BT Sports Channel (Part 2)

Comments

• gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok thanks. ..thats why I asked.

ThE app is currently telling me ive reached my viewing limit but none of us are on it and not running in background of any device
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVery dodgy feed on the net is much less than 3 minutes behind live.

We can hope this was a one off from BT for their 'free' day?

And that in future it will be quicker.

Will give it a try now.
  • Futurama-FanFuturama-Fan Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks everyone with multi-room who checked if the channels were encrypted via sky. It seems as thought BT have got the card activation done correctly seeing as there has been no posts saying they order BT sport but don't have access to the channels.

I presume that whatever division of BT that deals with the card activation orders is on top of this, whilst the division that deals with sending out the confirmation letters/emails was a bit flawed or running a bit behind schedule - thus the number of people of the past couple of days before launch that were wondering if they get their viewing card activated in time & in HD.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVery dodgy feed on the net is much less than 3 minutes behind live.

We can hope this was a one off from BT for their 'free' day?

And that in future it will be quicker.

Will give it a try now.

Better news. Just did so and BT Sport 1 is running only 28 seconds behind at present.

That would be acceptable.

ESPN, mind you, is running over two and a half minutes late!

Could not easily check BT Sport 2 as there was nothing on featuring a ticking time clock.
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    The studio is vast, but feels empty. Are there supposed to be people sat around on those laptops ?

Are they going to have like a rolling sports news service ? I think that could work on BT Sport 2 to run when there isn't any live action. Presumably it's a resourcing issue though.

I think it needs programmes like Final Score, Soccer Saturday, Transfer Deadline Day etc before it can feel a full service.

Agree with this.....I really missed the news content. However, it's early days and maybe they'll develop this .....I hope so. Otherwise I'll keep nipping back to SSN for the news :(

Last night reminded me just a bit of when C5 covered the Paralympics last year. The first few days had some very amateurish moments, but they grew into it and within a week or two it was fab :D

I'm hoping BT Sport can pull off something similar :)
  • PaulLFCPaulLFC Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For some reason the videos section on the mobile apps doesn't seem to update even though there are new videos on the website (match interviews from yesterday, etc).
  • Lindy_LoueLindy_Loue Posts: 9,874
    Forum Member
    PaulLFC wrote: »
    For some reason the videos section on the mobile apps doesn't seem to update even though there are new videos on the website (match interviews from yesterday, etc).

Just checked ....mine's the same. Just got Michael Owen and his 'surprising commentary' :p
  • ep1987ep1987 Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watcing the Audi Cup extended highlights on BT Sport 2 and the sound lag is about 1.5s, definitely a spoiler.
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lindy_Loue wrote: »

Last night reminded me just a bit of when C5 covered the Paralympics last year. The first few days had some very amateurish moments, but they grew into it and within a week or two it was fab :D

Channel 4 covered the Paralympics, and as I recall they won an award (BAFTA maybe?) for their coverage, beating the presumed favourite BBC's Olympic coverage in the process. Their coverage of the World Athletics Championships back in 2011 was laughable at times, but they upped their game for last summer. I agree it wasn't as polished as the BBC were for the Olympics, but then I would imagine they had a much smaller budget. The three studio hosts were, I thought, very good.
  • RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We saw Helen Skelton last night and here is a little article about the presenter joining BT Sport:

http://www.cable.co.uk/news/bt-sport-adds-helen-skelton-to-presenter-line-up-801620279/
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to note that BT Sport got a decent length report on the BBC1 10pm News last night with David Bond in the BT Sport studios (not whilst BT were on air - he was on the football pitch on his own).
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    Channel 4 covered the Paralympics, and as I recall they won an award (BAFTA maybe?) for their coverage, beating the presumed favourite BBC's Olympic coverage in the process. Their coverage of the World Athletics Championships back in 2011 was laughable at times, but they upped their game for last summer. I agree it wasn't as polished as the BBC were for the Olympics, but then I would imagine they had a much smaller budget. The three studio hosts were, I thought, very good.

Only because the votes were split as the BBC had 2 nominations for the Olympics (Super Saturday and the Opening Ceremony) in the category and C4 only had one. Their marketing and advertising of the Paralympics (meet the superhumans) was miles ahead of their actual product.

Their athletics coverage in 2011 was pretty good except for Otis and all the team except for Otis returned to cover the Paralympic athletics.
    hendero wrote: »
    The three studio hosts were, I thought, very good.

I like the emphasis on studio as most of it was hosted from a small characterless studio rather than the venues even the opening ceremony!
  • Haribo76Haribo76 Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cdon77 wrote: »
    Why do they always go for ex-Liverpool players?

Hansen and Lawrenson on the BBC, Owen, James and McManaman on BTSport.

I think Molby was a regular before and there is Jamie Redknapp on ITV and the god awful John Barnes on Channel 5.

Considering they haven't won the premier league for 20 years why are those bunch of losers given the tag of experts analysis, surely they should be going for some players who have actually won the title?

Yes, I hadn't thought of that.

Sky are heavily liverpool biased with redknapp, carragher and Souness too.

