3View HD-PVR - Owners Thread

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have it set to 1080p. I couldn't remember whether my tv is i or p. Does it make a difference or am I not understanding this issue.

As I have said before my other arial picked up the HD channels and shows them but it is attached to a sd tv. However because it caught them they are now on the box but I get the no signal message on 50 51 and 52 back on my hd tv although there are 3 bars on the list.

It is difficult to tell whether the picture is better although it is good.

Tried Youtube some videos won't play and some aren't great quality. I suspect that's the quality of the video not the box and there must be some that can't play because of what is running them or no agreement or come from 4OD (Flash Player)

Tried a manual recording via remote control but couldn't stop without going into menus.

I am getting the impression that I need to get used to the way it all worksand not get disillusioned on the first day.

I will now be on holiday for a week so won't be using it at all. Hopefully you marvellous people will persevere and when I get back there will be more answers than questions.

BTW I haven't been able to register (didn't recognise my user name or password. The Tech people may have rang back but I went out at 5.45 and just got back. I will have to email 3View.

Sam
  • digitldigitl Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I'm grateful for your help.
    Not a problem, I'm just sorry that you've had the problems.
    I may have narrowed it down a bit. It seems the problem is with mp3's with a bitrate of 320kbps. I have tried ones of 128kbps and 192kbps without any problems.

I have also played ogg and wav files without incident so things are looking up a bit.
    Progress!
  • scepticsceptic Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    samiam wrote: »
    I have the issue of no signal strength when looking at the list of channels but get a picture. I have signal strength on all 3 HD channels but when go to the channels no signal message.:confused:

The signal strengths shown in the channel list are obviously not right. But the one shown in the guide for the current channel does seem to work ok...
    Forum Member
    I am getting the impression that I need to get used to the way it all worksand not get disillusioned on the first day.
    Sam

I think half the fun is finding the problems/workarounds and then getting them fixed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Endpoint wrote: »
    I've posted a bunch of videos and first impressions up on the 3viewer site;

http://3viewer.elementfx.com/

I'm also logging all the bugs and enhancement requests on the forums;

http://3viewer.elementfx.com/forums/

So far I'm quite pleased with the box, but there's a lot more to improve in regard to the software. I've had to power it off at the wall twice. One with 'No Signal' appearing on all channels, and one with a lock-up after (unsuccessfully) attempting to play content over DLNA.

Playback of MKVs (via attached HDD) is okay as long as you don't want to fast-forward/jump forward.. that definitely needs fixing.

As long as 3view listen to the bugs and feature requests & get them implemented, I think it should be a pretty decent box.

I just think with it being in shops like John Lewis where people like my Mum might buy it, not having a manual & being buggy may cause problems.

I have already reported the 'no signal' issue to them and the lock ups when coming out of Media and also the 3View portal but if you report the same thing, it backs up my feedback to them.

GG
  • PhilipLPhilipL Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    I have it set to 1080p. I couldn't remember whether my tv is i or p. Does it make a difference or am I not understanding this issue.

All LCD/Plasma TVs are progressive, they only display 'p' signals. Assuming your TV is full HD, then it can only display a 1080p picture. So to enable it show any type of video like normal SD the TV uses a built in upscaler and de-interlacer (turns 'i' for interlaced into 'p' for progressive), and turns that picture into 1080p. This is why buying a DVD player or standard definition Freeview box with HDMI and an upscaler is just marketing, as your TV already upscales.

Broadcast HD TV is only 1080i. So outputting 1080p from the 3View box means the 3View box is doing the de-interlacing instead of the TV, and for SD footage it will also be upscaling as well. It depends if one does a better job than the other, but most HD TVs have pretty good de-interlacing and you are perhaps better off outputting 1080i, this also uses less bandwidth over the HDMI cable so means less likely hood of drops out etc or HDMI incompatibilities.

Regards

Phil
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PhilipL wrote: »
    Hi

All LCD/Plasma TVs are progressive, they only display 'p' signals. Assuming your TV is full HD, then it can only display a 1080p picture. So to enable it show any type of video like normal SD the TV uses a built in upscaler and de-interlacer (turns 'i' for interlaced into 'p' for progressive), and turns that picture into 1080p. This is why buying a DVD player or standard definition Freeview box with HDMI and an upscaler is just marketing, as your TV already upscales.

Broadcast HD TV is only 1080i. So outputting 1080p from the 3View box means the 3View box is doing the de-interlacing instead of the TV, and for SD footage it will also be upscaling as well. It depends if one does a better job than the other, but most HD TVs have pretty good de-interlacing and you are perhaps better off outputting 1080i, this also uses less bandwidth over the HDMI cable so means less likely hood of drops out etc or HDMI incompatibilities.

