Fern Britton - hardly recognised her!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just seen this picture of Fern Britton:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1338411/Strictly-Come-Dancing-Fern-Britton-reveals-slimmer-figure-Christmas-special.html

She looks amazing. Don't care much for her costume though

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It had helped her lose five stone and drop from a size 16 to a 12.

A classic example of those baffling celebrity clothes sizes. Five stone is not the difference between a size 16 and a 12, and she was not a size 16 when she started. I would judge that she has dropped from a size 20 to a 12/14.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, at least she got her money's worth out of that gastric band!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some nasty comments about her on the DM site though. 'Mutton dressed as lamb' and 'saggy skin' - I think she looks great for a woman in her fifties.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some nasty comments about her on the DM site though. 'Mutton dressed as lamb' and 'saggy skin' - I think she looks great for a woman in her fifties.

So do I - and I don't understand all the comments like "I had to lose my weight the hard way" big frigging deal - who cares how someone loses weight, its not a competition!
  • LisaB599LisaB599 Posts: 2,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i know this isnt going to be a popular opinion but i dont think she was a size 16 to start with more like a 20 but being a tv star she cant admit to having been that big (same as Feltz who maintains she was a 16 - yeah right)...:rolleyes: Its healthier for her to be slimmer but i actually preferred her fatter she seemed to have more empathy and be "happier" in a way, since she lost all the weight she comes across a little sharp and bitter and like the "happy" is very forced.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's quite annoying these days, but clearly she looks good for 53. OK, she 'cheated' a bit along the way, but that really isn't anybody's business anymore.
  • CaminoCamino Posts: 13,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    she looks amazing, and a lovely person she lives round my way and my sister bumped into her one day at a the local coffee shop she chatted away and was really interested in my sister's baby daughter and not at all me, me, me good for you Fern!
  • girlfrommarsgirlfrommars Posts: 2,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I had the money and courage. I am about the size that Fern was before she had her Band fitted she looks great and I am still fat and unhappy. :)
  • MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    She does look brilliant. And she now has the confidence to go out and dance in a skimpy costume, whereas before she used to cover herself up in smock dresses. Good on her :)
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Well, at least she got her money's worth out of that gastric band!!

I know. Although the cost of replacing the fat clothes won't be cheap. :D

Ama-a-zing as Craig would say.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish I had the money and courage. I am about the size that Fern was before she had her Band fitted she looks great and I am still fat and unhappy. :)

Aww, me too. Though I am starting to lose weight. Though I wish she wouldn't have misled people about her band, I don't think it matters how she did it. Personally I wouldn't like to go down that route hence I'm trying to do it the old fashioned way, exercise and watching what I'm eating .
  • slappers r usslappers r us Posts: 56,131
    Forum Member
    She does look brilliant. And she now has the confidence to go out and dance in a skimpy costume, whereas before she used to cover herself up in smock dresses. Good on her :)
    Fern has never been without confidence
  • MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    Fern has never been without confidence

True, but I doubt she would have been comfortable doing strictly when she was a size 20.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any likeability Fern had went out of the window when she made her very spiteful "I can fit in a bikini now" speech after she was forced to admit to getting a gastric band.

I don't care what means people use to lose weight but I do think they should be honest about it. And Fern was marketing Riveta at the time so it was really bad that she lied and instead of being gracious about being found out, behaved in such a sneery way to the people she was supposed to be inspiring.

I've disliked her since then. Oh, and also when the papers were publishing bits of her autobiography...from the snippets I read, she came across as a bitter and unhappy woman and generally the total opposite of the "funny fat friend" stereotype she's made a living off for years.

She leaves me cold. Sorry.
  • ClairebeeClairebee Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A classic example of those baffling celebrity clothes sizes. Five stone is not the difference between a size 16 and a 12, and she was not a size 16 when she started. I would judge that she has dropped from a size 20 to a 12/14.

So true, I thought there is no way she was a size 16 to start with.:eek:

When i lose weight every stone I lose I drop a dress size.

I would say Fern at her biggest was a 24/22.

I'm trying to convince hubby that £5000 is worth it :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clairebee wrote: »
    So true, I thought there is no way she was a size 16 to start with.:eek:

When i lose weight every stone I lose I drop a dress size.

I would say Fern at her biggest was a 24/22.

