Music's golden and not so golden eras

1235»

Comments

• mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, the singles chart has always traditionally been used to publicise new albums by an artist, but I wouldn't say the singles chart has ever been "cutting edge" in that respect, Punk being the classic example. The initial Punk explosion was over before Punk truly arrived in the singles chart.

some singles have been cutting edge... but not the chart itself, and you are right suggesting that by the time some new genres got nationwide recognition, the initial spark had moved on... this was certainly the case with the new romantics, by the time the country got into that sceen, the blitz kids had stopped!

however, it is a way in... ive lived in and around derby all my life, so when i heard a new sound and i liked it, i explored it, reading, searching out, gathering info on more of that sound. so i might have missed out on the london or manchester (or mersey...lol) original birth of a new genre, but i still got into it whether the originators are still going or not... and i guess most others who like me, didnt live where it was happening did the same... i just dont think that detracts though from the movement. it was just logistics that prevented the bulk of the country 'being there'.