Regards

Phil

Thanks Phil that's helpful

Sam
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    Yes, they do deliver on Saturdays! I'm glad I've waded all through this thread, 'cos that'll save me the embarrassment of asking things like "I thought we were supposed to be getting iPlayer!" or "what happened to widgets?"

Set up went well, finding 99 channels off Crystal Palace, and the software update also appears to have worked, although the current version serial number is so damned long it can't show the date stamp.

I've two problems.

One - the on-line registration just does not work, having rechecked that my ID and password are correct via the My 3View 'forgotten your password?' link on the web site.

Two - despite having what appears to be between 5 and 5.5 bars out of 6 of signal strength, my EPG is badly corrupted in places. Do you think this is a signal strength issue or something going on at CP? It's never been an issue before, and I've given this box 'first dibs' on the aerial daisy chain. Curiously, picture quality is great, especially on the HD channels which, ironically, show up as having NO signal strength.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chris, you can ignore the signal strength meter on the box (the green units) as they are a bit iffy depending on which screen you are on. Try pressing the OK button when on a channel and go by that showing on the top right hand side of the 'mini guide'

Registering via the unit is not working and I had to contact Maria who then registered my unit for me (so make sure when you ring or contact her that you have your serial number with you, its underneath the unit in VERY small numbers and letters!

Picture quality is fantastic isn't it! I thought that HD on Freeview would be inferior to that on Freesat but is superior I think. Pin sharp on my Samsung.

GG
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just remind you all that when viewing any channel, you can also use the 'now/next Guide bar (don't know what to call it to be honest) by pressing OK, then you can scroll right left, up down with the direction keys on the remote. If you go to a program broadcasting in the future, press OK on it and you can then set up a recording from there?
    Just so none of you miss it. :D

GG (if a channel seems a bit quiet in volume when viewing, press right or left direction buttons to turn up or down the volume of the unit, NOT the volume of your amp.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I just remind you all that when viewing any channel, you can also use the 'now/next Guide bar (don't know what to call it to be honest) by pressing OK, then you can scroll right left, up down with the direction keys on the remote. If you go to a program broadcasting in the future, press OK on it and you can then set up a recording from there?
    Or just press 'record' once for a single recording and twice to set a series timer using the defaults you set up in 'setup', 'Channels', 'Recording Defaults'.
    Forum Member
    Picture wise I'm getting best results (comparing to the looped through picture on the TV's tuner) using 576p/direct. I think in my initial testing the zoom/direct/normal setting must not have been on direct as this has improved things. 1080i does not look as good as 576p but overall pictures are much better than I was getting earlier on today thank goodness! Hopefully things will improve even further when I move over to my Plasma.

BTW as expected my LCD TV reports the video signal as 576p on the HD channels when the 3View box is set to output 576p. I can't see a mode to get it to output 576p on the non HD channels whilst still outputting 1080i on the HD ones...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they do deliver on Saturdays!
    But not to this address! But I think everyone knows how I feel about DHL by now...
    Set up went well, finding 99 channels off Crystal Palace, and the software update also appears to have worked, although the current version serial number is so damned long it can't show the date stamp.
    3view know about the issues with truncated information in that section of 'System Info'.
    I've two problems.

One - the on-line registration just does not work, having rechecked that my ID and password are correct via the My 3View 'forgotten your password?' link on the web site.
    It may be that, in the rush to get boxes out, they haven't matched the box details with yours on the system. Give them a couple of days and then drop them an email if you still can't register the box.
    Two - despite having what appears to be between 5 and 5.5 bars out of 6 of signal strength, my EPG is badly corrupted in places. Do you think this is a signal strength issue or something going on at CP? It's never been an issue before, and I've given this box 'first dibs' on the aerial daisy chain. Curiously, picture quality is great, especially on the HD channels which, ironically, show up as having NO signal strength.
    HD (and SD) PQ is superb!

I've found some corruption in the EPG for the next few days and have let 3view know. I suspect it may be connected with a recent change in the way the EPG data is transmitted as I've heard other boxes have been affected (I daren't mention which box as I'll be accused of being anti-whatever).
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    sceptic wrote: »
    Picture wise I'm getting best results (comparing to the looped through picture on the TV's tuner) using 576p/direct. I think in my initial testing the zoom/direct/normal setting must not have been on direct as this has improved things. 1080i does not look as good as 576p but overall pictures are much better than I was getting earlier on today thank goodness! Hopefully things will improve even further when I move over to my Plasma.

BTW as expected my LCD TV reports the video signal as 576p on the HD channels when the 3View box is set to output 576p. I can't see a mode to get it to output 576p on the non HD channels whilst still outputting 1080i on the HD ones...
    Same as my Humax then. The 576p setting provides the best quality SD picture possible over HDMI. The downside of this mode is that it causes the interface & menus to lose their sharpness and of course you have to switch to 1080i for the HD channels.

