Options

Michael Douglas

Comments

• Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jezebeth wrote: »
    I first noticed him in the tv show Streets of San Francisco with Karl Malden. He played a cop. Very young at the time. That was a bit before his Romancing the Stone days.

I hope he recovers and it is very obvious that his wife has lost weight because of worry and not because she's trying to emulate the many celebrity stick figures that abound in Hollywood. You can see by her face that she is very stressed and he looks so frail poor soul.

I think he's a fighter though and I wish him well.

Jezebeth, how lovely that you are posting again, I have missed you. Are you OK?
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Can someone explain what stage 4 is? Doesn't sound good.

There are four stages of cancer; each level defines whether the cancer has spread to other areas of the body beyond the original source of disease, also taking into account the size and depth of the tumour.

Stage 4 means the cancer has travelled beyond the primary site and to other organs.
  • Options
    Neighbours_FanNeighbours_Fan Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    I had no idea he had stage 4 cancer. I thought his would be stage 1 or 2. That's terrible :(
  • Options
    di60di60 Posts: 5,432
    Forum Member
    I had no idea he had stage 4 cancer. I thought his would be stage 1 or 2. That's terrible :(

I'm very surprised that, despite having access to the best healthcare money can by, they didn't detect it sooner :confused:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/sep/02/catherine-zeta-jones-michael-douglas
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    di60 wrote: »
    I'm very surprised that, despite having access to the best healthcare money can by, they didn't detect it sooner :confused:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/sep/02/catherine-zeta-jones-michael-douglas

It appears he has felt unwell for quite a while, he has complained of ear ache and a sore throat, and nothing was done. That really surprises me, I thought the Americans were very health concious. With all their money he could afford the very best care one would think.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,111
    Forum Member
    fredster wrote: »
    Jezebeth, how lovely that you are posting again, I have missed you. Are you OK?

Thanks Fredster, yes, I am getting there, been a difficult couple of years though...now forcibly medically retired. Haven't even looked at the forums for that long either. Still a few folk around that I recognise though.
  • Options
    steve9999steve9999 Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    There are four stages of cancer; each level defines whether the cancer has spread to other areas of the body beyond the original source of disease, also taking into account the size and depth of the tumour.

Stage 4 means the cancer has travelled beyond the primary site and to other organs.

It hasn't...

"Michael Douglas spoke candidly with Letterman about his stage 4 throat cancer -- the most advanced form of the illness. The 65-year-old said he's undergoing a brutal mix of chemotherapy and radiation to treat a tumor at the base of his tongue. But since the cancer has not spread below his throat, he is optimistic about his recovery, noting an 80% chance at this point to oust the ailment"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It appears he has felt unwell for quite a while, he has complained of ear ache and a sore throat, and nothing was done. That really surprises me, I thought the Americans were very health concious. With all their money he could afford the very best care one would think.

It might have been fear that stopped him from getting it investigated. You might be surprised just how many people want to stick their head in the sand when it comes to cancer or any other serious illness. They don't want to believe it will happen to them. Probably kept dismissing the sore throat and earache as an infection. He might even have been treated for that, many people in the US (but not all of course), just phone in the symptoms and the doctor will write a prescription for them to pick up. Especially if they've known the patient for a few years.
  • Options
    sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have this sad feeling he might not make it. Having been through cancer myself I know the impact it has on your life and those around you. How awful for them :(

CZJ must be having a hell of a time. I do feel for her. Wish them both strength and luck with this one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Fredster, yes, I am getting there, been a difficult couple of years though...now forcibly medically retired. Haven't even looked at the forums for that long either. Still a few folk around that I recognise though.

Well. I am glad you are back, some of our "friends" unfortunatley have permanent bans. bantering goes on and people rise to it. A shame really, but as we both know you have to button your lip sometimes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »
    I have this sad feeling he might not make it. Having been through cancer myself I know the impact it has on your life and those around you. How awful for them :(

CZJ must be having a hell of a time. I do feel for her. Wish them both strength and luck with this one.

I hope you are wrong in his case. They strike me as a solid couple. I am glad that you have come through your cancer.
    I am a cancer phobic, having lost two sisters to it ,both in their early fifties.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It might have been fear that stopped him from getting it investigated. You might be surprised just how many people want to stick their head in the sand when it comes to cancer or any other serious illness. They don't want to believe it will happen to them. Probably kept dismissing the sore throat and earache as an infection. He might even have been treated for that, many people in the US (but not all of course), just phone in the symptoms and the doctor will write a prescription for them to pick up. Especially if they've known the patient for a few years.

I think i read somewhere that he and CZJ knew something was wrong and went to Doctors, but they kept dismissing them. Hope and prayers for Micheal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My grandad died of cancer four years ago and having to watch a loved one suffer through a terminal illness is the most distressing thing I've had to go through so far.

My heart goes out to CZJ. I hope she has a good support network of trustworthy people around her to help her through this, whatever the outcome.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It reminds me of Patrick Swayze, we all wish them the best, but deep down we know that it's probably all over. Also, it must be heartbreaking for his father who's already outlived one son. HIs mother too if she's still alive.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steve9999 wrote: »
    It hasn't...

"Michael Douglas spoke candidly with Letterman about his stage 4 throat cancer -- the most advanced form of the illness. The 65-year-old said he's undergoing a brutal mix of chemotherapy and radiation to treat a tumor at the base of his tongue. But since the cancer has not spread below his throat, he is optimistic about his recovery, noting an 80% chance at this point to oust the ailment"

I was giving a general definition of what stage 4 cancer usually entails.

Only Michael and his doctors will know the full extent of his illness, not me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think i read somewhere that he and CZJ knew something was wrong and went to Doctors, but they kept dismissing them. Hope and prayers for Micheal.

Yeah, I read a small piece in a US online newspaper that said something like that. That's the problem with throat cancer though, the symptoms aren't very clear until it's usually too late. After all we all get sore throats.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well. I am glad you are back, some of our "friends" unfortunatley have permanent bans. bantering goes on and people rise to it. A shame really, but as we both know you have to button your lip sometimes.

Too true Fred... the way things were going a couple of years ago it seemed better to make as graceful a retreat as I could, then I became quite ill and had a real lack of interest in the forums. All I did when I felt up to it were write some more of my stories and play World of Warcraft. That game has been a life and sanity saver for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Hope he's ok.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This doesn't sound at all good and is sad. They seem wonderfully happy together and these days 66 is no age. They should have been able to enjoy a good 20 more years together. His dad's 93 and still going strong, a painful time for everyone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This doesn't sound at all good and is sad. They seem wonderfully happy together and these days 66 is no age. They should have been able to enjoy a good 20 more years together. His dad's 93 and still going strong, a painful time for everyone.

He's not dead yet Nesta!
  • Options
    notfussynotfussy Posts: 1,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read that for throat cancer a stage IV grading means a less than 10% survival rate.
    I'm hoping that Michael is in that 10%.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Where there is life, you just have to hope.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So Sorry for the whole family but if they cut away the cancer is that when you loose your vocal chords.
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's not dead yet Nesta!

Gosh, sorry - I honestly think I subconsciously meant that to read as "they deserve to have" a good 20 years more years, as to me he's always seemed "youngish." He's doing his best to be strong and seems determined to fight this as hard as he can. There have been a few positive cancer stories recently, and I agree that it's important to keep hope.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he survives, it seems very unlikely he'll do so with his tongue. Doubly sad for an actor.