Options

NFL - UK Broadcasting Thread

Comments

• Options
    mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    I disagree, the location of where a team plays is very relevant.

Well it never has been before, I guarantee it will not be in future, but fair enough if you want to disagree. I certainly cannot remember Sky showing many 49ers late games outside of seasons in which they were a strong team though simply because of their location.

But looking at this season's schedule is fruitless when games get switched on merit into the late slot as the season goes on.

After the first few weeks the only games that are scheduled in the late slot are expected showcase games (such as New England at Green Bay), and those that can only be played then (west coast games, avoiding the Jets and Giants playing at the same time, and stadium or local requirements).

Otherwise the league waits to see how teams are performing so they can chose what to air then, including dropping those expected showcase games back to the early slot if they no longer seem as interesting.

When Sky do not pick the best game, but which I assume you mean the ones assigned to Joe Buck or Jim Nantz, it is almost always because they do not expect the matchup to be a competitive one.

What matters to the US networks is ratings, this means their definition of a showcase game means ones between teams from the biggest media markets, and teams and quarterbacks with the biggest national following. Even if the matchup is likely to be a blowout, a game featuring a poor Cowboys team will rate much higher than a meaningful NFC South clash when that division is strong and so be the one featured by the league and Fox.

For Sky the definition of a best game is one that features the best teams and will be competitive. If the national game in the US looks one-sided they will show something else, but only if the alternative is competitive and at least somewhat meaningful.

They have never tried to show as many teams as possible, they do sometimes avoid trying to show a particular team too often over a short period of time and will occasionally avoid showcase games for that reason.

This was notable last year when they chose not to show Denver at San Diego because they were going to show the Broncos visit to Kansas City. But as CBS allowed the league to move that game to SNF despite having protected it, so Sky made a late change replacing their original choice of Carolina at San Francisco.
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    Can anyone confirm whether or not the live NFL RedZone is blacked out in the UK on a Sunday with a GamePass subscription?

I know the two Sky Sports games are - but get varying info regarding the RedZone.
  • Options
    David_JohnsDavid_Johns Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    Don't know if anyone saw sky nfl's Instagram page but looks like cleatus the robot from fox will feature prominently this season. Also an improved studio looking at the previews on sky website!
  • Options
    mromegamromega Posts: 6,569
    Forum Member
    ozsat wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm whether or not the live NFL RedZone is blacked out in the UK on a Sunday with a GamePass subscription?

I know the two Sky Sports games are - but get varying info regarding the RedZone.

According to the T&C's on the Game Pass website, only the 2 games will be blacked out. NFL Redzone will be viewable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    Or that it was live?

No, I believe the rules specifically state it has be ongoing (or fairly close to ongoing, I don't think Ofcom would begrudge a satellite delay or whatever). I seem to remember a classic sports broadcaster getting in trouble, because it had repeated a sports event with weird break patterns, under the assumption that it applied to all sports, but Ofcom said no it just applied to live sports.

Here are the official rules, in Ofcom's own wording:
    Rule 16 of COSTA lists the following exceptions (amongst others) to the restrictions on the insertion of advertising breaks:
    f) “in programmes of live events, more breaks may be taken than are indicated…provided that:
    i) the timing of the event and it constituent parts are outside the control of the programme provider; and
    ii) there would not be sufficient time within the number of permitted breaks which are also natural breaks to schedule the permitted amount of advertising.
    g) live programme feeds from an overseas broadcaster may take the break pattern of the originating broadcaster. The broadcaster retransmitting the feed from the UK remains responsible for ensuring compliance with other relevant parts of this Code ...”
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,744
    Forum Member
    Thanks

I eventually got through on chat to them and I think the confusion is caused because they said 'Follow a team' does not allow RedZone access.
    mromega wrote: »
    According to the T&C's on the Game Pass website, only the 2 games will be blacked out. NFL Redzone will be viewable.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    Watched the opening game coverage overnight. So it seems Shaun Gayle is the studio expert until Thanksgiving then Jeff Reinebold, with Cecil Martin over for the Wembley games.

The studio has had a refresh, although not overly so. Already tired of the use of that touchscreen. It only needs Shaun doing that (having both him and Neil there is overkill) and a bit less often. I think Neil tries too hard to show us how much he knows about third string defensive ends and the like!!

After you get used to the presentation on ESPN College Football the Sky NFL coverage seems slow and tired. Still the obsession with a London franchise - strange how none of the players interviewed offered a dissenting opinion. They should do a vox with US based fans - that would give a quite different perspective!

