Options

Louis Theroux Transgender Children

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I still think Louis is one of the best at the whole interviewing documentary program
  • Options
    gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    striing wrote: »
    Oh come on it's hardly typical. Perhaps you mix in a very small, specific circle but it's hardly what most people experience.

This medical issue is what I'm talking about - being yourself without the medical intervention has got to be a better option, for all but the most dysmorphic.

It is very typical of transgender men who have transitioned to women. As I said before, I have personal experience, I'd rather I hadn't, but that's life.

I totally agree about not having medical intervention, I think that Cole is a gay boy and doesn't need pushing down the drugs/surgery route. He will make his own decisions as an adult, but provided he is accepted he probably ultimately won't want surgery
  • Options
    FortyTwo25FortyTwo25 Posts: 5,170
    Forum Member
    I love Louis
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Crystal definitely seems like a girl more than a boy.

But sees herself as a man when grown up. He could be just a cross dresser.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    But sees herself as a man when grown up. He could be just a cross dresser.

Yes when 'he' had his hair cut he was more boy like than before.

'He' was a tougher one to define, and should probably be given more time to experiment and discover who they are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Yeah, she's definitely a little girl
  • Options
    BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Yes when 'he' had his hair cut he was more boy like than before.

'He' was a tougher one to define, and should probably be given more time to experiment and discover who they are.

The issue is it is clear that Crystall is endlessly conflicted due to the father and his desire she is Cole. You just wonder how much free choice there is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    There have been 4 transgendered people in my Asperger's support group over the years.
    Which is probably a slightly disproportionate statistic than in other circles.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The issue is it is clear that Crystall is endlessly conflicted due to the father and his desire she is Cole. You just wonder how much free choice there is.

Yes it doesn't help that the mother and father are fighting, so perhaps 'Cole' is finding it harder to consider changing because of that.
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Camille was very girly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that the older " boy " [ who did look very masculine ] was not interested in getting his downstairs area renovated and was more than happy with his boobless chest.

He seemed well adjusted and normal[ish] , unlike the other participants who seemed to be merely giving their doting and dopey parents the complete runaround .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have never met a trans person (other than passing in the street etc). I have, however, met some very effeminate men (who look better in a dress than me - I'm female) and some very butch women (who in some cases prided themselves on being able to 'pass' as masculine to attract other women). I live in a world that allows these people to just be. Perhaps that's why I've never met anyone who has felt they have to go through medical procedures to change their lives - though I'm sure I'll be told it's an entirely different thing. Maybe I'll have to meet someone trans to get it.

There is a support group for Transgenders in the same place my Asperger's support group meets at, so there was a cross over. But I do wonder if there is a higher rater of autism amongst the transgendered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 5 year old was interesting, I feel like, a 5 year old doesn't really understand what it is to be male or female at that age, the difference between a girl and boy in their world is that one plays with dolls, wears dresses and has a girls name and the other is a boy. At the same time, it's probably better for her to have this go on at a really young age in order to either fully transform/become a girl, or maybe grow out of it and realise that it isn't what he/she wants.

Cole was also an interesting one, especially because he was saying he was going to be a man when he was older, but like someone said, that's probably because he's torn between his parents.
  • Options
    fergferg Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Logged on to see if digitalspy was opining the sexes, was not disappointed.
  • Options
    AvillerAviller Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Hopefully one day the human race will evolve to the point all this doesn't matter and people go through it like they would do changing their clothes.

Seeing as around 99% of people are not transgender I doubt that is going to happen.
  • Options
    TribecTribec Posts: 9,331
    Forum Member
    Interesting opinions on Chrystall, there is a chance that they don't really identify as as either of the binaries and will end up identifying as gender neutral later in life. Who knows?? What is clear is that there is a issue around gender with them.

That was a wonderful documentary, and it was pleasing to hear the parents had all listened to the young people and respected what they had been said. It's unfortunate that here in the UK we are way behind the US with regards helping our trans young people medically, I only wish that those in charge were watching this and will put in motion the process for the NHS to catch up quickly.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fascinating programme. I think Cole is not a transgender individual. The 5 year old I am not going to comment on but I have my doubts. The rest seemed genuine.
    Most of my experience with transgendered people, outwith passing acquaintance in a LGBT friendly pub, are those who should not have passed the psych eval to commence treatment.
  • Options
    nvellanvella Posts: 697
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't care if my children felt they needed to change gender, but if they ever become a Conservative. I'd disown them. :mad: :)

Love it!!! :D
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,259
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do find it difficult to understand how a 5 year old is so sure he is a transgender, during the document I was thinking what if when he grows up and realise that he's not. But that's probably because I have a lack of understanding of what/how it feels to be a transgender, so therefore I can't possibly pass comment or judgement. I was happy that the parents were completely supportive of their child, so they get so much respect for that.

Always find Louis Theroux documents really fascinating and insightful.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm probably going to get told off for falling into this but - what do you mean?
    Considering the content, tone and one thing everybody seemed to have in common was a worry about how they present to the world, I don't think it's a reasonable response to go through the individuals featured and rate how successful their decisions were.
  • Options
    Digital SidDigital Sid Posts: 39,870
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Fascinating programme. I think Cole is not a transgender individual. The 5 year old I am not going to comment on but I have my doubts. The rest seemed genuine.
    Most of my experience with transgendered people, outwith passing acquaintance in a LGBT friendly pub, are those who should not have passed the psych eval to commence treatment.

This. I think it was very telling that his mother continued to refer to him as a she and Crystal after Louis had told her he wanted to identify as male.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Did you read the thread?

There are posts on every page including one highlighted above yours commenting on somebody else's gender. What do you mean?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Opened with sarcasm, left with pity that balance meant only half of the posts were about who looked cute in a dress (bonus eggs-aggeration).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Ahh, San Francisco. It never disappoints.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ahh, San Francisco. It never disappoints.

:D:D:D:D