Options

Official TVonics thread

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Hi, Firstly let me say that i had similar flashing lights issues on my unit and I thought it was the hard drive. However I swapped my power supply from my HD25o and it ran OK.

Now can anyone tell me where I can get the last software upgrade for the HD250?

Also is there a good relacement remote anywhere?
  • Options
    MartinOnlineMartinOnline Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Paul_Grocott

If you have tried "resting" your power supply (disconnect from the mains for 24 hours) and the problem still exists then, unfortunately, the symptoms would indicate the "Stuck in Starting" problem which cannot be fixed.

Pulse-Eight declared the problem to come from a 'Segmentation Fault' which occurs when the software tries to access a memory location that does not exist.

As far as I know, no-one has a solution for this fault.

Martin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bob1942

Do you have any channels in the 800s?

Martin
  • Options
    Bob1942Bob1942 Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob1942

Martin

I do but seemed to have cleared the problem by resetting
  • Options
    Forum Member
    secretdolphin

Pulse-Eight sell TVonics remote controls - https://www.pulse-eight.com/c/53/remote-controls. Certainly the RM-100 and the RM-200. The RM-100 is for the HD500 and Z500HD. Don't know about the other remote.

I have an HD500 so don't know the latest software for the HV250. The Reference Site became http://soapdrama.co.uk/download/ after TVonkcs closed. Sue-Aitch will know as she has an HV250.

Martin
  • Options
    Bob1942Bob1942 Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bob1942

Martin

I know of the inter channel problem,wont record but programme is still listed in the timer my problem was programmes listed disappeared hours or days before record time,as I said solved that one but today new problem.
    The guide list has changed today all by itself.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bob1942

Glad you solved your original problem. Resetting is always a good initial action, if you can get to the menu.

If you have 'Update Channels' set in Menu > General Settings then the guide contents will change when channels are added/deleted/modified. Regularly I hide the rubbish channels; and there seems to be an increasing number of those!

Martin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    One of my two Z500HDs had the "format hard drive problem". Swapping the PSU didn't resolve the problem so I purchased a replacement Z500HD on eBay. The 'new' unit works fine in all respects. I want to keep the programmes recorded on the unit that died so I've fitted that hard drive into the new unit. Everything works fine, including recording and playback of programmes recorded since the 'transplant'. Unfortunately, although the recordings made previously (on the unit that died) are listed in the library they won't play. The TV screen just goes blank. Can anyone please suggest why this is and how to fix it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For High Definition media the industry mandated the use of encryption so that films, TV programmes etc. could not be copied at HD specifications. As far as I know TVonics have encryption that links a Hard Drive to the PVR on which it was recorded. Thus, moving the hard drive to another PVR does not work because the decryption fails. [Note other PVRs used a different method and transplanting was possible. Humax HD-FOX2 users found a software solution, available because the Humax allowed digital back-up at standard specification to an external drive.]

When you opened the failed box did you see any signs of component failure, particularly around the power socket and the circuits behind that? I seem to remember someone posting that they found a failing power socket when they had hard drive problems.

Martin
  • Options
    Luis EssexLuis Essex Posts: 2,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HBow wrote: »
    One of my two Z500HDs had the "format hard drive problem". Swapping the PSU didn't resolve the problem so I purchased a replacement Z500HD on eBay. The 'new' unit works fine in all respects. I want to keep the programmes recorded on the unit that died so I've fitted that hard drive into the new unit. Everything works fine, including recording and playback of programmes recorded since the 'transplant'. Unfortunately, although the recordings made previously (on the unit that died) are listed in the library they won't play. The TV screen just goes blank. Can anyone please suggest why this is and how to fix it?
    It sounds exactly the same as the way the Humax freeview HD recorders use encryption for HD programmes. I.e. that the encryption is linked to a non-Hard drive component of the unit that recorded it. Thus why retaining the hard-drive for the new unit and the new unit then not being able to decrypt the old recordings.
    Unless you can identify which piece of hardware it is and if possible also transfer that to the new unit then there is no hope.