Nice to see that we will get the CBS pre-game show from next Thursday at 12.30 then game coverage from 1.25 although I suspect that will still have a UK studio element?

Still the main element is the games and at least they haven't tried replacing the US commentators.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Watched the opening game coverage overnight. So it seems Shaun Gayle is the studio expert until Thanksgiving then Jeff Reinebold, with Cecil Martin over for the Wembley games.

The studio has had a refresh, although not overly so. Already tired of the use of that touchscreen. It only needs Shaun doing that (having both him and Neil there is overkill) and a bit less often. I think Neil tries too hard to show us how much he knows about third string defensive ends and the like!!

After you get used to the presentation on ESPN College Football the Sky NFL coverage seems slow and tired. Still the obsession with a London franchise - strange how none of the players interviewed offered a dissenting opinion. They should do a vox with US based fans - that would give a quite different perspective!

Nice to see that we will get the CBS pre-game show from next Thursday at 12.30 then game coverage from 1.25 although I suspect that will still have a UK studio element?

Still the main element is the games and at least they haven't tried replacing the US commentators.

SKY also showing some segments from the pre game show on Fox, for Sunday games, also SKY using the theme tune as NFL on Fox.
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't imagine them doing that, there doesn't seem to be any reason to do so.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SKY also showing some segments from the pre game show on Fox, for Sunday games, also SKY using the theme tune as NFL on Fox.

and the robot from Fox. do you think they may have teamed up with Fox in some way?
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is the 20th anniversary of their coverage, in an attempt to look like they're making an effort, they've probably paid Fox to have a Sky version of their animations with the Sky Sports logo replacing the Fox one.

Seems Sky, Channel 4 and ESPN have all refreshed/new studios for this season, nice to see some effort being put in.

I agree, having Neil and Shaun at the touchscreen is pointless, and Shaun talks slowly too and spends more time with his back to the camera working the screen rather thna sideways so viewers can still see his face. That needs to be addressed too. Also, every time he touched the screen, he was quick to clear it before adding new graphics. Surely to show everyone the breakdown of the play, leaving the graphics there would have been better than having to try and remember who he was highlighting a few seconds ago?

Wonder how Channel 4's coverage will go on Sunday... Was nice to see Sky's improved look for their coverage but I still don't like Kevin Cadle. Even Neil is starting to grate now.
  • Options
    marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    It is the 20th anniversary of their coverage, in an attempt to look like they're making an effort, they've probably paid Fox to have a Sky version of their animations with the Sky Sports logo replacing the Fox one.

Seems Sky, Channel 4 and ESPN have all refreshed/new studios for this season, nice to see some effort being put in.

I agree, having Neil and Shaun at the touchscreen is pointless, and Shaun talks slowly too and spends more time with his back to the camera working the screen rather thna sideways so viewers can still see his face. That needs to be addressed too. Also, every time he touched the screen, he was quick to clear it before adding new graphics. Surely to show everyone the breakdown of the play, leaving the graphics there would have been better than having to try and remember who he was highlighting a few seconds ago?

Wonder how Channel 4's coverage will go on Sunday... Was nice to see Sky's improved look for their coverage but I still don't like Kevin Cadle. Even Neil is starting to grate now.

Interesting to note that C4's NFL coverage, from the image on their Facebook and Twitter pages, is actually in the BT Studio complex. Anyhow, looking forward to Sunday Night Football's return!
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I assume this is the US ESPN? I didn't realise UK ESPN had any NFL coverage
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Big, big thumbs up from me for the Sky studio changes. Looks like they are in the old SSN (and the still current Soccer Saturday) studio. It looks great and it seems like it will allow them to do a whole host of great new features.

This is fantastic news. Reinebold is easily the best analyst Sky have so it's great we'll be getting so much of him but also Gayle is clearly the next best so very happy to have him when we can't have Jeff. Minimal appearances for Cecil Martin is a huge win, he has never offered a single ounce of insightful analysis in all the times he's been on.
    Nice to see that we will get the CBS pre-game show from next Thursday at 12.30 then game coverage from 1.25 although I suspect that will still have a UK studio element?.

I'm not so sure we will, it just makes so much sense if they are taking the pre game show to also take the half time show and not make a UK presentation team stay up all night just for 99% of the audience to fast forward their bits anyway.
    The studio has had a refresh, although not overly so. Already tired of the use of that touchscreen. It only needs Shaun doing that (having both him and Neil there is overkill) and a bit less often.