I'm trying to convince hubby that £5000 is worth it :D

Fern was bigger than me when I was at my very largest and I was a size 20 at one point (which I sadly am again due to having a very bad year :( ), so she was not even that. I'd go with her having been around a size 24.

Why do these silly celebs lie about their dress sizes? The only people they are fooling is themselves.
  • j4Rosej4Rose Posts: 5,482
    Forum Member
    Sloopy wrote: »
    She's quite annoying these days, but clearly she looks good for 53. OK, she 'cheated' a bit along the way, but that really isn't anybody's business anymore.

The "cheating" bit is only relevant because she was flogging Ryvita and promoting a healthy lifestyle at the same time. However, it's a personal choice if someone wants to get a band fitted. I do think she looks great.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily Rose wrote: »
    Any likeability Fern had went out of the window when she made her very spiteful "I can fit in a bikini now" speech after she was forced to admit to getting a gastric band.

I don't care what means people use to lose weight but I do think they should be honest about it. And Fern was marketing Riveta at the time so it was really bad that she lied and instead of being gracious about being found out, behaved in such a sneery way to the people she was supposed to be inspiring.

I've disliked her since then. Oh, and also when the papers were publishing bits of her autobiography...from the snippets I read, she came across as a bitter and unhappy woman and generally the total opposite of the "funny fat friend" stereotype she's made a living off for years.

She leaves me cold. Sorry.

I'm with you LilyRose. I'll always remember her speech on TV (next to a red-faced Philip Schofield) when she said "we girls like to have some secrets". What she meant was, she thought she'd got away with it and if she'd never been found out, we would have all believed her (and her old man's) claims about healthy eating etc. :D:D He was probably drafting some cookery book at the time telling us all what to eat to lose weight like Fern.:rolleyes:

So, "we girls like to have some secrets" and then a few weeks later she was absolutely interrogating Kerry Catona who was clearly very unstable and ill about her alcohol problems.

I know KC is not very popular but Fern, as a "girl" and as someone who is supposed to have depression and crashed a car while over the limit, could have shown her some sympathy. That was a very painful interview and Fern was very cruel to allow it to continue as she did.

My guess is she's had further surgery on her underarms and chin, because there's no way all that amount of loose skin could just tighten up again following such a big weight loss. Especially in a woman of her age.

Remember, she's been off our screens for a long time (supposedly because she wanted to see her sons through their GCSE's :D:D) so she's had plenty of time for some more ops.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think she looks wonderful! :]
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd also agree she was easily a size 24 and is probably now a generous 14.

If you look at pics of her the summer after she had her op when she was wandering around in a white linen mini-dress she had loads of loose skin then.
  • FringoFringo Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member

Having recently lost 3 1/2 stone I went from a size 16/18 to a size 10/12....Now I'm 5 ft 3 - from 13 stone 10 to 10 stone....I'm unsure of Fern's height but isn't it possible? So if she lost 2 more stone than me surely she could have gone down to that size?

I do definitely agree she was never a size 16 when she started dieting though. 18/20 I would assume....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 423
    Forum Member
    I think she looks fab-u-lous.

However..... there is no way she was a size 16 before her op!! And frankly what plastic surgeon would give a size 16 woman and Gastric Band? Even privately?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anne Field wrote: »
    Aww, me too. Though I am starting to lose weight. Though I wish she wouldn't have misled people about her band, I don't think it matters how she did it. Personally I wouldn't like to go down that route hence I'm trying to do it the old fashioned way, exercise and watching what I'm eating .

You do know you have to do that even if you have a gastric band? It is meant to do 30% of the work for you.
  • mumbles26mumbles26 Posts: 5,765
    Forum Member
    Camino wrote: »
    she looks amazing, and a lovely person she lives round my way and my sister bumped into her one day at a the local coffee shop she chatted away and was really interested in my sister's baby daughter and not at all me, me, me good for you Fern!

I used to work in a pharmacy and Fern would often drop in with prescriptions and I don't like hearing anything about her. I've chatted with her loads of times and she is a truly lovely lady,

She was lovely looking larger and lovely looking slimmer.

Her weight has never affected her personality.
  • phasersphasers Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Size 16? On what planet?

Why lie? You've lost the weight now - surely saying you were bigger than you were would make the weight loss more impressive?