In the Humax HDR-FOX T2 there is a flaw in the design in that Humax encrypted both HD and standard definition but wanted to allow archiving of non-encrypted standard definition recordings. Instead of just not encrypting standard definition recordings in the first place the added the ability to decrypt standard definition recordings under certain circumstances. This opened up the door to users looking of a way to also persuade the Humax recorder to decrypt HD recordings,
    This in turn helped open up the door to decrypting recordings made by the PVR ready single tuner HD-FOX T2, which MartinOnline mentioned in the previous post. What was also used for the HD-FOX T2 was the cracking of the software certification to enable additional software to be loaded, plus the similarity of the HDR-FOX T2 and the HD-FOX T2 so that the HR-FOX T2 could run on the HD-FOX T2 and its decryption function be taken advantage of.

While there may be a way for the TVOnics recordings to be decrypted I suspect that that would be against DigitalSpy site rules to attempt to come up with a solution. It may not be even possible. Part of Freeeviw+ HD compliance was that manufacturers had to make it highly difficult to use the recorder to make decrypted HD recordings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HBow

Luis has given a better explanation than mine and, as far as I know no-one has reported being able to read the encrypted TVonics disks. Thus, until that time, you must work with your original box if there is any chance of recovering your recordings, at least at Standard Definition (SD) level.

You have proved your original HDD was ok, Did you put the HDD from the "new" Z500HD to see if that would work in the original box? If you did, did you allow a format?

As you obviously know, the "Format" message is usually linked to a lack of power to the HDD but the interface between the HDD and the processor may well be at fault. This requires trying some things and, probably, expense.

You could try powering the original SATA HDD in the original box from an external supply but using the data interface to the processor. The red cable is for data and the other for power. You will need a SATA power supply and an extension cable (available from Amazon). It may well be the internal power to the HDD is not good enough to run up the HDD.

If you manage to power up the original HDD in the original box then the only option is to save the recordings, in SD and in real time, to a DVD Recorder or a computer with video capture capability.

Martin
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For High Definition media the industry mandated the use of encryption so that films, TV programmes etc. could not be copied at HD specifications. As far as I know TVonics have encryption that links a Hard Drive to the PVR on which it was recorded. Thus, moving the hard drive to another PVR does not work because the decryption fails. [Note other PVRs used a different method and transplanting was possible. Humax HD-FOX2 users found a software solution, available because the Humax allowed digital back-up at standard specification to an external drive.]

When you opened the failed box did you see any signs of component failure, particularly around the power socket and the circuits behind that? I seem to remember someone posting that they found a failing power socket when they had hard drive problems.

Martin

Hello Martin

Many thanks for your prompt reply to my request for advice.

I'd learned from previous posts that archiving recordings from the TVonics box was near impossible. It is still suprising that the HDD and control board are linked by encryption, - but this explaination fits my experience and explains why my attempt to recover recordings hasn't worked.

I have examined the main board to see if any component failure is apparent, but none is evident. It doesn't look too difficult to unsolder and replace the power socket if this is likely to be the problem. Do you know the spec and whether they are readily available to purchase?

Howard
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Luis Essex wrote: »
    It sounds exactly the same as the way the Humax freeview HD recorders use encryption for HD programmes. I.e. that the encryption is linked to a non-Hard drive component of the unit that recorded it. Thus why retaining the hard-drive for the new unit and the new unit then not being able to decrypt the old recordings.
    Unless you can identify which piece of hardware it is and if possible also transfer that to the new unit then there is no hope.

In the Humax HDR-FOX T2 there is a flaw in the design in that Humax encrypted both HD and standard definition but wanted to allow archiving of non-encrypted standard definition recordings. Instead of just not encrypting standard definition recordings in the first place the added the ability to decrypt standard definition recordings under certain circumstances. This opened up the door to users looking of a way to also persuade the Humax recorder to decrypt HD recordings,
    This in turn helped open up the door to decrypting recordings made by the PVR ready single tuner HD-FOX T2, which MartinOnline mentioned in the previous post. What was also used for the HD-FOX T2 was the cracking of the software certification to enable additional software to be loaded, plus the similarity of the HDR-FOX T2 and the HD-FOX T2 so that the HR-FOX T2 could run on the HD-FOX T2 and its decryption function be taken advantage of.

While there may be a way for the TVOnics recordings to be decrypted I suspect that that would be against DigitalSpy site rules to attempt to come up with a solution. It may not be even possible. Part of Freeeviw+ HD compliance was that manufacturers had to make it highly difficult to use the recorder to make decrypted HD recordings.

