savouring it on On Demand but it isn't listed. I didn't think of IPLayer so I can still treat myself :)

It's the best comedy programme on TV without a doubt. I love David Mitchell but Lee Mack is a comic genius......

Miles.....'We're not talking about big numbers here'.

Lee.....'Or whatever her nickname is, I don't care'.

Superb!!!!
  • Fiddly_FeltzFiddly_Feltz Posts: 645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the best comedy programme on TV without a doubt. I love David Mitchell but Lee Mack is a comic genius......

Miles.....'We're not talking about big numbers here'.

Lee.....'Or whatever her nickname is, I don't care'.

Superb!!!!

Sincere apologies for quoting myself but I've got this on again at the moment and the 'big numbers' gag by Lee is the funniest moment of the series so far. In my opinion of course.
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    I missed this. Sky removed it from my planner. >:(
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    KennyT wrote: »
    "The only other person with me every time was Kevin the bun seller" :D

brilliant!

K
    I was falling asleep during watching it but did wake myself up laughing at that.
    I'll watch it again midweek.

To the people who say why was such and such on the show, you can just invite comedians. That would get boring. The same as David and Lee's lies are sometimes so fantastical that they have to be lies, because there's only so much they can have be true before they start to run out of decent ideas.

There are plenty of people on the show who you wouldn't consider being funny. It's just upto them to provide a good story.
  • neelianeelia Posts: 24,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saigo wrote: »
    I missed this. Sky removed it from my planner. >:(

Get it on Iplayer :)
  • JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does Friday's show get repeated on tv.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jefferson wrote: »
    Does Friday's show get repeated on tv.

I can't see it anywhere, I'm afraid.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    KennyT wrote: »
    Would a David Mitchell "rant" be funnier if it had the occasional swear word in it?

K

No, WILTY is fine being pre watershed
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "My friend, Kevin the Bun seller."

Brilliant. :D

Favourite comedy programme on at the moment. It's just terrific fun and you can see they're having a ball. And I was certain Lee's Teabag Darts story was true. Immediately thought, yep, he does that. :)
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing that is a bit strange is when Rob says 'they don't know what's on the card'......

Unless they have spies looking into Lee's kitchen how would they know that he chucks tea bags like darts ?

He must have told them......

Therefore he must have an idea of what will turn up on the card !
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One thing that is a bit strange is when Rob says 'they don't know what's on the card'......

Unless they have spies looking into Lee's kitchen how would they know that he chucks tea bags like darts ?

I imagine the participants have given permission for researchers to talk to their family and friends in order to get these stories.
  • JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
    Forum Member

My take is Lee and David give the producers a few true stories before each series that they think are funny and may be worth using. Then the producers choose the best ones and put them on the cards whenever they fancy, along with the lies of course.

So they have an idea what stories are coming, but don't know exactly when.
  • reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    I imagine the participants have given permission for researchers to talk to their family and friends in order to get these stories.

They obviously tell the makers at the beginning of the series and guests when they are booked.
    Forum Member

i was thinking about that aspect too after Friday's brilliantly funny story from David and Lee's equally funny questioning.

But it doesn't matter to me. It clearly wasn't scripted and they both led us, the audience
    down such a funny path.

I just love Mitchell's deadpan delivery and Lee's approach to questioning and vice versa.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The one I keep watching again and again, is Kevin Bridge's "me and my pal once bought a horse" tale.
  • LordBobbinLordBobbin Posts: 359
    Forum Member
    The one I keep watching again and again, is Kevin Bridge's "me and my pal once bought a horse" tale.

That one's so brilliant. I must have watched the Youtube clip about 15 times!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkpyd2lr4dI