• MishcollMishcoll Posts: 12,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that black pudding creme looks revolting -

Doesn't make the dish very appealing at all
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the point of the snails, they seemed to be 'hidden' in the croquette

He's forcing you to eat them... like when you were a nipper and yer mam hid yer greens in the mash ;)
    that black pudding creme looks revolting -

Didn't it just :eek:
    :yawn:
    /|\

And he didn't say whether he had managed to not curdle the fresh blood *dead faint*

So is there a difference between pig cheek - which has been done before - and pig jowls...

And we had DA DA DAAAAAAAAA the false drama of Nigel giving Steph a pep talk. Isn't that the problem with Steph this year. She's too pepped up... she needs to focus on the cliches... ;) And as she was half way through cooking her dish what bally good was it going to do her... jeez.... :mad:

And an interesting thing Nigel said about the cold apple changed the taste of the other food. For a little while all manner of MasterChef judges have said that although the food maybe only room temperature (after it's been photo'd), it doesn't change the flavour. Rumbled ! It does. So there :p
  • tallulahulatallulahula Posts: 440
    Forum Member
    Whilst I still find this compulsive viewing, I'm really not getting it this year, Maybe I'm like Steph. It all seems a bit precious, I mean aerosol cans with chicken scented spray, and woodland platters with dry ice looking more like a japanese miniature garden than something edible. It's food for children with a low attention span.
    Blue peter tracey island model with a boil in the bag fish.
    I can see the athletes all going for a MacDonalds after the banquet.
    However, I will be glued (like the fish) to the bitter end....perhaps I will understand it in due course.:cool:
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And an interesting thing Nigel said about the cold apple changed the taste of the other food. For a little while all manner of MasterChef judges have said that although the food maybe only room temperature (after it's been photo'd), it doesn't change the flavour. Rumbled ! It does. So there :p

In fairness to our beloved MC judges I'm supposing Nigel meant the contrast between hot and cold at the same time whereas with MC everything has gone stone cold? :)

In terms of the banquet I wasn't really blown away by any of the mains, despite Nigel's relatively high marks, though there were some interesting ingredients used and naturally I'd have scoffed the lot if it had been offered to me. :)

Watching this week has made me consider how good Daniel's menu and cooking was last week.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Blue peter tracey island model with a boil in the bag fish.

:D:D:D

And tonight

NE - Puds
    Stephanie Moon puts together a podium of puddings, Colin McGurran whips up a chocolate, rhubarb and custard treat and Charlie Lakin produces an Earl Grey and strawberry souffle.

Unsire about choc & rhubard... and 'podium of puddings' gives us no clues whatsoever...

So hoping Steph pulls it out of the bag and ups her game for the gold medal position...

Soz I'll leave now
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't a souffle be very risky to cook for a banquet?
    Forum Member

Very tricky - I think that looks really nice. Oh! it's GORSE flower, I thought it was GHOST flower :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I'd tuned in for a cooking show so why am I watching diving??
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    A lot more padding than pudding so far.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What happened to his sorbet?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liking that rhubarb and custard dish :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cybergirl3 wrote: »
    What happened to his sorbet?!

Think it was inside the choc ball

Stephs is too gimmicky for my tastes
    Forum Member
    Steph was poor compared to last year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't believe she was crying. I didn't think the chefs were that emotionally invested in this.
    Forum Member
    cybergirl3 wrote: »
    Can't believe she was crying. I didn't think the chefs were that emotionally invested in this.

I think she was so frustrateds because she had completely misunderstood what was required.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bet Prue picks up on that tomorrow. But I'm sure someone's done an Earl Grey souffle before... maybe on MasterChef... :confused: I can remember it looking kinda green in the middle...
    Mishcoll wrote: »
    apaul wrote: »
    A lot more padding than pudding so far.

A bit f*king ridiculous I thought... Obviously not enough DA DA DAAAAAA drama in the kitchen today :rolleyes:

BTW: I used to jump off the top board from the age of 10... mind you I didn't know I was travelling at 30mph :eek:

I do think that chocolate sphere pud deserves *CLAP HANDS*. Bet they love the look of it tomorrow. I wouldn't follow Nigel's recommendation of white choc...I'd stick with dark but change to raspberries (DA DA DAAAAA a classic combination) BTW How easy is it to get rhubarb in July? Just saying...
    apaul wrote: »
    Steph was poor compared to last year.

Poor Steph :cry: . I think her quirkiness suited the concept of a street party well... when a lot of the M*s last year didn't get it...

I'm still a bit :confused: about what the Friday experts are actually looking for this year. At least in the last years they've kept banging on about the provenance of the ingredients so we got that bit (in droves....) This year.... :confused:
  • mindyannmindyann Posts: 20,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bet Prue picks up on that tomorrow. But I'm sure someone's done an Earl Grey souffle before... maybe on MasterChef... :confused: I can remember it looking kinda green in the middle...

Marcus Wareing did an Earl Grey tea cream and Garibaldi biscuit in the second series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...Earl Grey souffle ...

Found a picture of one

In the banner at the top. Milk ice cream :confused: Doesn't all ice cream have milk in it....

I'll go back to that site tomorrow and have a good old mooch around.... :D
  • kingofcakeskingofcakes Posts: 2,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found a picture of one

In the banner at the top. Milk ice cream :confused: Doesn't all ice cream have milk in it....

I'll go back to that site tomorrow and have a good old mooch around.... :D

Milk ice cream often reffers to ice cream made to taste like milk, so it often has condensed milk in it instead of sugar, no cream, and milk powder can also be used
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mishcoll wrote: »

And...

When the chef dived of the "10m" board, why was the pro diver behind him clearly shown standing on the board that had "7.5m" labelled on the side?
  • MR. MacavityMR. Macavity Posts: 3,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DFI wrote: »
    And...

When the chef dived of the "10m" board, why was the pro diver behind him clearly shown standing on the board that had "7.5m" labelled on the side?

........dunno, the the version I watched on Sky+ clearly showed him jumping off the top platform, with Nick the pro diver also standing there i.e. 10m? He was brave wearing those Speedos I say!

Poor, poor ,poor Steph! I really felt for her being so upset at the end. Unfortunately, though she did get the wrong end of the brief, her actual cooking was way below last year's standard in any case. I just wanted to give her a big cuddle.

I thought Colin's dessert was spectacular and very clever, though it did end up as a bit of a splodge. Agreed with Nigel's comments about using white chocolate in terms of flavour though that might be a bit harder to mold? Any Chocolatiers out there?
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Poor Steph, she really got hold of the wrong end of the stick with the brief this year - still love her though :(

Damm editing gave away which dish Oliver was very grumpy about, I do wish they check that we can't clearly see the plate in shot as he's talking
  • notnek01notnek01 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    It's been a very poor quality week. I can't see the judges going crazy about any of the dishes in today's show.
    Forum Member
    Perhaps it would have been better if they'd had some chefs from the North East.