The difference is only slight though and I have learned to get used to 1080i after a while. The PQ is still very good, albeit not the best possible. A halfway house option like you describe would be a good addition to these boxes in future firmware upgrades.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know how to display disk space?

I was setting up some recordings and got a low disk space warning!

It's ok I've found it.
  • prkingprking Posts: 9,791
    Forum Member
    @digtl, the change in the EPG was the switching on of FreeviewHD content protection.
    I was under the impression that the whilst the 3view box is not a FreeviewHD box, it does support the encrypted EPG.
    So possibly its some other bug causing the corruption?
  • PhilipLPhilipL Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    Dancc wrote: »
    Same as my Humax then. The 576p setting provides the best quality SD picture possible over HDMI. The downside of this mode is that it causes the interface & menus to lose their sharpness and of course you have to switch to 1080i for the HD channels.

The difference is only slight though and I have learned to get used to 1080i after a while. The PQ is still very good, albeit not the best possible. A halfway house option like you describe would be a good addition to these boxes in future firmware upgrades.

This is a bit of a problem for lots of boxes. Having it switch automatically between the two to avoid double scaling and subsequent reduction in picture quality, can get rather annoying, and I think this is why some boxes don't come with it.

Imagine channel hoping, when you move between HD and SD, SD and HD you are going to have to wait while the HDMI re-syncs back up. When you are on an SD channel and want to view the guide without the lower resolution graphics, you will have to wait again a few seconds, then when you exit you will have a wait again while it drops back to 576.

The Philips/Pace box had this option to automatically switch and it did get annoying.

Regards

Phil
  • Bob1942Bob1942 Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sceptic wrote: »
    I think half the fun is finding the problems/workarounds and then getting them fixed!

Not at £299 a pop! I expect to set up the box to work,this should be working ok from the factory.
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Hi

This is a bit of a problem for lots of boxes. Having it switch automatically between the two to avoid double scaling and subsequent reduction in picture quality, can get rather annoying, and I think this is why some boxes don't come with it.

Imagine channel hoping, when you move between HD and SD, SD and HD you are going to have to wait while the HDMI re-syncs back up. When you are on an SD channel and want to view the guide without the lower resolution graphics, you will have to wait again a few seconds, then when you exit you will have a wait again while it drops back to 576.

The Philips/Pace box had this option to automatically switch and it did get annoying.

Regards

Phil

I'd be happy to have that as an option at least. Also a single remote button to switch between them would be useful, especially as the number of HD channels increases.
  • Bob1942Bob1942 Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/14819760/3view-HD-Digital-TV-Recorder-With-500GB-HDD/Product.html

In stock it seems at www.play.com but why dearer than 3view?,only 99p but...................
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    Bob1942 wrote: »
    It's not in stock yet. Although the description "Usually dispatched within 4-5 days" suggests they are expecting stock in imminently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    prking wrote: »
    @digtl, the change in the EPG was the switching on of FreeviewHD content protection.
    I was under the impression that the whilst the 3view box is not a FreeviewHD box, it does support the encrypted EPG.
    So possibly its some other bug causing the corruption?
    You're right in all you say. I'm just casting around trying to find an explanation.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how to display disk space?

I was setting up some recordings and got a low disk space warning!

It's ok I've found it.
    For those who might be wondering, press 'pvr' and go into 'PVR Events Viewer'. It's top-right ish.

You've almost filled 500GB?
  • Anne-SophieAnne-Sophie Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    In stock it seems at www.play.com but why dearer than 3view?,only 99p but...................[/QUOTE]

I wonder when John Lewis will be getting them. Although I have one on pre-order with JL, I'm seriously wondering whether the latest Humax isn't more reliable. Think I might cancel order and wait awhile as I have a panny with hard disc and possibility to record to DVD which will keep me going, then I can finally decide when these machines are more "mature"
  • mkstevomkstevo Posts: 357
    Forum Member
    This is why buying a DVD player or standard definition Freeview box with HDMI and an upscaler is just marketing, as your TV already upscales.

Regards

Phil

I think that a DVD player with in built upscaler does offer an advantage. The upscaling within the DVD player is done 'digitally', transferred to the TV (via HDMI) 'digitally' and if set to the same aspect as the TV panel native resolution, transferred directly to the display panel.

Compared to an analogue output on a DVD, this is converted within the DVD player from a digital signal to an analogue one, this is fed to the TV as an analogue signal, converted within the TV back to a digital one, then upscaled within the TV before being fed to the display panel. As this involves two (digital-analogue then analogue-digital) conversions, both of which are likely to add their own losses, the picture is likely to be compromised significantly more than upscaling (which if set correctly in the DVD need only be done once) which is done purely digitally.