Options

2013 BDO Darts Thread

Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,688
Forum Member
✭✭
As one darting organisation crown thier World Champ another gets ready to play darts.

This Saturday sees the start of the BDO Worlds on BBC2 and ESPN. ( Please note on Monday night its on ESPN Classic due to FA Cup football on ESPN )

This is for us darts fans, not the one time a year watchers who think darts starts and ends with Phil Taylor.

Here is the draw and the playing times

MEN’S FIRST ROUND DRAW & TIMES

SAT JAN 5TH 6.30PM: (16) DARRYL FITTON (ENG) v BENITO van de PAS (NETH)

SUN JAN 6TH 1PM (1) STEPHEN BUNTING (ENG) v JAMES WILSON (ENG)

SAT JAN 5TH 7.30PM (9) ALAN NORRIS (ENG) v WAYNE WARREN (WAL)

SUN JAN 6TH 8.30PM (8) WESLEY HARMS (NETH v RUNE DAVID (NOR)

SUN JAN 6TH 4PM (12) SCOTT MITCHELL (ENG) v MARK BARILLI (SCOT)

SAT JAN 5TH 2.30PM (5) ROBBIE GREEN (ENG) v CHRISTIAN KIST (NETH)

SUN JAN 6TH 2PM (13) STEVE DOUGLAS (ENG) v GARY STONE (SCOT)

SAT JAN 5TH 8.30PM (4) TONY O'SHEA (ENG) v JOHN WALTON (ENG)

SAT JAN 5TH 4.30PM (15) RICHIE GEORGE (ENG) v DAVE PRINS (ENG)

SUN JAN 6TH 3PM (2) MARTIN ADAMS (ENG) v JIMMY HENDRIKS (NETH

SAT JAN 5TH 3.30PM (10) GARY ROBSON (ENG) v GARRY THOMPSON (ENG)

SUN JAN 6TH 6.30PM (7) JAN DEKKER (NETH) v JEFFREY de GRAAF (NETH)

SAT JAN 5TH 1PM (11) MARTIN ATKINS (ENG) v JASON CULLEN (REP of IRE)

MON JAN 7TH 7.30PM (6) ROSS MONTGOMERY (SCOT) v PAUL JENNINGS (ENG)

MON JAN 7TH 6.30PM (14) GEERT de VOS (BELG) v TONY ECCLES (ENG)

MON JAN 7TH 8.30PM (3) SCOTT WAITES (ENG) v WILLY van de WIEL (NETH)

WOMEN'S Q/FINALS DRAW & TIMES:

SUN JAN 6TH 5.30PM (4) IRINA ARMSTRONG (GER) v SHARON PRINS (NETH)

SAT JAN 5TH 9.30PM (1) DETA HEDMAN (ENG) v LISA ASHTON (ENG)

MON JAN 7TH 5.30PM (3)JULIE GORE (WAL) v TRINA GULLIVER (ENG)

SUN JAN 6TH 7.30PM (2) ANASTASIA DOBROMYSLOVA (RUSS) v LORRAINE FARLAM (ENG)

So, who is your money on ?

Comments

• Options
    tsotso Posts: 25,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty open this year i think..

Bunting my pick.

Once again play starts 530pm during the week(so first hour must be found else where i guess;))

Dont forget folks to check out the prediction comp ;)
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1777252
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tso wrote: »
    Pretty open this year i think..

Bunting my pick.

Once again play starts 530pm during the week(so first hour must be found else where i guess;))

Dont forget folks to check out the prediction comp ;)
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1777252

Far too early to be thinking of that prediction comp yet tso, I want to see how many dozens of points I finish behind the rest in the PDC one first
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Far too early to be thinking of that prediction comp yet tso, I want to see how many dozens of points I finish behind the rest in the PDC one first

and me:p
  • Options
    Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and me :(:p

As for this tournament difficult to pick a winner isn't it, Bunting is the form horse of the field but has no real record at Lakeside likewise Waites who has never really performed to his best there.

Could be one of 6 or 7 men for me. Quite fancy Harms at 19/1 on betfair.
  • Options
    Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is the event that Bristow called the 'pub open' last week during commentary. I thought that was bang out of order. Considering he has won the BDO title five times you would of thought he would have more respect.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the tournament and I really hope Scott Waites wins it. On his day he can beat anyone and if he plays like he did when he beat James Wade in the grand slam final he will be tough to beat.

It will also be nice to see a respectful crowd who actually go to watch the darts unlike some of the morons at the ally pally.
  • Options
    CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    not really a fan of the bdo but will probably end up watching it, would like to see tony o' shea win it and anastasia win the women's
  • Options
    Terrence ChantTerrence Chant Posts: 1,334,542
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Psycho_Ned wrote: »
    and me :(:p

As for this tournament difficult to pick a winner isn't it, Bunting is the form horse of the field but has no real record at Lakeside likewise Waites who has never really performed to his best there.

Could be one of 6 or 7 men for me. Quite fancy Harms at 19/1 on betfair.

Yeah I've backed Sparky albeit at 16/1 on SkyBet. Tough quarter he's in with Bunting, but by the last 8 you're going to run into someone pretty decent whatever. Reached the semis last year, got the game to go further, hence a decent bet.
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    This is the event that Bristow called the 'pub open' last week during commentary. I thought that was bang out of order. Considering he has won the BDO title five times you would of thought he would have more respect.