Hello Luis

Thank you for your technical explanation of the way PVR encryption works. If I'd known that before I would have avoided making a naive mistake in expecting a simple HDD swop to work. I'd still have purchased a replacement Z500HD though because it is such a good unit. Fortunately the recordings I have 'lost' are not of any special value although I'm still trying to recover them.

To this end I have tried substituting the minor boards from the 'dead' unit in the hope that the encryption if imbedded in one of these, rather than the main board. Unlikely I know and this has proved to be the case. There are three ancillary boards, - one on the front panel that holds the status leds and USB socket, one that holds the aerial input plug and one that holds the scart socket. I swopped each in turn but the unit still works exactly as before as described in my first post. I conclude that the component which encrypts the HDD is on the main board. Unless I can repair this the HDD recordings made when associated with this board will not play back. Martin has passed on the comment made in another post that the power socket may be the problem. I'll try and find this post and see if it's worth trying to replace the power input socket.

Howard
  • Options
    Forum Member
    HBow

Luis has given a better explanation than mine and, as far as I know no-one has reported being able to read the encrypted TVonics disks. Thus, until that time, you must work with your original box if there is any chance of recovering your recordings, at least at Standard Definition (SD) level.

You have proved your original HDD was ok, Did you put the HDD from the "new" Z500HD to see if that would work in the original box? If you did, did you allow a format?

As you obviously know, the "Format" message is usually linked to a lack of power to the HDD but the interface between the HDD and the processor may well be at fault. This requires trying some things and, probably, expense.

You could try powering the original SATA HDD in the original box from an external supply but using the data interface to the processor. The red cable is for data and the other for power. You will need a SATA power supply and an extension cable (available from Amazon). It may well be the internal power to the HDD is not good enough to run up the HDD.

If you manage to power up the original HDD in the original box then the only option is to save the recordings, in SD and in real time, to a DVD Recorder or a computer with video capture capability.

Martin

Hello Martin

Thank you for your further comments and suggestions.

I have tried putting the 'new' HDD into the 'old' unit. Same result, still get the 'format hard drive' message. I haven't tried to format the new HDD. My wife put a veto this as we now have some new recordings on the new HDD that she hasn't watched yet. Having recently had to purchase a new TVonics unit she views my attempts to 'meddle' with it with considerable unease.

Your suggestion to power up the HDD with a seperate SATA power supply is probably beyond my technical competence. In you previous post you mentioned a comment that that the power input socket may be defective as this can also stop the HDD working properly. It doesn't look too difficult to unsolder and replace. I'll try to locate the post that you refer to and see if someone has actually made this repair with success.

Howard
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hi folks

I bought my mum an HV250 a couple of years ago, from Richer Sounds and in the main, she's been over the moon with it. Its main role is for recording stuff when she goes away.

Unfortunately, she got bit carried away with it and set all her favourite shows up to record every episode, including some soaps. Of course, it didn't take long for the disk to fill up. The problem is, I don't think she realised this until some time after it had stopped recording and subsequently the disk is now so full that it has become unreadable, so she can't even delete stuff. She's already accepted that everything is lost but it won't allow me to reformat the disk and a system reset does nothing to the recorded media, so I'm stuck.

My last gasp will be to remove the disk and plug it into a PC, to try and create some space but I'm worried that even that may cause problems with the media file directory, if there is one.

Does anyone have any bright ideas?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The HV250 uses the Ext2 file system which is not readable by a Windows PC without an application, for example Ext2FSD. Windows will say that the device is unformatted.

If you have access to a computer running the Linux operating system then you could try to access the disk. Recordings are not encrypted, as is the case for the later High Definition Recorders, but you will probably need a program like VLC to read them, The file structure was described by a contributor on the Pulse-Eight TVonics Forum (now closed)..

The Hard Drives of the later TVonics HD Recorders require a high current on start up, I don't know about the HV250, so you must be careful choosing a powered SATA to USB connector if you intend to use one - the P8 contributor said that 2A was a minimum. Fitting it directly into a desktop computer will usually provide enough power.

Finally, can you see the library or is the HV250 reporting that the disk is unformatted (which indicates a different fault) ?