I don't agree with the criticism of the touchscreen segments. I thought it was lightyears ahead of the sort of analysis Sky were doing in previous years and I'd like to see as much as they can of that. Let's face it, when they aren't doing that they will only go back to the dull pimping of the London game or their fantasy teams.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    I assume this is the US ESPN? I didn't realise UK ESPN had any NFL coverage

They don't, he must be talking US ESPN.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    I don't agree with the criticism of the touchscreen segments. I thought it was lightyears ahead of the sort of analysis Sky were doing in previous years and I'd like to see as much as they can of that. Let's face it, when they aren't doing that they will only go back to the dull pimping of the London game or their fantasy teams.

I still say they don't need two of the three studio presenters at the touchscreen and I think just having one (Shaun) would mean he was explaining his point to us (the viewers) instead of to Neil. The main problem with the touchscreen is that when you get a new "toy" you feel you have to play with it. They just need to ensure they don't overuse it - paralysis by analysis syndrome will set in if that happens.

To pick up Paddy C's concern about Neil I just think he needs to focus on doing what he does best - bringing us news of what is happening in the NFL, players and coaches in and out, developing stories and the scores as they happen on a Sunday.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To pick up Paddy C's concern about Neil I just think he needs to focus on doing what he does best - bringing us news of what is happening in the NFL, players and coaches in and out, developing stories and the scores as they happen on a Sunday.

I wouldn't expect to see the SkyPad used outside of pre-game and half-time on Sunday. The current plan is to drop into Redzone during breaks in the main game as well as bringing other highlights into the main show.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    Interesting to note that C4's NFL coverage, from the image on their Facebook and Twitter pages, is actually in the BT Studio complex. Anyhow, looking forward to Sunday Night Football's return!

Interesting. Where were they before? Teddington?
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    realwales wrote: »
    Interesting. Where were they before? Teddington?

Channel 4 News studio wasn't it? Don't know where that is though.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,057
    Forum Member
    Which US network coverage do people prefer?

FOX has the useless Joe Buck and nice but boring Troy Aikman. Terry Bradshaw at least offers something different to the studio stuff.

I don't mind Simms on CBS but Nantz isn't great.

The NBC lead team isn't too bad but Bob Costas is just horrible.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Channel 4 News studio wasn't it? Don't know where that is though.

That's where they were during the Channel 5 era of covering the NFL (and all other overnight American sports). The Channel 4 News studio is at Gray's Inn Road, at ITN HQ. I'm not sure they've ever been there during the Channel 4 era, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ads wrote: »

FOX has the useless Joe Buck and nice but boring Troy Aikman. Terry Bradshaw at least offers something different to the studio stuff.

For me, Al & Cris are the best commentary team. On the other networks, it's actually the second team which are better imho, Ian Eagle / Dan Fouts (CBS) & Kevin Burkhardt / John Lynch (Fox).

Nantz / Simms are bland and clichéd. Buck / Aikman have significantly improved from their early days but still fall short for me.

Tirico on ESPN is solid, Gruden is totally OTT but can provide some good content. Don't get me started on Berman, thankfully we only have to listen to him once.

This weekend on Sky we will hear:
    Pats / Dolphins - Greg Gumbel, Trent Green (CBS)
    49ers / Cowboys - Joe Buck, Troy Aikman (Fox)

C4
    Colts / Broncos - Al Michaels / Cris Collingsworth

Eurosport
    Giants / Lions - Mike Tirico / Jon Gruden
    Chargers / Cardinals - Chris Berman / Trent Dilfer
  • Options
    Staffs SteveStaffs Steve Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    Likewise I feel some of the better commentary crew are further down the order. I think the SNF and MNF commentary teams on NBC and ESPN respectively are excellent.

For CBS I always enjoyed Greg Gumbel and Dan Dierdorf. We'll see how Trent Green works with Greg Gumbel later on. From Fox I think Kenny Albert and Daryl Johnston in the booth with Tony Siragusa commentating from the side line works well.
  • Options
    Chris_WilsonChris_Wilson Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »

are you kidding me, Costas was born on the same day as my dad and he is put simply a legend in America, and he has been magnificent both in baseball and NBA announcing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Interesting that when you use the red button you get Sky Sports 1 HD or SD as the game option according to which of those channels you access the Red Button from. Could this mean that NFL Redzone will also be HD when using the red button from Sky Sports 1 HD? It always used to be Sky Sports SD as the game option IIRC if you used the red button whether you accessed it from the SD or HD channel.

We will find out shortly.

EDIT - Sadly it appears to still be SD but at least with the HD game option it makes switching easier.