Why do people still pay for music?

Comments

• lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »

However, although I love Spotify, I am worried that it may squeeze out indie artists and you can read here why.. In short Spotify may be little more than a promotional tool for the big record labels which makes it more difficult for the indie labels.

I think YouTube is still the best place to find indie artists, it might be a mine field to find them... But that's the joy of it. Anyone can upload their own music onto there and promote themselves.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lala wrote: »
    I think YouTube is still the best place to find indie artists, it might be a mid field to find them... But that's the joy of it. Anyone can upload their own music onto their and promote themselves.

And places like DS which help with suggestions for what to listen out for....
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you like an artist sufficiently you will be motivated to buy a CD/LP. The argument that downloading is killing music sales is a fallacy. Before the internet and downloading came along, people taped music, but plenty still went out and bought a physical copy. Put simply there just isn't the interest in music like there used to be be in previous decades. I suspect most today just use music for background noise rather than something to listen to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always pay for music.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member

Such as Folk Metal? :D
  • Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll stop paying for music the day they make instruments; equipment; studio time; petrol; transportation; food; housing etc. completely free.

Until that time I am very happy to give money to musicians.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the general rule for anyone over 16 is that if it's recommended on Digital Spy it should be avoided at all cost!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only stuff that I have downloaded from a torrent site is this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mark-Everette-Ultra-Rare-sealed-NEW-Bad-dude-in-love-lp-EELS-front-man-MINT-/251298983029?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3a82962c75

This is the genuine normal asking price for this record, and has never been released on CD.
  • crazymonkcrazymonk Posts: 1,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People that care or know no better.
    Forum Member
    The only stuff that I have downloaded from a torrent site is this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mark-Everette-Ultra-Rare-sealed-NEW-Bad-dude-in-love-lp-EELS-front-man-MINT-/251298983029?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item3a82962c75

This is the genuine normal asking price for this record, and has never been released on CD.

So, it's ok to steal if the item you want is beyond your purchasing power?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »

If it's ridiculously beyond my purchasing power then yes.

It's not as if the artist would get any money from it, he has virtually disowned the album and the only place it's available is Ebay.

If he released it officially, at a reasonable price then yes I would buy it legally.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    gold2040 wrote: »
    Unless you take precautions ;)

I know, but it's not worth the risk. Better to be safe than sorry!
    Priorities man, priorities, gotta censor dat Pirate Bay ;)

The Pirate Bay is blocked by several ISPs here in Ireland. It was blocked after two fairly high profile court cases (IRMA v Eircom and EMI v UPC). I'm currently writing a paper for an Irish law journal on the topic of Internet regulation in Ireland so I've read a lot about it recently. The court cases regarding The Pirate Bay are a big part of it. We also have a three strikes system for illegal downloaders. My ISP (Eircom) has it.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    FrankBT wrote: »
    If you like an artist sufficiently you will be motivated to buy a CD/LP. The argument that downloading is killing music sales is a fallacy. Before the internet and downloading came along, people taped music, but plenty still went out and bought a physical copy. Put simply there just isn't the interest in music like there used to be be in previous decades. I suspect most today just use music for background noise rather than something to listen to.

I agree there probably isn't the interest in music anymore. However there is a world of difference between downloading and home taping. It took time and effort to home tape (though still illegal) and you had to have access to the original. It worried the record companies but they eventually recognised that the majority of home taping was for a copy of an album to be played in the car.

They had no idea then that it would be possible for one person to upload a song a potentially have millions download it. Which is one reason the industry is in so much trouble.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coen wrote: »
    Because I want the people who make music I like to be able to continue doing it.

Not paying for it is definitely stealing! How would you like it if your hard work was not paid for?
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this you? :D
    Forum Member
    Is this you? :D

Nope :D

There's a big difference between rampant consumerism & believing that someone should be paid for their work.

If I can't afford something, I don't buy it & I certainly won't steal it.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    beefybeef wrote: »
    ... I would rather have a high quality CD than a nasty 128Kb/s MP3.
    Nasty? Seriously?