Martin
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having read about another swathe of devices no longer being supported by IPlayer just reconnected my Z500HD to the Internet to confirm what I suspected. Iplayer support ends in September 2016. Not a great loss as I have other sources
    Nevertheless my Z500HD is still a great workhorse PVR which I use on a daily basis. I find menu navigation preferable to the Humax HDR-2000T.
  • Options
    pjayem1964pjayem1964 Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    First of all sorry to revamp an old post,

I bought a TVonics HD box back in late 2012.

It's a great box and is still in regular use but the HDMI port doesn't work. It does however receive the HD channels through the scart lead.
    Thought that wasn't right.

Am I correct in believing Pulse Eight pulled the plug re support.

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjayem1964 wrote: »

It's a great box and is still in regular use but the HDMI port doesn't work. It does however receive the HD channels through the scart lead.

Yes, support has ended.

I assume that you mean that although you can see no output from the box on the TV when the HDMI input is being used, you can see output through the scart socket.
    Has the HDMI connection ever worked for you?
    If not there is a possibility that the box is outputting a resolution that your TV cannot cope with - you don't mention the TV type. As you can see the menus thanks to the scart socket look at the HDMI output setting and try changing that. If your TV set is only "HD ready" it may not cope with say 1080p.
  • Options
    DougDoug Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    cp2 wrote: »
    pjayem1964 wrote: »

Yes, support has ended.

I assume that you mean that although you can see no output from the box on the TV when the HDMI input is being used, you can see output through the scart socket.
    Has the HDMI connection ever worked for you?
    If not there is a possibility that the box is outputting a resolution that your TV cannot cope with - you don't mention the TV type. As you can see the menus thanks to the scart socket look at the HDMI output setting and try changing that. If your TV set is only "HD ready" it may not cope with say 1080p.

As an ex-TVonics engineer I agree with the above, most likely the TV can't handle the resolution. As the SCART works try setting HDMI output resolution to 720p as that should be widely supported by most TVs. If I recall there is an auto option that should pick the best fit based on what your TV supports but not every TV gives the right information to do this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did think of one other obvious point -forgive me for suggesting this. My box has three HDMI sockets - two input (pass through connectors) and one hdmi output. Make sure you're using the right one!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that my Z500HD box may be in its death throes. Perhaps it is only coincidental that it happened shortly after a did a full retune.
    I noticed that all the timers had vanished but I put a couple in again. After I placed it in standby long enough for an extended restart to be necessary (red+green lights briefly rather than straight to green) upon restart there was once again no timers. Furthermore the box did not reboot to the last viewed channel but to Channel 92, Quest+1, the first channel i switched to after my automatic retune before I noticed the timer issue.
    I have retuned with the aerial removed and then a complete retune, and then a limited manual retune. Still the box restarts to a Channel 92 splash screen despite me not retuning the mux that it is on - memory buffer?
    I'm leaving it disconnected from the mains overnight but I fear that something has failed.
    Assuming that leaving it unpowered doesn't correct the situation is there anything else that I could try?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CP2,

This may be telling you to sucks eggs but have you tried "Reset Set Top Box" in the Service Menu?

After that there is the extreme option of reloading the latest software, if you have it.

Martin

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CP2,

This may be telling you to sucks eggs but have you tried "Reset Set Top Box" in the Service Menu?

After that there is the extreme option of reloading the latest software, if you have it.

Martin

I must admit that I hadn't yet considered the "nuclear" option. Mind you I didn't know where to look for it either.
    I've done it: nice that the recordings are not wiped and I've re-established the display and output settings easily enough.
    I pulled the mains plug and the timers survived this so I'm feeling a tad more optimistic that this has sorted it out, though I'll feel more confident if it comes out after an extended standby with the timers intact.
    Thanks for the advice and (hopefully) the solution.
    I still rate this as a good workhorse PVR with a straightforward menu system. I would be sad to lose it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glad to hear things are looking up.

My HD500 is still working hard (since March 2012) with a few "format hard drive problem" issues - resolved by power-cycling. This happens during the summer months when the room that houses the unit is hotter.

It is a pity that TVonics went out of business because they had excellent products. But, with the rise of fast broadband and various iPlayers, I thi nk the future for standalone recorders is limited - commercial broadcasters don't want us to skip their adverts!

Though I have backed-up my library to DVD the ability to just switch on and play a Red Dwarf episode from years ago is still attractive.

Martin