Options

O2 to launch landline phone service for its broadband customers from March

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    You can sign up with the Post Office to have a line installed which is around £105 (Added to your first bill) and its only a 30 day rolling contract, so you are free to change to O2 if you wish.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone received a response from o2 about how and when?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 497
    Forum Member

You mean the ones linked in the very first post of this thread?
  • Options
    Anne-SophieAnne-Sophie Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Well we are already in March and there has been nothing about Landline provision on the o2 site.

Anyone got any update on this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well we are already in March and there has been nothing about Landline provision on the o2 site.

Anyone got any update on this?

The title thread is misleading. The original O2 press release (linked in the first post) says "during Q2" and doesn't mention March. So it could be anytime up 'til the end of June.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    GTL wrote: »
    The title thread is misleading. The original O2 press release (linked in the first post) says "during Q2" and doesn't mention March. So it could be anytime up 'til the end of June.

As the OP, I have to take issue with that.
    The press release originally said March, the wording has changed. This is not the only place where that has happened:
    Look at http://blog.o2.co.uk/home/2010/01/o2-home-phone-in-march.html
    Notice the mention of March in the URL, but the absence of the word March, here substituted by Q2.

(look now before someone at O2 reads this and edits the URL!!!)

Also: See http://www.o2.com/media/press_releases/press_release_14530.asp
    And notice:
    O2 today announces that from March it will offer home phone to new and existing home broadband customers.

And notice all the trade and consumer websites on the web that quoted the original press releases and mention March - three examples: So at the time the thread title was not misleading, merely reporting the facts at the time.

If O2 want to quietly push the date further in the future, they should issue a new release rather than modifying older releases and pretending they never said March.
  • Options
    belleville1belleville1 Posts: 2,674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The comments on the blog are enlightening - it's a bit tight of them to make caller-ID a "bolt on" at £1.75 extra per month. It's free on even their cheapest bog standard mobile phone services!

It's something we've grown to find invaluable with the amount of dross phone calls we receive. I only ever answer the home phone if it's a number I know these days and having no caller-ID would be a real pain. I can see a lot of people sticking with BT if they don't back down over that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    As the OP, I have to take issue with that.
    The press release originally said March, the wording has changed.

If O2 want to quietly push the date further in the future, they should issue a new release rather than modifying older releases and pretending they never said March.

Naughty O2, and I stand corrected.

So we'll see if they change the prices again before the final release date. A couple of months ago (before the first press release in mid January) O2 advertised the home phone service "coming soon" at lower prices of £7.50 and £11.50. Looking at the feedback on the blog entry that the current proposed prices work out more expensive than BT when they add in caller ID and 1571 voice mail, they might be having another rethink.
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody heard anything further on O2 Home Phone ?
  • Options
    Mr PringleMr Pringle Posts: 6,469
    Forum Member
    It'd be good to know if it will launch in March. I'm moving on around the 10th April and it'd be good to get this installed - phone line, maximum speed unbundled broadband and a static IP for £27 a month gets my vote!
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    As seen a few posts above this one, O2's press releases have been amended to say "Q2" instead of March. Q2 (Quarter 2) can be anytime from the beginning of April to the end of June.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    The comments on the blog are enlightening - it's a bit tight of them to make caller-ID a "bolt on" at £1.75 extra per month. It's free on even their cheapest bog standard mobile phone services!

It's something we've grown to find invaluable with the amount of dross phone calls we receive. I only ever answer the home phone if it's a number I know these days and having no caller-ID would be a real pain. I can see a lot of people sticking with BT if they don't back down over that.

Since I registered with both the Mail and the Telephone Preference Services, the amount of unwanted phone calls and junk mail has plummeted like a stone. The big incentive for a company that subscribes to this service too - and gets it wrong - is a £5K fine.

On Thread topic - Come on O2 Give us the background to the delay and when we should expect to be able to give notice to BT to move to O2 Homephone? :yawn:
  • Options
    Mr PringleMr Pringle Posts: 6,469
    Forum Member
    a516 wrote: »
    As seen a few posts above this one, O2's press releases have been amended to say "Q2" instead of March. Q2 (Quarter 2) can be anytime from the beginning of April to the end of June.
    Thanks for that, I hadn't noticed that above. Shame - looks like I'll have to go with BT to start with and then see what happens with O2.
  • Options
    SadmeHappySadmeHappy Posts: 399
    Forum Member
    Mobile operator O2 has confirmed to ISPreview.co.uk that the launch of its new Home Phone (voice and line rental) services and related broadband bundles have been delayed until "later in the spring". The products were originally announced in January 2010 and targetted to be made available from March (i.e. early spring) of the same year.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/story/2010/03/22/o2-uk-delays-home-phone-line-rental-and-broadband-isp-bundle-launch.html
  • Options
    psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info ^^

Can't wait to get away from BT here...