I rip all my CDs using iTunes for playing on my computer at home or on MP3 CD-ROMs in my car I honestly can't tell the difference between original CDs and the 128kbps MP3s.

I wonder whether I would be able to tell the difference if I played the original CD and the MP3 CD-ROM on identical CD players and attached them to my amp and switched between the two sources? Nah, I'm sad, but not that sad!
  • P_PP_P Posts: 18,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coen wrote: »
    Because I want the people who make music I like to be able to continue doing it.
    chrisqc wrote: »
    1) its stealing
    2) i wanna support the artist i like
    3) I want the booklet, liner notes

4) dont own mp3 player/cell/tablet
    beefybeef wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that stealing it is wrong and unfair to the artist, I would rather have a high quality CD than a nasty 128Kb/s MP3.
    I'll stop paying for music the day they make instruments; equipment; studio time; petrol; transportation; food; housing etc.completely free.
    Until that time I am very happy to give money to musicians.

I agree with all of these.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope :D

There's a big difference between rampant consumerism & believing that someone should be paid for their work.

If I can't afford something, I don't buy it & I certainly won't steal it.

Who exactly am I stealing from. As I said, the artist has virtually disowned the album, he has no plans to release it, it was only ever given away to his friends in the first place as a way of getting his name out into the public arena.

If I paid the £2k for this album, would he benefit? Would he see any part of the money?

I support this artist in a big way. I have seen his band 4 times this year, have bought both the deluxe version and vinyl copy of the new album and have all the singles. If he released this officially I would pay for it, even though I already have it.

Don't accuse people of being thieves if you don't know all the facts about something.
    Forum Member
    Who exactly am I stealing from. As I said, the artist has virtually disowned the album, he has no plans to release it, it was only ever given away to his friends in the first place as a way of getting his name out into the public arena.

If I paid the £2k for this album, would he benefit? Would he see any part of the money?

I support this artist in a big way. I have seen his band 4 times this year, have bought both the deluxe version and vinyl copy of the new album and have all the singles. If he released this officially I would pay for it, even though I already have it.

Don't accuse people of being thieves if you don't know all the facts about something.

I wasn't talking about you :confused: I was referring to the iPhones
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't talking about you :confused:

I appear to be the only one who has mentioned an album which was being sold for over £2K, and the only one who has mentioned not being able to afford the asking price, so I think you probably had me in mind when you made the comment
    Forum Member
    I appear to be the only one who has mentioned an album which was being sold for over £2K, and the only one who has mentioned not being able to afford the asking price, so I think you probably had me in mind when you made the comment

Oh right no. Your case seems to be an exception to the rule :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Although if I did have lots of money I may well buy a copy.......
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    td1983 wrote: »
    Why argue about something as trivial as that? Think of the children starving in the world....
    Agree with you about YouTube, though. You don't even need to download music, when people upload it for free on there anyway. Besides, you can download YouTube videos if you know how to. I find this whole, very British sense of "fair play" in this thread a bit cloying, to be honest.

Owning a paid CD is better for an album, but music can be enjoyed for free if you know where online to look for it.

Why is it a "very British sense of fair play"? The vast majority of artists make music for the love of making music it is the exceptional few who become very rich through music.

Most of the music I listen to are from bands who's members have to have real jobs to make ends meet, they will certainly not be retiring in five year's time multimillionaires.
    Forum Member
    Why is it a "very British sense of fair play"? The vast majority of artists make music for the love of making music it is the exceptional few who become very rich through music.

Most of the music I listen to are from bands who's members have to have real jobs to make ends meet, they will certainly not be retiring in five year's time multimillionaires.

Yes, so many bands have to take second jobs or just tour their asses off, in order to make any money. There's even situations where band members leave because they can't face a heavy touring schedule. Yet so many people think it's ok to download illegally, thus denying musicians the ability to earn a proper living.