Anyway I'm looking forward to the tournament and I really hope Scott Waites wins it. On his day he can beat anyone and if he plays like he did when he beat James Wade in the grand slam final he will be tough to beat.

It will also be nice to see a respectful crowd who actually go to watch the darts unlike some of the morons at the ally pally.

They are enjoying themselves and letting their hair down.

I see nothing wrong with that.

Bristow's comment may be harsh but given the lack of any depth or quality in the BDO it is pretty fair. Nowadays it is more akin to the old News of the World championship than the flagship event of the sport that it used to be.

Having said that I will watch it too and I will be rooting for Tony O'Shea. The O'Shea-Hankey final a few years back may not have been the greatest game ever but it was perfect drama.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scott Waites reminds me a bit of Anderson when it comes to Lakeside. All the talent, all the potential but just cannot do it on that stage.

I wouldn't rule out Kist doing it again.

As for the ladies I shall be cheering on the lovely Lorraine.
  • Options
    ScrumperScrumper Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why no Hankey in the draw?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrumper wrote: »

Because he isnt a BDO player
  • Options
    M@nterikM@nterik Posts: 6,982
    Forum Member
    Scrumper wrote: »

"The Count" jumped ship last year.

Don't you remember his complaints about the aircon ?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/darts/9016240/Ted-Hankeys-switch-from-BDO-to-PDC-is-just-the-latest-in-a-long-line-of-defections-in-darts-cold-war.html
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    This is for us darts fans, not the one time a year watchers who think darts starts and ends with Phil Taylor.
    Yes, ofcourse no real darts fans watch the PDC and no armchair fans tune in once a year to the BBC for the BDO coverage :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Yes, ofcourse no real darts fans watch the PDC and no armchair fans tune in once a year to the BBC for the BDO coverage :rolleyes:

You know what I mean, those who come on here and slate the BDO because they aren't averaging what Taylor and MVG are and believe all the bullsh*t spoken by some Sky commentators and Alan Warriner-Little
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How comes Hendriks is playing in this as well as PDC :confused:
    Didnt think you could play in both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Because it is two seperate people

PDC - Jerry Hendriks
    BDO - Jimmy Hendriks
  • Options
    Xavier QuebeckXavier Quebeck Posts: 78,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's two different players. The one that played Taylor was Jerry. This is Jimmy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because it is two seperate people

PDC - Jerry Hendriks
    BDO - Jimmy Hendriks

Im a plonker:o:p
  • Options
    griffpaulgriffpaul Posts: 777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I want O' Shea or Waites to win, but i think Bunting will win.
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's O'Shea's turn, but I can't see past Waites this year.

Only one Welshman to root for in the draw.... no Martin Phillips this year.

In the ladies, I think Deta's due one, but I can see Trina wanting revenge over Anastasia.

BTW - PDC may have the showbiz, but for those who love the purity and openness of sport, where anyone can qualify through their local pub, county and country, as well as (mostly) respectful crowds in a proper intimate setting, you can't beat a bit of BDO. It's the original. Pub open? Give me a break. It's not all about averages you know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MeicY wrote: »
    It's O'Shea's turn, but I can't see past Waites this year.

Only one Welshman to root for in the draw.... no Martin Phillips this year.

In the ladies, I think Deta's due one, but I can see Trina wanting revenge over Anastasia.

BTW - PDC may have the showbiz, but for those who love the purity and openness of sport, where anyone can qualify through their local pub, county and country, as well as (mostly) respectful crowds in a proper intimate setting, you can't beat a bit of BDO. It's the original. Pub open? Give me a break. It's not all about averages you know.

You know I didn't even spot that, just one Welshman in it. Staggering. At least you have Julie Gore to cheer for in the ladies too.

I really must go to Lakeside one year. I go to the Matchplay ( well it is in Hull after all ) and they always look after you so I must get my ample backside to the Country Club one year.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Curious to see how Kist and Harms do, if they follow what the likes of Chisnall and Winstanley did they will lose early and head straight to the PDC.

Can't help but feel that the BDO is nothing more than a feeder these days, the atmosphere is better than at the PDC Championships but lacks the overall quality. The likes of O'Shea and Waites are great players but there are too many who are nothing more than also rans.

As for the women, I wonder if they will have more knives out for Dobromyslova as they did last year, patricularly if she faces Gulliver.
  • Options
    AZ fanAZ fan Posts: 1,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

While I admittedly do not follow the BDO very much, I am surprised that Bunting is the top seed. He must really have come on. I always felt Martin Atkins had a lot more in him but he has never kicked on - maybe I thought that because of his good record against van Barneveld.

I wouldn't go as far as Bristow but to be fair, he did win five unified titles before the split so it was a different kettle of fish.
    You know what I mean, those who come on here and slate the BDO because they aren't averaging what Taylor and MVG are and believe all the bullsh*t spoken by some Sky commentators and Alan Warriner-Little

I wish people could just look at the BDO on its own merit and enjoy it without reference to anything else (and I am by no means a BDO cheerleader). To borrow a perhaps imperfect analogy from another sport, there's nothing wrong with enjoying the Football League. It's a shame a lot of it is on ESPN but I will try to catch what I can on BBC.
  • Options
    benson_79benson_79 Posts: 1,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunting has really improved this year in fairness, looks like a totally different player. Remember when he almost beat Wade in Bolton?

Not too many have done the Masters/Lakeside double in the same year (well, the same few months), but I think he might.
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O shea Walton should be a good match, can see Wolfie winning it again though.