Options

Helen now Head of Retail at Greggs SE

Comments

• Options
    TissyTissy Posts: 45,748
    Forum Member
    She just announced on Twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/helen_milligan

Pleased for her :) 100 job offers <though not all serious ones> doesn`t surprise me one bit.
  • Options
    CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She just announced on Twitter

http://twitter.com/#!/helen_milligan

I'm pleased for her and much deserved too. :)
  • Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    Cheers for Helen. Just desserts.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Massive congratulations to Helen! :cool:
  • Options
    Zoltan SmithZoltan Smith Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smart move by Greggs

and a real job!
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done to Helen.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Might well work out better than winning - given the poor record of previous winners staying on with Lord Sid:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,588
    Forum Member
    I'll keep an eye out for her when I next visit Greggs in Leatherhead or Woking...

Alan Carr will be made up!
  • Options
    dizzyrascaldizzyrascal Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Very well done and congratulations to Helen. Very please for her, she deserves it. :)
  • Options
    Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She already had a top job with Greggs anyway, (Executive Assistant to the CEO.)

I presume this is a good promotion for her though.
    Congrats.
  • Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will be a much better job. Exec Assistants is another term for PA. Heads of depts will have ALOT more responsibility.

Well done to Helen :)
  • Options
    Mr PoeticMr Poetic Posts: 1,964
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An excellent job it seems. Congratulations to her
  • Options
    Zoltan SmithZoltan Smith Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She will be the real winner from this series
  • Options
    sensoriasensoria Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A job in Greggs!

Living the dream...........
  • Options
    Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sensoria wrote: »
    A job in Greggs!

She's not just serving up rolls and cakes behind the counter, she'll be on a very good salary I suspect.
  • Options
    upnunderupnunder Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    iCandy77 wrote: »
    This will be a much better job. Exec Assistants is another term for PA. Heads of depts will have ALOT more responsibility.

Well done to Helen :)

In my experience of dealing with Executive assistants to CEOs, they carry a lot more weight than heads of departments.
    They are party to, and involved in massive decisions for the business, and also completely run the life of the CEO. They are often far more influential in operational decisions than the CEO they look after.
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well done Helen. I wonder will she be incorporating MyPy's into Greggs range:)
  • Options
    StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    sensoria wrote: »
    A job in Greggs!

Sausage Rolls all round then....:cool:

Pay Rise....:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    Wasn't a fan at all but congratulations to Helen.

I note that her twitter actually says 'head of south east retail'. Still sounds like a good job but nowhere near the overall 'head of retail' in the title of this thread!
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I note that her twitter actually says 'head of south east retail'. Still sounds like a good job but nowhere near the overall 'head of retail' in the title of this thread!

I agree.

Sounds like a Regional Manager job. If true, that's quite a bit different and lower than Head of Retail which I'd imagine is a Management Commitee job.

In the companies I've worked in Regional Management are heavily operational. Head of Department jobs are more strategic and directional and usually report to the MD/Chief Exec.

However, she would probably be very good at that sort of regional job. It sounds exactly like the type of job she might get from being an EA.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I've taken the "SE" at the end of the thread title to mean "South East" all day:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I've taken the "SE" at the end of the thread title to mean "South East" all day:)

I'm sure it didn't say the SE bit originally - or maybe I was just being stupid :o (which is likely!)

I said on here before that I reckon she was really technically a PA even though she was called an EA.

A dictionary definition EA could have a say at the top table about the direction of the company and moving to a regional retail manager from that would be a step down. I'm assuming this is a promotion, and therefore from what was essentially a PA to a regional manager. I think regional manager also fits her skillset. All organisational and operational but not much strategy or business direction.

Well done again to Helen (from a non-Helen fan) - going on the show was clearly worth it.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A dictionary definition EA could have a say at the top table about the direction of the company and moving to a regional retail manager from that would be a step down. I'm assuming this is a promotion, and therefore from what was essentially a PA to a regional manager.
    But she was a regional manager at Greggs in the Midlands before, and was promoted from that to executive assistant.
    tennisman wrote: »
    Sounds like a Regional Manager job. If true, that's quite a bit different and lower than Head of Retail which I'd imagine is a Management Commitee job.
    According to The Sun:
    Helen, 30, will be head of retail in the South East for bakery Greggs. She will run 200 shops and be in charge of 2,300 staff.
    Presumably that's a step up from the regional manager post she had before. In my view it's such a big step up from PA that it casts doubt on the theory that EA=PA.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever it is and regardless of what she did or didn't do, that's quite a lot of responsibility.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Taking facts about her new job from The Sun may not be the best idea - News International doesn't have the best reputation for accurate journalism at the moment!

I can't be bothered with the EA/PA argument anymore mate - I've told you what I've seen in my firm (one of the big four) and dozens of our big clients, and I'll leave it at that. I'm happy that working personally with some well known CEO's of large corporations that I know fully what an EA is.

There was also an EA that posted on here halfway through the series and she described her job as 'organisational and administrative'. Vital, complex, but not assisting the setting the direction of the company or making major company decisions.