I thought Micheal Owen was much better last night than his robotic performances on MOTD.
  • Hopper's mumHopper's mum Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    Ok thanks. ..thats why I asked.

ThE app is currently telling me ive reached my viewing limit but none of us are on it and not running in background of any device

We've had this problem too :confused:
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Just to note that BT Sport got a decent length report on the BBC1 10pm News last night with David Bond in the BT Sport studios (not whilst BT were on air - he was on the football pitch on his own).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b037mbjk/BBC_News_at_Ten_01_08_2013/
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm enjoying it so far but really disappointed that there doesnt seem to be an on demand facility anywhere
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    derek500 wrote: »
    My wife often hears a wicket on TMS in the kitchen and runs into the lounge to watch it 'live' on Sky!!
    Not getting much exercise at the moment. :(
  • promo-onlypromo-only Posts: 3,315
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haribo76 wrote: »
    Yes, I hadn't thought of that.

Sky are heavily liverpool biased with redknapp, carragher and Souness too.

I thought Micheal Owen was much better last night than his robotic performances on MOTD.

Considering Redknapp also played for Spurs & Southampton, Souness played for Middlesbrough, Sampdoria & Rangers and Michael Owen also played for Real, Newcastle, Man Utd & Stoke. Fair enough they've all got the same connection but it's hardly 'heavily biased' toward Liverpool - it just so happens they've all worn a Liverpool shirt at some stage of their career.

Sky have got plenty of non-Liverpool pundits too, just as MOTD have.
  • Haribo76Haribo76 Posts: 2,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    promo-only wrote: »
    Considering Redknapp also played for Spurs & Southampton, Souness played for Middlesbrough, Sampdoria & Rangers and Michael Owen also played for Real, Newcastle, Man Utd & Stoke. Fair enough they've all got the same connection but it's hardly 'heavily biased' toward Liverpool - it just so happens they've all worn a Liverpool shirt at some stage of their career.

Sky have got plenty of non-Liverpool pundits too, just as MOTD have.

The BT panel in particular are all mostly known for liverpool.

I would like some variety in there. Especially as a couple of them are dire.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    BT player not working well today -

poor quality stream and rebuffering all the time,
    have checked broadband speed and not a problem at my end.
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,087
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any thoughts on BT's EPG programme names?

At the moment there is "Live Romania v Spain" - it's only when you look at the description that you find it is beach football.

On Saturday there is "Live Liverpool v Arsenal" - look at the description and (of course) it's the FA Women's Super League.

Can see why they are doing it but should they be a bit more "honest" in the programme names?

Doing it this way is more likely to attract attention (at least initially) but could end up irritating people when they start to realise that the programme name doesn't actually tell you what you need to know.

It's OK to do this when it really is (say) an actual PL game as that's what people are expecting and people will generally know when it is an actual PL game. But when it is something much, much lower profile then people need the actual information.
  • bottleofbestbottleofbest Posts: 8,026
    Forum Member
    TH14 wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it so far but really disappointed that there doesnt seem to be an on demand facility anywhere

The app is going to have an ondemand facility soon as will the website once you log in with your BTID and password. Just bear with them.:)
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BT Vision/BT Sport got a rough ride on R4's You and Yours at lunchtime today.

It's on iPlayer from 36m 07s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b037jn8g/You_and_Yours_Fracking_fears_electric_car_success_stories_writing_a_will/
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

At the moment there is "Live Romania v Spain" - it's only when you look at the description that you find it is beach football.

On Saturday there is "Live Liverpool v Arsenal" - look at the description and (of course) it's the FA Women's Super League.

Can see why they are doing it but should they be a bit more "honest" in the programme names?

Doing it this way is more likely to attract attention (at least initially) but could end up irritating people when they start to realise that the programme name doesn't actually tell you what you need to know.

It's OK to do this when it really is (say) an actual PL game as that's what people are expecting and people will generally know when it is an actual PL game. But when it is something much, much lower profile then people need the actual information.

Ho ho. Maybe they're trying to save on using letters. Or maybe they think viewers are so stupid they'll think they are watching a Premiership or World Cup qualifying match. Or that they'll be so open-minded that they'll watch it anyway, even if it is the women's teams, or being played on the beach.

Hopefully the BT Sports management and operations teams read this thread. The only way is up.
  • RobSmithSRobSmithS Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some quick thoughts to add:
    My preference for EPG programme names for live/repeated sport for BT would be like how ESPN had it up until a couple of years ago and the way Premier Sports still have it now with the league/brand name prefixing the teams.

eg
    "Live MLB: St Louis at Cincinnati" or "MLB: St Louis at Cincinnati"
    "Live NRL: Raiders v Storm" and "NRL: Raiders v Storm"
    Not only does It helps group the games on an EPG search but overall I think it is a neater method. In my view it works best especially for when a channel covers a lot of games from the same league/brand (potentially Serie A/MLB for example).
    Not as you say "Live Romania v Spain" or "Live St Louis at Cincinnati" for example which doesn't necessarily at a glance identify the brand or league.