Wii. Have I screwed up?

Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
Forum Member
Bought a Wii several years ago, have a heap of games for it and always enjoyed it.

Last year the disk drive packed up and I ended up binning it (although I kept the Wiimotes, PSU, light bar etc with a view to purchasing a replacement console at some point).

Just got around to purchasing a replacement Wii console and I was browsing the internet and have discovered that Nintendo seem to have pulled the plug on a lot of their Wii support in June this year.

So, have I screwed up by buying a replacement Wii now?

I assume that any games will have required updates on the disk even if the system updates are no longer available off the internet etc.
I realise that a couple of the Wii channels have gone offline but I never really used them much.

Is there any lack of functionality I'm likely to notice as a result of Nintendo withdrawing support for the Wii?
Will I still be able to connect to the interweb to play multiplayer mario kart, for example?

In hindsight, I suppose I might have bought a shiny new Wii U and used it to play my existing games but £25 for a Wii with a 12 month warranty seemed like a good deal compared to £180-odd for a new Wii U since it's really only used for social/casual gaming.

Comments

• frostfrost Posts: 4,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

So, have I screwed up by buying a replacement Wii now?

Nah.

but like you said, probably should have just bought a Wii U (I assume there is backwards compatitbility for Wii games on it, if there is, then yes. If there isnt, then you did fine).
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Replacement Wii arrived yesterday so I didn't have chance to get too worried about it all.

Gave it a try last night and it seems fine.
    The news and weather channel don't work any more but that's not really a big deal.
    The Nintendo store channel is still there to buy and download old gamecube games if I want to and it even updated the firmware after I connected it to my router so I guess that service is still live too, even if WiiConnect24 service has closed down.

Only thing I haven't been able to check yet is internet connectivity cos I seem to have misplaced my Mario Kart disc but I'll check that as soon as I find it.

Anyway, from what I've seen so far it doesn't seem like it's totally obsolete. :)