Options

Asda cheese and bacon pasta bake

lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I bought a jar of this sauce, used it in some mac and cheese and it is disgusting.
The cheese... where is it?? It does have the smoky taste of bacon but is also very acidic, as though it had lemon juice or vinegar in it and I looked at the ingredients and can't see any of these in the list; it does have acidity regulator though :confused:, I wonder what it would taste like without it :D
I know it's easy to make a cheese sauce from scratch and I did it yesterday for my first batch of mac and cheese but today I wasn't feeling well and so I thought I would cheat (bad idea, never again).
I still have quite a bit of this sour mac and cheese in the fridge which has been baked already, can I do anything to make it taste more palatable? I am guessing I can't.
You have any experience of these ready made sauces?
I haver learned my lesson anyway, so next time I will make my own again.

Comments

• Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds vile. What is it exactly if its a sauce and doesn't have cheese or bacon in it? Sounds like puke.
  • Options
    Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    I bought a jar of this sauce, used it in some mac and cheese and it is disgusting.
    The cheese... where is it?? It does have the smoky taste of bacon but is also very acidic, as though it had lemon juice or vinegar in it and I looked at the ingredients and can't see any of these in the list; it does have acidity regulator though :confused:, I wonder what it would taste like without it :D
    I know it's easy to make a cheese sauce from scratch and I did it yesterday for my first batch of mac and cheese but today I wasn't feeling well and so I thought I would cheat (bad idea, never again).
    I still have quite a bit of this sour mac and cheese in the fridge which has been baked already, can I do anything to make it taste more palatable? I am guessing I can't.
    You have any experience of these ready made sauces?
    I haver learned my lesson anyway, so next time I will make my own again.

I recommend you feed the lot to the birds (if they will eat it that is!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It sounds vile. What is it exactly if its a sauce and doesn't have cheese or bacon in it? Sounds like puke.

I can see bits of "bacon" but can't taste the cheese at all and yet it mentions 15% of cheddar in the ingredients I think (I am not sure about the percentage).
    I meant I can't see anything like vinegar or lemon juice in the ingredients but the sauce tastes like it has one or the other in it.
    It is vile, wouldn't recommend it.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If it's vile and a combination of a cheap jarred sauce and dried pasta then chuck it and put it down to being a failed experiment.
  • Options
    ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luckily ASDA products come with a 100% guarantee, just return the jar for your money back. If you want it by payment type you'll need the receipt:).
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its so easy to make cheese sauce your self I don't understand these jars of the stuff takes less than 5 minutes too. All you do is melt butter add some flour and slowly add in milk, then some grated cheese, season then add fried bacon bits and you are done. Depends on how many you are serving but I use 300mls of semi-skimmed milk two spoons of butter and two spoons of flour this is for 100g of pasta and its enough for 1 (reduce the flour and butter for a thinner sauce). Its really nice after topped with breadcrumbs then baked in the oven for 30 minutes
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phill363 wrote: »
    Its so easy to make cheese sauce your self I don't understand these jars of the stuff takes less than 5 minutes too. All you do is melt butter add some flour and slowly add in milk, then some grated cheese, season then add fried bacon bits and you are done. Depends on how many you are serving but I use 300mls of semi-skimmed milk two spoons of butter and two spoons of flour this is for 100g of pasta and its enough for 1 (reduce the flour and butter for a thinner sauce). Its really nice after topped with breadcrumbs then baked in the oven for 30 minutes

I know, have always done it myself, just today I was a bit unwell and feeling lazy so I gave the jarred sauce a try. I thought it would save me washing up as well.
    Yes, I top the mac and cheese with breadcrumbs as they make it go very crispy.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lem ramsay wrote: »
    I know, have always done it myself, just today I was a bit unwell and feeling lazy so I gave the jarred sauce a try. I thought it would save me washing up as well.
    Yes, I top the mac and cheese with breadcrumbs as they make it go very crispy.

Yeah, its a great dish to have when the weathers bad very comforting and filling :) need to make some now.
  • Options
    KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    If it's vile and a combination of a cheap jarred sauce and dried pasta then chuck it and put it down to being a failed experiment.

There's nothing wrong with dried pasta in itself. I remember when supermarkets here started pushing "fresh pasta" (at a premium price, of course) a few years back, it was pointed out by a food expert that dried pasta is just as good for most everyday uses and the Italians themselves were quite happy to use it.

In fact, according to the Wikipedia article, it's been around for a long, *long* time (like 1500 years or so!)

That said, the cheap sauce *is* probably rubbish. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kodaz wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with dried pasta in itself. I remember when supermarkets here started pushing "fresh pasta" (at a premium price, of course) a few years back, it was pointed out by a food expert that dried pasta is just as good for most everyday uses and the Italians themselves were quite happy to use it.

In fact, according to the Wikipedia article, it's been around for a long, *long* time (like 1500 years or so!)

I am Italian and always had dried pasta at home and there is nothing wrong with it. The sauce was horrible and ruined evrything.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I am Italian and always had dried pasta at home and there is nothing wrong with it; I wouldn't buy their sauces again or ay ready made ones anyway :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find all jarred cheese sauces taste a bit funny. Years ago I had a Homepride cheese and ham sauce for pasta bake and it was terrible. Tasted so bad
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

I wasn't commenting on the quality of the dried pasta. I was referring to the price. A jarred sauce and a couple of cups of dried pasta is probably less that £1.
  • Options
    KodazKodaz Posts: 1,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find all jarred cheese sauces taste a bit funny. Years ago I had a Homepride cheese and ham sauce for pasta bake and it was terrible. Tasted so bad

Yeah, I bought something like that once. I used a pot(!) in the oven whose plastic-like handle obviously wasn't meant for the heat and slightly melted. I put the odd flavour down to fumes from the decomposing plastic.

Then I tried another jar of the sauce some time later and realised that, no, it was the sauce itself that tasted bloody weird. :D